The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

58 minutes ago, Hroth said:

One of our local Aldi shops has problems with restaurant customers filling their carpark, so they have a console for customers to enter their registration number and compares it with the ANPR camera at the entrance.

If a parker has been identified and has not supplied a reg number then the parking company that polices the scheme sends the registered owner a parking "fine".

Hmmm, I think I see an obvious way around that....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

We went to Canvey Island today. Tip visit first to dispose of dead electrical tools and IT devices. Then to M&S Food to collect a parcel and purchase some frozen chips. 
After lunch I did some soldering that I hadn’t expected, created a cd so Aditi  could have (her current favourite) music in her car and then sorted out why my iTunes stuff on my PC wasn’t syncing with my iPad. I went and check next doors garden (they are in Wales). A large fuchsia seems to  have died during the last couple of days. All the other nearby fuchsias are fine, the dead one looks dead apart from the flowers, just dry leaves and twigs.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Sainsbury’s car park in Hitchin charges and the charge is redeemable at the tills when paying for shopping so free parking for shoppers.

Presumably with a time limit though?

I wonder how many park for a few hours then go in for a Mars Bar?

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Hmmm, I think I see an obvious way around that....

Let's see now....well I s'pose a Cunning Bear could attach a copy of iD's Number Plates to Mickey on the way in & out.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Let's see now....well I s'pose a Cunning Bear could attach a copy of iD's Number Plates to Mickey on the way in & out.....

Or........ perhaps you could maybe go into Aldi, enter your details then go into the restaurant for a feed of curried welks or whatever  the National Dish Of The Day is?   

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Presumably with a time limit though?

Or maybe even JUST a time limit?

The UK seems to love  overcomplicating things, maybe  thats why your sports cars were always breaking down -  all those fiddly carbies when one huge Holley would do!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Thursday.  The cottage is clean.  I am once again awaiting Dr. SWMBO for her weekend.  

It's going to be a long wait.  

Someone made contact with a train near Swindon which brought everything to a standstill.  On, as luck would have it, the week when the Berks & Hants is closed for engineering works meaning all trains are diverted the Great Way Round.  

Hers sat at Reading for 2½ hours.  It's moving now but making extra stops because of service disruption.  The last time this happened I collected her off the train due in at 22.59 at 02.42.  She is on course to be there or thereabouts again tonight.  And that assumes they can find a crew to bring the train west of Plymouth at all.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

48 minutes ago, polybear said:

I wonder how many park for a few hours then go in for a Mars Bar?

Get creative!  I'd queue up with one green bean in my trolley. Price say 2 cents.  Pay with cash, which here due to lack of 1 and 2 cent pieces would get rounded down to zero.

Free parking. 

And free  bean!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, BoD said:

I am a tad concerned that we may be developing an economy whose entire GDP is derived from parking charges and fines.

It's the economy st£pid. Or has someone already said that.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

We went to Canvey Island today. Tip visit first to dispose of dead electrical tools and IT devices. Then to M&S Food to collect a parcel and purchase some frozen chips. 
After lunch I did some soldering that I hadn’t expected, created a cd so Aditi  could have (her current favourite) music in her car and then sorted out why my iTunes stuff on my PC wasn’t syncing with my iPad. I went and check next doors garden (they are in Wales). A large fuchsia seems to  have died during the last couple of days. All the other nearby fuchsias are fine, the dead one looks dead apart from the flowers, just dry leaves and twigs.

That sounds a tad worrying. Are the other fuchsias adjacent to the suspected dead one? And you say the flowers are unaffected. Hmm sounds like fuchsia wilt to me. Any chance of a piccy?

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

26 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Get creative!  I'd queue up with one green bean in my trolley. Price say 2 cents.  Pay with cash, which here due to lack of 1 and 2 cent pieces would get rounded down to zero.

Free parking. 

And free  bean!

There are times, not many I must admit, when I like you thinking oh colonial cousin.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Dry and crumbly

2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

are the leaves gone or just 'dried up'?

Those that are still there are dry and crumbly. There is some green wood if I snap the twigs back flat enough. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Dry and crumbly

Those that are still there are dry and crumbly. There is some green wood if I snap the twigs back flat enough. 

Yep fuchsia wilt. All that can be done is keep it watered and see if it comes back. It may shoot in which you can prune out the dead wood.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

We have a fuchsia that did that in dry spells, until I learnt to water it frequently.  It always grew back when it got enough water.  It also doesn't winter well, even on the south coast.  It loses its leaves and starts to put out new growth about New Year, then a couple of hard frosts kill that growth and it looks dead well into spring. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yep fuchsia wilt. All that can be done is keep it watered and see if it comes back. It may shoot in which you can prune out the dead wood.

I hope so, I don’t think I did anything different to it than all the other plants in the neighbours garden.  I was worried in case I needed to take a flame thrower to it to protect everything else. Our neighbours garden had more formal planting than ours.

I think our back lawn is going to shrink soon. Aditi wants to replace two aged pear trees but wants 4 fruit trees so less lawn! Still no space for a small area,of outdoor railway though. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

34 minutes ago, petethemole said:

We have a fuchsia that did that in dry spells, until I learnt to water it frequently.  It always grew back when it got enough water.  It also doesn't winter well, even on the south coast.  It loses its leaves and starts to put out new growth about New Year, then a couple of hard frosts kill that growth and it looks dead well into spring. 

The trick is not to prune to early, but to leave the dead wood on to act as protection from frosts. Looks unsightly I know but better that than a dead plant.

• Informative/Useful 4

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I hope so, I don’t think I did anything different to it than all the other plants in the neighbours garden.  I was worried in case I needed to take a flame thrower to it to protect everything else. Our neighbours garden had more formal planting than ours.

I think our back lawn is going to shrink soon. Aditi wants to replace two aged pear trees but wants 4 fruit trees so less lawn! Still no space for a small area,of outdoor railway though. 

Suggest she grow them as cordons or espaliers. They take up much less room.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1