The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Are they not both preliminary / semi-finals?

Yes. Who ever wins between the Cats and the Brisbane Lions today will play the Swans in the Grand final next Saturday. Then there's the NRL ,(Rugby League) Grand Final next Sunday.which heralds that strange twilight zone of no sport, before the cricket starts!

In previous decades sports withdrawal symptoms would be sated  via the Bathurst race in October and the Melbourne cup in November but they managed to kill the former by opening it up to overseas car makers back in the 90s, and finished it off by closing local car plants so everyone drives Hyundai SUVs now, and the Melbourne cup has descended into a non event due to negative press about horse racing generally and the fact that it is now  mainly  attended by YouTube and Instagram wannabes and influencers intent on pouting alluringly  for their subscribers in front of the VIP area which won't let them in.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... looking at the s**t stirring that’s going on regarding salary and donations in the government, I hope that we’re not seeing something similar to the last paragraph of Orwell’s Animal Farm comparing with the last government ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/09/20/postcards-from-home-2024-23/

I think they all eat from the same trough. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, pH said:

I think that is someone consuming the liquid produced by vodka percolating through a water melon.

I once, at their request, took a photo of a group of ageing bikers camped beside us in a campground in Washington state and was paid with a slice of such a melon.

Correct.   Kind of like a "Tim Tam slam" but using watermelon and Vodka instead of a Tim Tam and coffee.

Once finished the watermelon shell can be used as a helmet at sporting events.

image.png.9ff5319e2c059d32c0b9bd1105b9a4e8.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Congratulations to your son and his intended.

Thank you.

The day has dawned perfect and cloudless like all the recent ones have with a predicted high of 25 here in Sydney and a couple of degrees cooler in Bowral where the wedding will be.

Its about a 40 minute drive to the south so it'll be a nice well-needed run for the ute, so giving it a wash is next on the list.

I did offer it as a wedding car but got politely turned down in favour of Rolls Royces or something which I do find a little but UnAustralian to be frank, but the bride is of Maltese background so I guess that explains it.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 3

Sorry for the late response but life got in the way as it does.

Anyway turning to our Swiss correspondents request for remarks on a low maintenance Japanese style garden. There isn't much more that I can say about the plant choices that hasn't already been stated. There are though some words on the garden itself that I would like to offer.

A garden should not be seen as a challenge or a task to be completed. It is rather a place where you can feel relaxed and somewhere to enjoy. Apart from anything a garden does not remain static. It changes throughout the day, week, month and year. No two times will be the same. The sun may shine but it will be stronger or weaker. Shadows may exist but will vary at different times of the year.

So having said that what does the Japanese Garden give or offer that addresses these feelings. You have already said you would prefer not to have gravel which I can understand but that does leave you with a dilemma. If you want hard landscaping then that needs to be keeping with the gardens Japanese ethos.

Similarly structures used to create the illusion need to be in keeping with the gardens setting. This can be done by using similar materials and also designs.

Therefore to sum up a garden needs to be enjoyable but also to invoke feelings for what you want.

Hope this helps and I'm happy to come and advise in person just so long as you pay the airfare and explain to the Boss why she needs the rabies jab.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3