The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I was diagnosed with various risk items for heart issues and was prescribed statins.  Sadly I suffered side effects - couldn't sleep, became confused, started to have memory problems - culminating in the the day I drove to see some friends, when I got out of the car I knew where I was but had no memory of how I had got there.  I didn't take any other medication at the time.

I went to see my GP, he decided I should no longer take statins and told me never to even think about taking them again.  After about three months I was back to normal.

As for today it is dull and cool, it may brighten up and reach about 15°C later, the wind is coming off the North Sea.  During the day I hope to sort out some books and bag them up for the charity shop.  There are also things to do in the garden.

Shortly I shall be off to church for the usual Thursday service followed by coffee and perhaps a walk.

Yesterday evening's visit by some friends was very enjoyable, we sampled a couple of malts, one was called "Islay Storm" which I found in a shop quite recently, the other was one the friends brought, an Japanese one - can't remember its name, but it had a lasting aftertaste.  We don't actually drink much, it is more a tasting session and a good chat.

David

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

True, in the 1980s. No longer.

Freebies are ‘VERBOTEN”  (even buying a GP a cup of coffee at a conference can land you, your company and the GP in very hot water indeed).

We have to buy our own pens now!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another good night last night but as soon as I started moving about the arthritis kicked in, usually it's the other way round. However a brace of pills soon sorted it out. Today it's washing and yet more washing, my own fault really as I let it slip, I used to do it every five days, that's how long it took to get a full machine load, plus extra sessions for things like sheets and jeans.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Equally interesting, and again a relic of the past, in the UK you could become a physician without actually being a doctor. University medical education in England culminated with the Bachelor of Medicine qualification (B.Med, MB) and in Scotland the Doctor of Medicine. (the US went with the Scottish nomenclature).

So why isn’t B.Med, MB sexist?

Shouldn’t we also have a S.Med. MB (Spinster of Medicine?).  And then of course there are those that don’t identify as…..etc. etc.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

So why isn’t B.Med, MB sexist?

Shouldn’t we also have a S.Med. MB (Spinster of Medicine?).  And then of course there are those that don’t identify as…..etc. etc.

Come on! The female equivalent of Batchelor is Batchelorette.    Watch More Reality Telly!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another lot of washing drying on the racks and the next lot ready to go into the machine but won't be doing so until this evening as I've no more space to dry them. I hope to get the washing finished by tomorrow as I hope to visit the Shenfield show on Saturday.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

. I hope to get the washing finished by tomorrow as I hope to visit the Shenfield show on Saturday.

You could always go incognito as one of those blokes who don't wash if you run out of time!

• Funny 10

Speaking of being able to 'practice medicine' with out being a doctor, one of the things that nark me is being able to say your a tree surgeon just by picking up a chain saw. Bit like calling yourself a gardener because you have a hedge trimmer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

It's been a nice day, both for the weather and the way things have gone so far.  Church went according to plan with coffee and nice chocolate biscuits afterwards.  We are still waiting for candles to be delivered - they are very specific ones so cannot simply be bought in a shop.  Afterwards I had a walk on the prom as usual, there were a lot of cars but not many people so they must all have been in the coffee shops - and it wasn't very cold, just fresh.

The shelf of books and model bits got sorted out, the room is now a lot tidier and I can get at everything for the first time in many months.  A few of the books have been kept as I hadn't read them - they were from Mum's flat.  After lunch I had a trip to the local hospice's charity shop where the books were welcomed and please did I have any more nice clean ones they could have!

Then I had a small adventure and went to "big" Asda, as opposed to "little" Asda.  It is a very big store, open from 06.00 to 24.00 except for the limited Sunday hours. I went to buy some shirts and a few food items which will save me ordering them on line for next week - especially as I want some of them over the weekend.  While I was there I saw a biomass train go by and noticed the work on installing the new footbridge to give access to the new station at Bebside.  I think its the first time I've been there this year.

They are trying to work out how to stop people parking there to use the train when the station opens instead of the proper car park which will eventally have a charge.  Asda's problem is that if they charge to park they will lose custom as everywhere else in the local towns have free parking.  I suspect they will just limit the parking time.

The plants have been watered and another big batch of tomatoes picked and I have decided to leave the other garden bits for now.

David

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think he's hoping to 'blend in' more rather than 'standout'.

But he'd always get to the front of whatever he wanted to see, very quickly...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

They are trying to work out how to stop people parking there to use the train when the station opens instead of the proper car park which will eventally have a charge.

It doesnt seem all that hard to come up with an answer to that, to   be fair.

Many shopping centres here that do charge for parking  have a 3  or 4 hour free parking limit and charge those who stay longer.  Number plate reading cameras at the entry and exit barriers work it all out. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the calculation of maximum parking time at Asda, will be the time from asda carpark to Bebside station to Newcastle station and back with not enough time to go shopping in Newky.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

You could always go incognito as one of those blokes who don't wash if you run out of time!

But I haven't got a backpack.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

But he'd always get to the front of whatever he wanted to see, very quickly...

I use my rollator for that, just run over their toes and they step hop out of the way. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I didn't finish the washing today as intended, the sciatica saw to that. I had to spend a goodly part of the afternoon stretched out on the bed. I've now got plenty of clean shirts hanging in the wardrobe now anyway and I can finish off the rest tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Had a  trip to an old Royal station(well actually a rebuilt one as the original burnt down)

BM1K4671.jpg

Guess where I was too …

IMG_0501.jpeg.662ed51e409f60615313607c97a5b398.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg.9118d22fabfcd10b3d6bc70f69899bbf.jpeg

I wonder if I was taking that second photo while you were outside taking yours?

Edited by BoD
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

They are trying to work out how to stop people parking there to use the train when the station opens instead of the proper car park which will eventally have a charge.  Asda's problem is that if they charge to park they will lose custom as everywhere else in the local towns have free parking.  I suspect they will just limit the parking time.

Sainsbury’s car park in Hitchin charges and the charge is redeemable at the tills when paying for shopping so free parking for shoppers.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Had a busy day..

One load of washing put in the washering Machine, processed, then extracted to the washing line. Then removed and back to our room.

That is all..

Good night Awl

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

One of our local Aldi shops has problems with restaurant customers filling their carpark, so they have a console for customers to enter their registration number and compares it with the ANPR camera at the entrance.

If a parker has been identified and has not supplied a reg number then the parking company that polices the scheme sends the registered owner a parking "fine".

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I am a tad concerned that we may be developing an economy whose entire GDP is derived from parking charges and fines.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

A successful visit to the Manx Museum library today as mentioned, microfiches were fiched, or whatever one does to them, scanned, saved and later printed to much rejoicing.  Then a lot of part number comparing, with the final result of wondering just how my bank balance is going to cope.  Badly, perchance.

Still, her wot controls the budget seems to encourage me to get on with it, so you never know, it may get finished before it snows.

Another scorchio (relative) day, 20c and a thoroughly nice feel to it.  Not before time.  I even did battle with the lawnmower, which despite a new switch and new control board, still refuses to start nine times out of ten when tissing the pret.  Bosch battery job, it's rubbish, very disappointed with it, other Bosch appliances have been very good.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Tesco in Weston-super-Mare car park used to be free and unlimited for time but they

had the same problem with train users taking up car parking spaces while away for the day.

They introduced a system with ANPR cameras and a system that gave you a parking validation

voucher at the till when you paid for your shopping , you used this at a machine outside to

validate by entering your reg no and scan the voucher , there is still a two hour limit though .

• Like 5