The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Greetings from old London town! Back in blighty, always nice (if for no other reason than I can pick up the latest Viz in hard copy, it's how I keep up to date with current affairs).

I made the mistake of flying via Shanghai as Shanghai is hit by the worst typhoon for years, and typhoons are pretty brutal at any time let alone really big ones. The inbound arrival into Singapore was three hours late with a knock on effect on my flight arriving into Shanghai meaning I assumed I'd missed the connection as it was a 2 and a bit hour transfer. Oh well, hey-ho these things happen and I was expecting to have a day in Shanghai and fly tonight or re-routed via Beijing. Made worse by being sent to a spot on the apron because of congestion at the terminal gates because of disruption.

However, the purser asked me to stand by the door as we taxied to the parking spot as she'd been told I would be taken straight to the gate and would make the flight. As soon as the door opened I was whisked off to a minibus and driven to some steps from the tarmac up to the boarding gate for the London flight, went through an ad-hoc security check at the gate by a security guy and onto the flight. The door was literally closed as soon as I was onboard and the pier disconnected to get ready to push back. They won't have held things just for me, I'm guessing with so much disruption a lot of connecting passengers were affected and at a certain point it becomes more sensible to hold the flight for a bit rather than have to figure out how to get a lot of people onto alternative flights but it was nevertheless a good effort to get me straight from the inbound flight to the outbound flight by-passing all the usual formalities.

The down side is my bag arrives tomorrow but c'est la vie, I really can't complain about that. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A Good Day was had today....

A visit to S4um was called for - most excellent it was too**

The wallet took a slight hammering in the process; the visit also enabled Bear to collect a certain (and very nice) Austrian-made Lathe, Milling attachment & accessories for the very fair price of a Deltic.  Unfortunately the sale was a part of a deceased modeller's effects 😢 - though the seller was very pleased the effects weren't ending up in a skip etc. (something I suspect all of us need to plan for.....).

Catering?  Well I did think £2.70 for an "all-day refillable tea/coffee" was a nice idea; they even had a choice of the following:

B/F Tea Bags/Decaf Tea/Earl Grey Tea/Mint Tea/some sort of posh fancy tea/coffee/gold blend decaf.

....as well as....

Semi-skimmed milk/oat milk/semi-oat milk.

- which I reckon must be a first for a muddle railway exhibition?

Scoff?  Well Bear was seduced by a calorie-free snagger & egg in a bun; fortunately(??) I did think the size vs. price ratio of the cake on offer was "somewhat ambitious" [other phrases are available...] so Bear's d*et wasn't under threat toooo seriously.....

BG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

… The down side is my bag arrives tomorrow but c'est la vie, I really can't complain about that. 

We once had a change in Denver which was seriously disrupted by thunder, lightning, very heavy rain and a slight engine problem (fixed on the tarmac, in the rain). As a result, we missed our scheduled flight on to Houston, but were on the next one. Our luggage, however, made the scheduled flight and was patiently waiting for us in a corner of the baggage hall in Houston.

Edited by pH
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Today I spent the best part of 4 hours, retro fitting the tissue paper top to some of the corridor connections that I’d already built. In that time I only managed to get about 8 done and destroyed another 4! In the time taken to do all this, I could have made just short of 2 dozen, so I’ve decided to leave the remaining units un-altered and begin making new ones, as it’s so much easier and the cost implication is minimal, we’re actually talking just a few pennies per unit! 

The evening was rounded off, by settling down for the night with a nice bottle of red and watching a film, tonight’s choice being the 355. An interesting film, but I don’t think we’ll be watching it again. Just as we were about to start watching the film, it started to rain, it’s still raining now.