The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bad time last night, Arthur Itis was having another party and every joint seemed to be joining in, actually the culprit was the rain. Pills have been taken. According to the weather reports the rain, accompanied by lightning will continue for the rest of the day.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Debs. said:

Morning awl!🙋‍♀️

I found a really good use for my awl recently. A bit of carpet seemed to move as we walked on it. I was concerned that perhaps there was a hole in the chipboard floor. I was going to remove the carpet but just prodded through with an awl. The floor is fine. I wonder if over enthusiastic carpet shampooing affected the underlay. I am not worried now. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Debs. said:

Morning awl!🙋‍♀️

Is that the "one awl" warning, a metaphorical shot across the bows, as it were...?🤔

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the skies are blue with a few white fluffy clouds dotted here and there , there’s also a slight breeze too. Another day of staying inside today, as I’m still on light duties for now. I’m hoping to go out some time during the week and sit in the car, to see how I am behind the wheel. The surgeon said once I can do an emergency stop, without feeling pain, I should be ok to drive, so I can do that with the car on the drive, but I’ll leave that until late next week. We have a table booked at our favourite Indian restaurant next Sunday (15th) and I’m hoping to not only be able to go, but walk there and back too. I did ok walking round the hospital yesterday, so alls looking good there. 

The plan for today is more paper cutting and folding. 

Back later 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

ION

Bright, sunny, calm and hints of v. warm so far today.

Second wash* in progress, and a third prepped to follow.

While they are drying I will go unto the GARAGE (one for the list-makers there) and recommence my assult on the contents therein, in preparation for eventual installment of parallel strips of nickle-silver.

It will also mean that items currently in the SHED can then be transferred to the GARAGE (list-makers take note...) to enhance enjoyment!

All correctly propped and beamed?

* Just thought, I could follow PBs example and call the washing machine "Harriet the Hotpoint",  but giving a name to household appliances is a worrying trend...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

I'm not on Bears list, but a few of you are on mine...........................................I have some Fava Beans and a nice bottle of Chianti...................................be afraid...................😎

• Like 6
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Is that the "one awl" warning, a metaphorical shot across the bows, as it were...?🤔

She has more than one awl.. and the array includes very sharp awls...but nice to hear from the awl holder @Debs.

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

49 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Amble from the River Coquet.  The marina and new flats.  The main quay is on the left

Theres  a 3 metre Saltie in there by the look of it!

sBSC_9045Amble.jpg.cdea8dd5ffdd3dfdb7c33c07faa16a89.jpg.2bf81319f07adaaf8cd014f78f067aca.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of Harriet the Hotpoint (for those of an anthropomorphical* bent), I've just noticed that she can wash Babies.  Luckily I have none to hand, so I cannot try this aspect of her abilities out...

@monkeysarefun  I think thats just a large floating log, isn't it...?

As for the flats, they look nothing like net drying sheds, despite the architects pretensions!

* I think that's the right word. 🤔

Edited by Hroth
a bit more
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

...making (shopping) list.

Butt, tongue&groove, dovetail...?🤔

I make my shopping list by stacking progressively larger items on smaller ones!

• Funny 13

A lovely balmy evening, 22 degrees and the smell of Jasmine is in the air.

The stars are putting on another brilliant display at the moment, I'd go out and try for a better pic of them but its the preliminary finals round  of the AFL, the Doggies are playing the Hawks in an elimination game and matching each other goal for goal  at the moment. Capacity crowd at the MCG -  90,000 plus,   great atmosphere.

I might sneak out for a pic at halftime.

Edit: Crowd figure just announced - 97,340. @Gwiwer would have had  his work cut out getting them all home!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Shopping lists on hols are difficult - involved planning - something I'm not very good at taking to completion - at home I have a backup I can adapt in the freezer if I forget, but here in the woods (no bears to perform what bears normally do in the woods) I'm very relaxed - not to mention lazy.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Speaking of Harriet the Hotpoint (for those of an anthropomorphical* bent), I've just noticed that she can wash Babies.  Luckily I have none to hand, so I cannot try this aspect of her abilities out...

Our washing machine had various (extra cost) options we didn’t opt for when we bought it. After nearly 10 years the programme control board failed and a new one was installed under warranty. The new one had all the options on board. The most interesting one is “plastic bricks”. 

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of my travails with clearing the junk out of the GARAGE, the other day I came across a stack of DVDs, given away by the Daily Wail.  Mainly films concerning WW2 ( Dambusters, Wooden Horse, Ice Cold In Alex, etc) but one was an unusual topic for the Wail, Fanny Hill, based on the 18th century epistolatory novel by John Cleland.  Having read the novel, I fear that the film is considerably abridged and bowdlerised compared with all the interesting situations lovingly described in the book...

Edited by Hroth
rephrased...
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

My sympathies @Peter Kazmierczak.

Someone in the French Met Office turned the switch from summer to winter yesterday.  Tuesday 28°C, yesterday struggled into double figures until 17:00 when the sun eventually appeared.

Warmer today, but I am confined to the house awaiting a phone call about a delivery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Crowd figure just announced - 97,340. @Gwiwer would have had  his work cut out getting them all home

We cleared an estimated 120,000 from the Grand Prix by tram within an hour. The system has to be seen and is a supremely impressive display of what public transport can do. 

At one stage the queue to leave after the main race was estimated at 1.5kms (or a mile in English) long but at no point was anyone stood still - everyone was always moving slowly forwards. 

Those of us on loading and dispatch duties received large numbers of favourable comments for how well the trams got everyone there and away. 

Much the same can be said of the tennis with the Australian Open seeing huge crowds moved without undue delay. And likewise for most other large sporting and entertainment events. 

Moving people?  No problem. 

• Round of applause 18

Melbourne has it all over Sydney when it comes to this kind of thing.

Sydney has the disadvantage of major events being away from the public transport hubs. Eg the SCG is in the Eastern Suburbs, away from any   major public transport links. 

Our biggest event would be the NYE fireworks, which draws close to 1 million people to the harbour and nearby vantage points.  The public transport network  (city circle line)  there is capable of shifting those numbers over the few hours that make up a New Years eve night, but we have few other events in the inner city to take advantage like that.

Maybe the start of the Sydney to Hobart, but that would be in 6 figures.

The ex-Olympic Stadium at Flemington gets used to advantage (eg Taylor Swift sized concerts) and the public transit put in for the Olympics handles them without an issue.  There were huge numbers of  fans from SE Asia (especially The Philippines) here for Taylor Swift, they really seem to love her!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15

What the stars look like in the southern hemisphere. Just a 4 minute  phone camera exposure taken from my front yard, street light drowning out much of the details. Nil post-processing other thanthe stacking and so on that  the Google Pixel 9 does inside its little mind.

For @PupCam, I've marked the tail of Scorpio  in faint red   so you can get your bearings.  To the right of that we are looking pretty much back into the central hub of our galaxy.

PXL_20240906_114017529.NIGHT.jpg.dddd2776ad191be3f1d1c5a1e664361a.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Those not on any of @polybear's lists must be feeling neglected. Perhaps he should create a list for those who are not on any other of his😁 lists?

Actually I was just thinking there’s a real need for a “Good Bear List”….

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

IIRC I posted something about spiders and also a shed that is used as a garage as well as a railway  room.  That also got me into WB's list though I did offer him ten square metres of land as my contribution to Shed Aid. 

Jamie

Back on The List…

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9