The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

… On a little more solid ground historically speaking, apparently Celtic and later [Viking] warriors were much in demand as bodyguards in the Near East for quite a few centuries. 

There’s the village in Italy supposedly settled by Scottish mercenaries who didn’t see the point in going all the way back to Scotland:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurro

Edited by pH
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

There's the tales about the tribe of Welsh speaking American ['Red'] Indians? Either Prince Madoc or [King] Arthur (after Camlann) depending on your legend. 

On a little more solid ground historically speaking, apparently Celtic and later [Viking] warriors were much in demand as bodyguards in the Near East for quite a few centuries. 

it was Prince Madoc when I first came across the tale of the Welsh. And IIRC it was the Delaware tribe, who allegedly spoke a language derived from Welsh. We do of course have traces of the Vikings in the New World at L'Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland. And actual Welsh speakers in Patagonia.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

The Estern Roman Varangian Guards were from Northern Europe. And the Norsemen created what would evolve into Russia via Kievan Rus.

Not something that the Russians agree with. When I mentioned it to a Russian who worked for one of the oil companies after a tax conference, she was most put out and told me I was lying. I sent her an e-mail with my sources (confirming something I'd been taught at University) but she never responded!

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Norfolk has just been on escape to the country.

One of the houses I've been in...

Why?

Because it's at Scottow, which happens to be where RAF Coltishall is, and the house, in the days I lived at Colt,  was a pub. One of two or three that closed when Colt shut down.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as it was precipitating enthusiastically this morning, I assembled a sausage casserole in the small slow cooker.  The smell is now percolating through the house and I'm fighting the urge to go for early tea.

But I shall be brave and eat it after Pointless has finished...

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

We've had quite a lot of sun today but it's getting cool.  It must be going to rain tomorrow as a combine has just gone past along with a tractor and large trailer.  It must e the start of the sunflower harvest.  It's fascinating watching the Combines discharging into the trailers as the stream of seeds is pure black and looks like coal. 

I have replenished the wine stocks but managed to lock my key in the car so Beth had to come with the spare. Brownie points stock is low.  However I have manged to fit a new moulding onto a French Window in the lounge.  The local carpenter machined it for me from some spare wood I had. Total cost €5. Then the ironing got done. 

Jamie 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

It's been sunny since I wrote this morning with a strong west wind, quite cool out of the sun.  I went down to the beach and had a walk as usual and enjoyed watching two windsurfers who were going very fast.  Their actual boards were at least six inches above the water with just the dagger board dipping into the sea.  A couple of times they actually took off and were above their board, of course they then fell into the sea and had to get back on to the board.  I don't think I would enjoy it.

While I was there I got talking to someone who was taking photos with a bridge camera, he said he found dSLRs a bit heavy now.  It turned out that he is 90!  I've seen quite a lot of his photos as he sends them to both the local BBC and ITV studios, they use them as images in the local weather forecasts.  He also gets published in the Newcastle Journal from time to time.  It made me feel quite young.

I didn't take any photos as I really just wanted a quiet walk today - and at times standing was quite hard work in the wind.

The rest of the day has been a bit of reading, some gardening - the garden bin is now filled up ready for tomorrow's collection.  I've also rebuilt a model structure which was really too big for where it was.  It just needs the paint touching up where it was cut to size. 

I've picked alomst 12oz of tomatoes this afternoon, so the neighbours will be given some.

David

• Like 18

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

It's been sunny since I wrote this morning with a strong west wind, quite cool out of the sun.  I went down to the beach and had a walk as usual and enjoyed watching two windsurfers who were going very fast.  Their actual boards were at least six inches above the water with just the dagger board dipping into the sea.  A couple of times they actually took off and were above their board, of course they then fell into the sea and had to get back on to the board.  I don't think I would enjoy it.

While I was there I got talking to someone who was taking photos with a bridge camera, he said he found dSLRs a bit heavy now.  It turned out that he is 90!  I've seen quite a lot of his photos as he sends them to both the local BBC and ITV studios, they use them as images in the local weather forecasts.  He also gets published in the Newcastle Journal from time to time.  It made me feel quite young.

I didn't take any photos as I really just wanted a quiet walk today - and at times standing was quite hard work in the wind.

The rest of the day has been a bit of reading, some gardening - the garden bin is now filled up ready for tomorrow's collection.  I've also rebuilt a model structure which was really too big for where it was.  It just needs the paint touching up where it was cut to size. 

I've picked alomst 12oz of tomatoes this afternoon, so the neighbours will be given some.

David

12 ounces of tomatoes, you did well I picked almost 12 pounds of them, the neighbours are now in hiding and won't look me in the eye in case they get even more of them. I will stop growing too many................I will stop growing too many..........................................nah I doubt it, just ordered more seeds for next year already as they were in the sale.

