The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I think I’m going to have to cut this trip short - the caravan water pump is running but no water’s coming through. This site has no showers or washing up facilities. I’m reading the manual to see if there’s any remedy but …

That’s a shame. Hope you manage to get it sorted.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Actually did - it is, as I suspected, an air lock in the suction pipe. It blew through OK. I think that I'll have to try to strip it all out when I get home and if that doesn't work but a new inlet hose. The test, of course, will be seeing if the shower works.

So I hope the north east is stuck with me for a few more days.

According to the tv coverage of the fun run, its grey, soggy and foggy over there, so good luck!

And, a better late than never Happy Birthday to @Erichill16 !

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull, grey and wet day here in England’s northwest corner, so I’m glad I’m confined to staying inside, as I wouldn’t be doing anything outside, even if I could! I’m on the final straight of the terrace house build, the frames of all 4 are built, just the chimneys, roofs doors and windows etc to finish, oh and the outside toilets! 

Later this afternoon, James, Sophie and Amelia are calling round, so I don’t think I’ll get all the work done, as I’ve not bet printed off the roofing sheets yet. 

Back later. 

Brian

ps

Belated birthday wished to @Erichill16

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

According to the tv coverage of the fun run, its grey, soggy and foggy over there, so good luck!

Grey and misty - not too soggy and not too foggy. You're seeing the coast, I'm in the hills 40 miles away.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Go away, Typoman!
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said: Perhaps we could start an ER's good food guide for products such as Jolly Hog and Crosta & Mollica pizza. But please note NO baked beans or curly fries.

That’s BLATANT discrimination against Bears, that is 😡

Andeeee…….

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny here . It has rained overnight but my painting/wood stain of out garden stuff seems to have been unaffected. 
We are off to Enfield soon to see MiL. Her memory is failing rapidly now but at least she still knows who we are. 
A section of the M25 is closed due to an accident. We join the M25 just after the closed section. At the moment our planned route is still clear, but I expect traffic heading south to  the Dartford Tunnels will be diverting towards part of our route. Brentwood may well get busy. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Fortunately I like my own my own much smaller and easy to look after house where I hope to live until I have to go into a care home or whatever.  My house is also nearer the beach! 

The houses I really like are very close to a beach and I am not sure about their long term future!

David

Be careful about what you might wish for.  

I once lived less than 100m from the coast road; then 20m or so of dunes; then the beach and the sea.

Result:  sand constantly blowing into the house and windows coated in salt after every storm.

Never again as far as I am concerned.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

I started watching a series called Narrow Escapes on one of the lesser channels on our Internet TV thingie.

It started quite well but seemed to degenerate into a sort of floating Gogglebox. I gave up by Episode 4.

Perhaps it's me, but I don't find idiocy, or being overtaken by problems which could easily have been foreseen to be intrinsically entertaining. Nor am I tremendously impressed by the obvious agenda-pushing of the casting...

Oh well. Press on. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Round of applause 3

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I find the whole business of industrialised food production both fascinating and ingenious - even though I don't/wouldn't eat much of that output.

There is a TV programme that comes on in the afternoon on the big telly at work, called something like "How It Is Made" or similar. One day it might be some specialty French cheese, the next an air-conditioning unit or similar. 

They often feature mass-produced foods, and I do find it intriguing, not the food as such but that someone was asked to design a production line that for instance  has to cover something in chocolate, then turn it upside down to do the bottom, then attack it with knives to make it the right length then spin it round and round as it gets wrapped up in cellophane. 

Imagine all the testing failures along the way - I'd love to see THAT TV programme!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

the bitterly cold winter of 1962/1963 - the coldest winter on record in the UK 

Well you could look at it like that  - but turn that frown upside down because  that winter was the reason why Scottish couple  Mr and Mrs Young emigrated down under with their family, after Mr Young saw  an ad for Australia that featured beaches and sunshine. .

Arriving at the Villawood Migrant Hostel in Western Sydney  (now a detention centre, but back then a collection of ex-WW2 Nissen huts)  eldest Young son George met up with Dutch fellow  immigrant Harry Vanda,  and The Easybeats were born.

But, not content to rest there , the younger Young siblings, Malcolm and Angus,  went on to become AC/DC.

If it hadn't been for that cold UK winter, Australian Rock and Roll would have been much lesser!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

In these few sentences you have summarised my memories of this country while I was at secondary school, I tok my O levels in 1965.  Where I lived in Nottigham it was just like that, even school was constantly cold and shabby - even though it was a new building.  As for the houses across the road from us - they were all knocked down rather than being upgraded.

Whichever one of my ancestors upped-stumps and moved down here - thank you!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

There is a TV programme that comes on in the afternoon on the big telly at work, called something like "How It Is Made" or similar. One day it might be some specialty French cheese, the next an air-conditioning unit or similar. 

They often feature mass-produced foods, and I do find it intriguing, not the food as such but that someone was asked to design a production line that for instance  has to cover something in chocolate, then turn it upside down to do the bottom, then attack it with knives to make it the right length then spin it round and round as it gets wrapped up in cellophane. 

Imagine all the testing failures along the way - I'd love to see THAT TV programme!

I’d love to be the cleaner-upper….😋

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

We'll survive.

Just

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Whichever one of my ancestors upped-stumps and moved down here - thank you!

I have distant cousins in Oz - one of my grandfather's cousins emigrated (at the age of about 12) on some sort of Church-sponsored scheme.

My late father wanted to emigrate but couldn't get accepted because of his war injuries. He did arrive there but couldn't ultimately make it work, and returned. 

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

the moment our planned route is still clear, but I expect traffic heading south to  the Dartford Tunnels will be diverting towards part of our route. Brentwood may well get busy. 

We got to Enfield without problem but our route home may be via Harlow and Chelmsford or every tiny hamlet between here and home. The suggestions keep changing!

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Actually did - it is, as I suspected, an air lock in the suction pipe. It blew through OK in the end. I thought I'd try "one last time". It may have heard the threat in my voice.. I think that I'll have to try to strip it all out when I get home and if that doesn't work but a new inlet hose. The test, of course, will be seeing if the shower works.

With or without a shower?

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I went to the Rayleigh toy fair, unfortunately many of the regular traders were absent and I came away with a couple of Oxford diecasts and a bottle of liquid poly. Now I'm feeling knackered, time for a little eyelid inspection.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15