The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night, managed to get in six hours sleep. For those who are wondering where Autumn has gone you only have to wait until Thursday when the temperature will drop to 12C. from the present balmy 18C. and you'll have to be quick to photograph the Autumn colours as there will be a strong north wind.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

No idea. Tools?

At first they appeared to be hanging from a platform face but they must be further away from the running lines than that.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Cool and wet but a bit of blue sky here and there this morning.  There seemed to be a lot of things to do after breakfast so I have only just got around to playing with the computer.

Not too much is planned, I've done the dusting, tidying, some washing and thinking about what to get rid of next.  A number of things now have new homes as space has become available by getting rid of things that are no use.

I might "play" with things which on bits of nickel silver later on but if the weather clears up I'll make a start on the next bit of the autumn greenhouse clearout.

The next job is to find out why the PC will no longer cast to the TV in the spare/office/hobbies room despite saying it is doing andthe TV auto switching to the right input.  It worked last week.

David

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

No idea. Tools?

I first read this as though you were asking advice from us tools....

(Is tools a derogatory word meaning idiot or similar  there like here ? If not, this post falls flat!)

• Funny 10

2 minutes ago, Darlington_Shed said:

Day 2 of covid isolation - I am banished to the spare bedroom. Seriously bored.

Turn that frown upside down  - its the perfect opportunity to redecorate.

My suggested  theme is  prison cell chic - just like this, you'll be an Instagram sensation.

image.png.cb54dd58de23205b1c8d4b953e0ec870.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

I found out why the PC would not cast to the upstairs TV - the feed I am casting must be dislayed full screen on the PC, then it works.   When it casts it switches oof the display on the PC screen.  I think it depends on the video source.   I don't know why.

I don't think I could work in IT doing software things any more, things have changed in the last 11 years!

David

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Today the magpie babies from the nest in my tree fledged and have been spotted in various locations around the back yard gripping unsteadily to branches, taking in the big world.

There are two for certain because I've  seen two sitting together  but there's possibly three -  they make a constant noise like a squeaky toy  when its feeding time which seems to be coming from at least three different locations. 

The parents have been demanding more food from me , so I've had to stock up on extra mince and almonds. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, DaveF said:

don't think I could work in IT doing software things any more, things have changed in the last 11 years!

My brother in law asked me to generate some flowcharts for him. I did so but thought I didn’t remember what software I had used in the past. Then I realised I had last used little plastic templates to draw the shapes. My last paid employment was last century.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

At first they appeared to be hanging from a platform face but they must be further away from the running lines than that.

I think Phil is on the wrong track ( pun intended ) about running lines and the Shinkansen track .

Tokyo main station form above .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.681682,139.7686631,723m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MTAwMi4xIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

The blue/white tracks are the Shinkansen ones and they terminate at the lower end 

of the station .

This is in the middle of the station complex , notice a Shinkansen in the far platform .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.6814154,139.7675409,2a,90y,108.3h,74.11t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-xmp1k_V3T0PCyyl9HmVCQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fcb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile%26w%3D900%26h%3D600%26pitch%3D15.893259900032959%26panoid%3D-xmp1k_V3T0PCyyl9HmVCQ%26yaw%3D108.30355778572866!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205410&entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MTAwMi4xIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Aditi was at Benfleet station one morning when somehow she managed to drop her lunch container off the platform. It had a flask and some sandwiches and fruit. Probably her Winnie the Pooh bag (serious academic, for,the use of). She was worried it would derail the train, so she went and reported it to the man at the ticket barrier. The nice man said they wouid retrieve it after rush hour but it wasn’t hazardous to the trains.   I went later and collected the flask.  They  had disposed of the food saying you wouldn’t want anything that had been down on the trackside!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I think Phil is on the wrong track ( pun intended ) about running lines and the Shinkansen track .

Tokyo main station form above .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.681682,139.7686631,723m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MTAwMi4xIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

The blue/white tracks are the Shinkansen ones and they terminate at the lower end 

of the station .

This is in the middle of the station complex , notice a Shinkansen in the far platform .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.6814154,139.7675409,2a,90y,108.3h,74.11t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-xmp1k_V3T0PCyyl9HmVCQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fcb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile%26w%3D900%26h%3D600%26pitch%3D15.893259900032959%26panoid%3D-xmp1k_V3T0PCyyl9HmVCQ%26yaw%3D108.30355778572866!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205410&entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MTAwMi4xIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

That explains it, beneath the platforms is a staff area and the platforms don't have a face as such so making the area visible.  Useful if a passenger were to fall off of the platform.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Further to the above , if you do a Youtube search for Shinkansen there are several

clips of passing trains in stations , it looks like if it's a multi track place then it uses the

central tracks , if it is a platform pass there are substantial barriers .

