The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Always wanted a unimat, but could never quite justify getting one, at the moment I have a distinct lack of worktop space to put one.

Mooring Awl,

5 hours near solid sleep,  short awake, 2 hours near solid sleep, needed

Day 2 of new, are they or aren't they pills, still feeling side effects.

Pictures are arriving from various members of the cousins reunion, of the event and of various members of the family to add to family historys.

Including a photo of a former member of Southampton, Manchester united and England football teams. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Rawlings

Plans for the day,

There is a radiator cover to take apart ( was flat pack anyway), it had to be removed when mum had a stair lift fitted.

But first,

Time for muggacoffee .

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's money is on the little kid.

If it follows the usual disaster movie format the little kid will discover something that will lead to the agent but not before the body count is higher, that body count will include the politician. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

There has been a recent outbreak of ML (“Machine Lust”)

All this heavy metal.

Should I get the Motörhead shirt / CDs out and crank the speakers up to 15?  

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good night last night with only one interruption, six hours sleep in all. It certainly rained last night by the sounds of it which must have lulled me to sleep. Will have to shop today, just the usual bread, milk and eggs, be back later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull, damp and miserable day here in England’s northwest corner, there’ll definitely NOT be any outside activities being done today. The plan is to spend an hour or so in the office downstairs doing a bit of work on the computer and scanning some drawings of items that run on parallel metal strips. This afternoon we’ll do the weekly shop, as we’re getting low on bread, milk and fruit etc. other than that it’s more of the same. 

I’ve never owned a UNIMAT lathe, but Sheila did my me a micro lathe some years ago and it’s had quite a bit of use. In all the years I’ve had it, the only thing that’s needed attention is a replacement drive belt earlier in the year. It came with a 3 jaw chuck, but I bought an adjustable top slide when I got the lathe, which has paid for itself on many occasions. There is about 12 inches between the chuck and the tail stock centre and the maximum diameter work I can do is about 4 inches. I relocated it a few years ago, so it now stands in front of the window instead of in the corner, the light is much better there. I also have a bench drill stand and a small twin head grindstone too, this is great for sharpening drills etc. 

Here's a photo of the lathe in its original location. 

workshop6.jpeg.457c6df18e122da1ea89da6e2fe2a6f7.jpeg

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

All this heavy metal.

Should I get the Motörhead shirt / CDs out and crank the speakers up to 15?  

Dunno about Heavy Metal, when I saw iDs prescription for treating ML, I immediately thought of The Fall...

The first verse even mentions lathes, though I don't think Mark E Smith was referring to our esteemed colleagues...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I had an earlyish start, was just getting breakfast at 08.00 when I had a phone call from Clare to say that either she or Scott would come between 9 and 11 to sort out the boiler.

I'd just finished the Monday morning jobs when Clare came at 9.  I now have new plastic pipes for the condensate/pressure relief boiler wastes.  One of the joints was leaking so she decided that rather than trying to reglue it it would be simpler just to replace the pipes as they are over 15 years old.  It took her just over 40 minutes, total cost including the bits £48.  If it doesn't cure it she will come back again. She also gave me some £5 notes for a £20 note I had which is useful if I am just buying a coffee - some places here really prefer cash.

I now have some bits of old pipe and some new offcuts for modelling purposes.

Apart from that I slept quite well, there has been a bit of light rain which may continue during the day and I have done the usual things with the PC, including getting cross with - it will get an overdue restart in a few minutes to setle it down.

The rest of the day will depend on the weather.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

As its a grey, soggy day, I'm going on an ear-lowering trip.

Haven't seen the top of my ears since before the holidays....  🤪

You are lucky

The top of my ears haven't seen my hair for years

• Friendly/supportive 1

Youngest daughter off to uni to do her Masters. I asked if she wanted me to walk her to the gates to check she was OK, but she declined...

As compensation, just got a summer 1956 WTT for the Derby - Bristol line in the post. Summer ones seem to be rarer to find than the winter ones.

• Like 1