The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

Did you manage to wangle a Ticket in the end?

No. 

There is no wangling to be done. The invitation and reception is a personal one in connection with CHOGM.  Dr SWMBO has been commanded by the Master of the Household to be presented to Their Majesties.  I am commanded to say no more until after the event. 

• Friendly/supportive 8

On 25/09/2024 at 22:48, BR60103 said:

Ian Abel:  in today's crossword: Minneapolis suburb (5 letters).   Thank you.

Sorry, I intended to say " you're welcome" but missed including the quote.

At least I know there's enough of a world-view of this part of the planet to occasionally be in a crossword at least 😀

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

sydney is built on sandstone that the powers that be love tunnelling through for all kinds of reasons.

When it comes to motorways, we tax-paying public pick up the bill for the work, then the government sells the motorway to Transurban who are direct descendents of the bushrangers. They bail us up continuously on our journeys by demanding money for us to drive through the tunnels that we originally paid for. 

A similar system operates here such as the Dartford river crossing.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.  After the shopping this afternoon my joints did protest greatly. An hour stretched out on the bed didn't help much but the change in the weather seems to have done the trick. The wetness has disappeared in the direction of France and now there is a cold but dry blast from the north.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

When it's wet and windy from the north, charges down the North sea till it hits norfolk.

We do not have rocks to make the big splashes, it just washes away our coast line..

However there are lots of wrecks on the sands off the coast hence..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Blogg

The museum went well today, but I only did three grand tours for visitors round the history room, but one of those had 4 groups of two people, which at least saves the voice from doing independent tours.

More done to diorama, I thought I'd finished the fencing.. but no. They've built more in the last fortnight this time solid wood fencing to hide a project from prying eyes. What that is I've no idea, I don't suppose it will be out in the open much anyway. I've not yet added all the new fences as I spotted some only when I was packing up.

Didn't get much done at the MRC as they are having a move around and yours truly has to move his first which it has at least partly, as I can't put the rest back up till the next one moves.

When I got home it was to a very unhappy swmbo, unscheduled power went off lunch time for several hours, no heating, lighting , and most upsetting no cups of tea.

The stuff I ordered has all arrived which slightly cheered up swmbo as;

A, some special rare pencils were in the order, 

B, to occupy her self during power less times she made a variation on a drop spinner / spindle. It needed some careful sanding . By chance in my part of the delivery was.... Some sanding sticks so the drop spindle has been finished to her satisfaction.

Also in the delivery was...

17274724947786653067183362375611.jpg.a89d497443a20b595788dbbb2d57dd03.jpg

Amplification 1 to 1200.. 7 inch display, will talk to a PC or TV.. less than one 1/3 of a Deltic..

That should help The eye sight..

If people wish a report will follow..

Twas blowing a hoolie all day, still is, luckily just light rain at the times I was outside. Currently gusting 40mph.

I think it's day 5 of the are they or aren't they pills.. since the side effects are still here, it getting more certain they are they.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

@BoD herself says no.. it is her birthday...

@Two_sugars ready to wear thermals have been identified and will be deployed.

Bit chilly watching the cricket at Headingley today...

Spare keys for the garage door have been procured. (Took a while to find the correct blank). @polybeardid I mention it's a 1.5 size garage?

time for sleep...

baz

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

I found a camera bag of the right size for the new camera at the nearest Currys so that was very easy, the camera fits it will.  Then I set off for home which is less than 15 minutes away via a  roundabout route.  I visited the nature reserve at East Cramlington and had a quick walk and remembered to look at the bird feeders.  Nothing much was happening as the feeders are not all kept full at this time of year but there was a chaffinch eating peanuts.  It was a useful test of the zoom capability (equivalent to around 1,200 mm in 35 mm film terms) though the bird tried to hide

Then I drove to Seaton Sluice to have a look at the sea, it was quite choppy.  Again a few photos were taken using the full zoom, it was quite hard to hold the camera still in the wind.

After coming back home for coffee I pottered about and did a bit in the graden, put things away which accumulated in the porch and so on.  This afternoon I visited some friends who told me I missed a coffee morning today which had very good cakes.

The sinusitis has decided to shift, I think a tap has turned on in my nose.

sIMG_0023EastCramlington.jpg.b562355fe0b4d4d83532101cdae3c1ed.jpg

Bird feeder with chaffinch, just a test shot with the new camera

sIMG_0026SeatonSluice.jpg.5f6573bd9dae31d56cc394584fdedaa6.jpg

Seaton Sluice harbour entrance in a strong NE wind.

sIMG_0027SeatonSluice.jpg.2afcc6e85358c80f4d4440ac555ec5fc.jpg

Blyth south harbour from Seaton Sluice, it is at least 2 miles away.

David

David - those are very good photographs indeed.

Sorry to everyone who knows me but to those who don't, I thought that the chaffinch was a nuthatch (I am hopeless with birds).

Love the shot of Seaton Sluice - was that taken from the footpath on the road-bridge?  Good shot of the turbine at Blyth - my guess is that it's almost three miles - the much wider view of the whole array, from the drive past SD Hall, takes me back to the 1980s, when it was classed as "experimental offshore", despite being in tidal waters...

regards

cs

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

One way or another, just like yesterday, I’ve been a very busy boy! But no corridor connections have been made today, I’ve been busy doing other stuff instead. 

It was dry today, but quite cool this morning, cool enough for me to put a jacket on when I went to the butchers! 

Last night, Sheila noticed a lump in her groin, not very big and was giving her no pain, but disturbing nonetheless. So, first thing this morning she was onto the doctors to try and get an appointment. She initially spoke to a receptionist, then a doctor phone her a short time later and an appointment was made for 1pm. At about the same time, I had a phone call from the secretary of my oncologist about an up and coming appointment I’ve got. This needed to be re-arranged so that it was AFTER my PSA test, but I’ll be going to ‘The Christie’ for a face-to face appointment this time, not a phone call, like the last few. Then it was off to the butchers for the weekly meat rations and a pork pie for my dinner. Once back, we headed off to the Trafford Centre. Last week, I had a new battery fitted in one of my watches, last night it stopped! So, the watch shop was my first port of call, to get it looked at. He could find nothing wrong with the watch, but changed the battery just in case it was a dud. On our way back home, I dropped Sheila off at the surgery, then came back home and put the shopping away. Once that was done, it was back out to collect Sheila and then home for dinner. The doctor seems to think she has a hernia, but for now, they are just going to monitor it, if it gets worse, she’s to get in touch asap. 

After dinner, I finished baking the fruit tea loaf I’d left soaking overnight, then tackled some rhubarb that I’d bought this morning. It had been reduced to less than half price, so I bought 2kg. This was cut up and cooked once the cake was in the oven. I finally got to sit down at about 3:45 with what I termed as a well earned muggertea and watched last night’s ‘Question Time’ which is always entertaining, probably for all the wrong reasons. 

• Friendly/supportive 4