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

They  had disposed of the food saying you wouldn’t want anything that had been down on the trackside!

Quite so, certainly in the days before retention toilets.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The real oddity being it's a Japanese train in  Japan, which only a japanese driver would use, but the "push" is written in English and the numeral in the window is written with an English / European numeral.

The Japanese do a lot of dual marking of things ,road signs are very noticeable , not

just in major city's but all over ,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.6818539,139.7756707,3a,20.4y,330.92h,101.16t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sWGHFg9-mvJMVeN-pDZ0OqQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fcb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile%26w%3D900%26h%3D600%26pitch%3D-11.164221584842025%26panoid%3DWGHFg9-mvJMVeN-pDZ0OqQ%26yaw%3D330.91667132437533!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205410&entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MTAwMi4xIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

We saw the rescue boat yesterday. That's the Boss and I. If I'd known it was you I would have waved. It was zooming about collecting the big orange round things - bouys? There weren't many dinghies out, hence the collection of those round things I suppose.

There were signs up saying don't go in the water due to green algae. That upset the Boss as she does like a good paddle.

We only had 3 races yesterday, so were packing up early, at around 1 o'clock ISH had there been 4 races we would have stopped for lunch restarted at 14:00 for the second  two races.

The dinghies were the last fleet to start and finish, so many boats had already gone home. However it was a poor turn out. Next week end it's the end of season regatta, two races Saturday afternoon on the broad, then normally 4 on the Sunday. we'll get a better turn out hurricanes permitting.

Yes twas me at the helm of rescue boat 1, collecting buoys, following the last two boats round the course, then the start finish marks.

The algae signs get left out even when there isn't any, our dinghy sailers are always in and out of the water all year round, they've never had a problem.

If you look at the water you wish to paddle in, if it's not green and doesn't have green streaks of algae in it ,  you're safe enough to paddle. Just wash your paws, if not immediately, later that day. Dogs have the worst problem they tend to drink the water..

Blue green algae..

17283000222096208775112426855217.jpg.b1c5225dd4c00c5e076b714c78dfe235.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

After horses, Magpies are the most feared of Australian animals - they even have their own  website which details swooping bird attacks:

https://www.magpiealert.com/

But being territorial they will stay in the same area all their lives and get to know you so if you treat them nice, they leave you alone.

. My pair  - "The Count" and "Princess Mad" -  have been nesting  in my trees for the last 5 years.

A few days after fledging  they always  bring their chicks down and introduce them to me, or maybe me to them -  and although some stay skittish, others are very forward and interact in a lovely way. 

My favourite one was this one which was born   when I was in lockdown and working every second day from home. I'd sit out on the back deck with my laptop and he learned that to get fed he just had to stand between me and the screen..

image.png.8b1d8d1c37cb651341c3e5c3a236455a.png

When he wasn't eating he'd often sit on the chair opposite me and practice his magpie noises. They started off comically squeaky but he got better and got to the point where he'd sit beside me and show off.

Sometimes I'd try to imitate him just to see what he did, and it was like he was  feeling sorry for my ineptness and would do a bit for me to copy:

As I said, Magpies are territorial so the fathers chase the male offspring off  of their patch once they are of an age, and one day he was just gone.

I hope he's doing ok, wherever he is.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

I first read this as though you were asking advice from us tools....

(Is tools a derogatory word meaning idiot or similar  there like here ? If not, this post falls flat!)

Yes toolis often used as a derogatory term analagous to someone being a dipstick.

I've never understood why the C word relating to a part of the female anatomy, is derogatory.  In my experience they can be anything but. 

Jamie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Lunch? all that there is is a couple of eggs so its a fried egg buttie. Will be shopping at Tess Coes shortly. 

2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes toolis often used as a derogatory term analagous to someone being a dipstick.

I've never understood why the C word relating to a part of the female anatomy, is derogatory.  In my experience they can be anything but. 

Jamie

I prefer w****r myself.

11 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I've never understood why the C word relating to a part of the female anatomy, is derogatory.

Its not necessarily derogatory down here in the home of swearing

Just like eskimos have 127 words for snow or whatever, we have at least that many uses for the C word.

It can be used endearingly,  "Ya daft C..!",  as a pronoun "Hey Bill, this C... was asking about ya ute..." , in revelatory terms "You'll never guess what  THIS mad  C.. just did!"  or just as a term of identification "Oi, you, no not YOU, the C.. behind you!"  and so on.

Basically if someone calls you  a C... here then don't take it to heart, we are all C..s  at one time or other.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1