The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Re @iL Dottore's comments about cooking game. My C*******s dinner is usually *venison. I use the slow cooker as I can just switch on and forget it for a couple of hours. But it should not be left for too long as it ends up as a stew. *Culled from wild herds.

ION The problems with settling my brothers estate are still ongoing but my niece and nephew have come into some money from an uncle in Australia (my ex SiL's brother) and are off to a jolly in New York in a few days time.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

500.....no wonder Mickey was a bit sluggish on the way back to Bear Towers.....

🤣

image.png.4a0e0a575227c463d940492e4ceffc7a.png

It's actually an SL1000; there's a receipt for it in the box dated 1972 - £52.......

There's a fair few nice-to-have accessories with it as well, including the milling attachment, 4-J Chuck and Collet Chuck 🙂

All in all, well worth sacrificing a Deltic for.

Sadly the original Manual was missing ☹️ - I understand there are various do's & don'ts to be aware of (such as a 30min motor run time) still to be discovered.  Bear is hoping for some expert instruction sometime soon....

image.png.ae970aba7a04982afa6bc61a93080dff.png

Puppers is rather envious of those collets and the vertical column come to think of it.

This is  a good little book and there are a number of others too.

image.png.22c4252af8f67cf3192fbb5b684660bd.png

20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear doesn't recall that event (rather worrying....) - I'd jump at the chance now......Deltics waiting.....

That's because your beary brain has been damaged by UPLDC!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, PupCam said:

That's because your beary brain has been damaged by UPLDC!

Ok, so how much is iD paying you.....😒

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

The sun has decided to go and hide somewhere else, it’s nowhere to be seen here. Thankfully the rain has stopped

Rain has given way to fog.  Which lifted and allowed more rain to fall.  That then ceased and the fog has returned.  I wasn't doing much with today anyway.  

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TheQ said:

it was Saturday night and its freshers week here. Edinburgh was teaming with students, it seems wide belts rather than skirts are very much in fashion for the girls and in many cases make that narrow belts.

Two years ago I had cause to be in Kingston-upon-Thames rather early in the morning (as in 3am) on what turned out to be the Saturday night / Sunday morning of Fresher's Week.  Not just at Kingston University but at the nearby St. Mary's University which was just over the road from us at the Hill of Strawberries.  

The place was teeming with students.  Some awaiting dubious "fast-food", others hoping for an Uber ride, most still trying to get into the night clubs which had already closed their doors.  

Chaps were variously attired in quite smart shirts and jackets though the "open-front shirt" look seemed popular.  The girls were just about attired.  Wide belts, narrow belts, tops which only just covered some of the essentials and not always reliably.  I think I was witness to more underwear than on a visit to M&S and much of that seemed to be of minimalist styles.  I was also witness to more bared body than on a summer's day at Brighton beach!  

Standing at the bus stop awaiting my 281 home - one of London's 24/7 you've-never-missed-the-last-bus routes - I was accosted by a gaggle of inebriated female youth one of whom greeted me with the words "Would you like a bra?" as she wrapped her aforesaid garment around my face.  Her friends took photos of the moment.  I'm guessing it was hers because she was visible not wearing such a thing beneath what passed for a "top".  I did wonder what they all made of those pics; black lacy underwear draped around the head of a chap visibly much older than they were and with full grey face-fungus to boot.  The joys of youth, eh?  

Fresher's was never like that in my day. It involved alcohol.  But it never spilled over into the streets.  Not in the City of London.  

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PupCam said:

This is  a good little book and there are a number of others too.

image.png.22c4252af8f67cf3192fbb5b684660bd.png

Thanks Puppers - a search reveals all sellers want OODLES for this....but cunning Bear discovered freebie pdf copies of this plus "The Book of the Unimat" on pdfcoffee.com 😁

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Grizz said:

Oh great….so what you are basically saying is that tomorrow there’s gonna be more dark than light? 

Cobblers to that, I’m off to hibernate…….now where did I put that crate of Bowmore?

Bowmore!!!!.................... you have a whole Island to choose from and you picked one of the worst, you need a trip to Islay and visit the distilleries, I did them all except Caol Isla which was shut for maintenance. If you are not a peat monster try Bunnahabhain.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Bowmore!!!!.................... you have a whole Island to choose from and you picked one of the worst, you need a trip to Islay and visit the distilleries, I did them all except Caol Isla which was shut for maintenance. If you are not a peat monster try Bunnahabhain.

😆…….in the past I have spent a good deal of time in Scotland, the Highlands and Islands, with friends and with work and I’ve tried all sorts of Whisky.

As with most things in this life, it all a matter of personal taste, in this case quite literally. I have a taste for Bowmore’s 12 yr Old Single Malt Whisky. It suits my pallet. It warms me from my stomach up…..not as with bad whisky, which burns the lips, mouth, throat, gullet and stomach. 

As it happens I am imbibing right now…….and it is most pleasant.

Skål….

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

In French, queue is a tail.  Snake or tail?  Both more descriptive than queue, which in English means?  Well queue, I suppose but is not descriptive.

I understand that in British English the term tail back is used for a backed up queue of vehicles.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

It's still dull and cool here, 13°C all day but at least it is dry.  Church was OK this morning, one of our organists has Covid so the other one stepped in at short notice (it's only a couple of steps from his seat in the choir to the organ).

Lunch was simple as I was going out, on the way home from church I visited the baker's and bought another Kornish pasty and a raspberry and apple slice which went down well as a dessert with some custard.  I hate to think how many calories I consumed.

This afternoon has been spent in a village hall at my monthly group meeting about models of things we are not supposed to mention on here.  The heating was on as it was cold which was very nice.

Next will be the usual mix of TV, book and music.

David

• Like 2