• Like 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, tigerburnie said:

12 ounces of tomatoes, you did well I picked almost 12 pounds of them, the neighbours are now in hiding and won't look me in the eye in case they get even more of them. I will stop growing too many................I will stop growing too many..........................................nah I doubt it, just ordered more seeds for next year already as they were in the sale.

I was just about to ask @DaveF if he meant 12lb... 🤔

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I was just about to ask @DaveF if he meant 12lb... 🤔

Just 12 oz today - I only have 4 plants this year.  As there is only me to eat them I only need a few ounces a day.  Out of the growing season I buy less than 1lb a week.

David

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, DaveF said:

only have 4 plants this year

We have two tomato plants this year. Very few tomatoes though. Probably 12 fruits in total. Very small and orange coloured but that is the variety. Courgette crop is very heavy this year, only two plants but lots of courgettes. The first courgette plants  got eaten by slugs before they were big enough to plant out so they were a bit later than usual. They should keep going until the first frosts. 
Tony

• Like 16

Good job I cut the grass when I did; very wet later in the afternoon/evening.

Off to Bristol tomorrow on removal duties for one of my daughters, as she starts work at one of Bristol's hospitals next week.

Doubtless, I'll stop off on the way back at somewhere I can see some things on parallel steel rails...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

it was Prince Madoc when I first came across the tale of the Welsh. And IIRC it was the Delaware tribe, who allegedly spoke a language derived from Welsh. We do of course have traces of the Vikings in the New World at L'Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland. And actual Welsh speakers in Patagonia.

The Welsh speakers of Patagonia emigrated from South Wales about 150 years ago.

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It's heading in the direction of Estuary-Land now.

It's now been and gone. It was quite heavy for a while but now its stopped raining but the wind is still blowing. A chilly morning is predicted for tomorrow but then it should start to warm up towards the weekend.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Not long after I’d posted this morning, it did in fact rain, thankfully it didn’t last long though. Since then we’ve had some strong gusts of wind, in fact it’s still blowing a fair bit now and we’ve just had some more rain. We’ve also had some nice sunny spells too, a real mixed bag today. 

We listened to David Gilmour’s new album ‘Luck and Strange’ this afternoon, it’s very good, his daughter Romany sings lead vocal on one track and son’s Gabriel and Charlie provide backing vocals, Romany has got a lovely voice. 

I still haven’t quite finished the model house I’m building, the reason is I was distracted by the arrival of my new slide/negative scanner, which came this morning. So, as soon as I’d finished the fixing the chimneys and roof details, I headed downstairs to open the package and have a play. It’s a nice compact piece of kit, the scanning of one slide is done in just a few seconds. I managed to scan about 80 slides this afternoon, jut got about 30 - 40 more to do. I’ve not yet had a good look at them, as the the viewing screen is only about 40mm by 50mm, but it does load the completed scans onto a memory card. So, once I’ve done them all, I’ll plug into the main computer when I’ve done them all. These are the slides my sister (half sister really) in Canada sent me a couple of weeks ago. She found them when clearing out her mums house after she’d died and very kindly passed them on to me, as they all date from before she was born. The photos in question were taken between September ‘68 and July ‘70, so they’re all over 50 years old. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

9 hours ago, DaveF said:

... enjoyed watching two windsurfers who were going very fast.  Their actual boards were at least six inches above the water with just the dagger board dipping into the sea

Windsurfing or kiteboarding?  Wind surfing has a sail attached to the board. There are variants like wing foiling. The latter two are usually out of the water.

All are very popular in the Columbia River gorge where the gap in the Cascade range is always windy. Kite boarding is 'hotter'. Windsurfing is more old school.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The Welsh speakers of Patagonia emigrated from South Wales about 150 years ago.

Welsh diaspora. Newfoundland, Pennsylvania, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand etc. (19th century).

There is no known evidence which would objectively support the legend that the Mandan, a Native American tribe of the central United States, are Welsh emigrants who reached North America under Prince Madog in 1170.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

36 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Windsurfing or kiteboarding?  Wind surfing has a sail attached to the board. There are variants like wing foiling. The latter two are usually out of the water.

All are very popular in the Columbia River gorge where the gap in the Cascade range is always windy. Kite boarding is 'hotter'. Windsurfing is more old school.

What @DaveF saw was  probably  windsurfers Hydro-foiling.  They stick a hydrofoil under  a windsurfer board. The  sports come a long way in the 20 or so years since I last got my board wet, its now in teh rafters of my shed with a stack of wood offcuts on it. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16