The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Someone whose commercial premises are near where you live, knows how to bake things, works with real flour, yeast, butter, water, fruit, nuts, cream, eggs and milk, doesn’t have a degree in food chemistry.

Also has a very hot oven to bake things in, as opposed to just warming them up.

Alles klar?

Oh ok well we don't have one of those. We used to have a Greggs but the grown ups decided to close it. We have eight take away shops- we are near two educational 'establishments', including a Subway. I don't think they could be called 'artisanal' though.

Ps - none of the above have a degree in food chemistry. Does that count for us.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

When we moved here Stalham had a bank on bank street, and a genuine bakers on bakers street.

Tesco killed off the bakers, the butchers survives by doing outside catering, and some superb meat filled baguettes in shop.

PSX_20240827_172207.jpg.f3a1bd6153ef7322b7df0c796d6d8279.jpg

Afternoon Awl,

A bone fire check this morning shows a near perfect burn, very little ash left, just the stump because that was off to one side near a lilac tree I didn't want fried.

Today was spent motoring round in ever decreasing circles on a rescue boat, just one boat rescued, his boom fell off, we held his boat into the wind while he put it back on..

We were forecast rain, but it appears Brizzle has it instead, so it's been 75% sunny instead with just thin cloud otherwise.

Noticed on the way to the SC and back many piles of white.. no not pollyfilla, lime marl for the fields, they seem to be going into that in a big way this year.

Time for something to eat.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Could our Swiss correspondent explain something from his last statement. What's a local baker?

Even more confused than normal from Manutopea.

That’ll be the Co-op for this Bear - though I’ve a sneaky feeling that might not quite meet up to iD’s specification….

6 hours ago, Barry O said:

LDCs are verboten to diabetics...

Baz

And Certain Bears, sadly….😢

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Don’t confuse Greggs with Ginsters.  

The similarity ends with the initial letter G. Ginsters, or “The G-word” to some of us, make their products in Cornwall (just) with a factory in Callington within spitting distance of the border. Everything emanating therefrom is obnoxious in my opinion. 

Greggs sell pasties. They do not sell “Cornish pasties”. They are baked off locally in-store but the business is silent on where they are actually assembled and frozen. 

Neither offers products which comply with the PGI status and description of “Cornish pasty”. 

Greggs is well aware and acknowledges that whilst they sell pasties in Cornwall they are not of the traditional Cornish style or content.

The other mob doesn’t seem to care a jot and operates a business model akin to Starbucks of trampling the opposition and getting in everywhere. The Pasty Police may one day come knocking on the door of an industrial unit in eastern Cornwall 

Ginsters used to do a “Pasty Italiano” - which A Certain Bear was quite partial too (which I’m sure is a fact that will come as no surprise to iD….).

The b’sterd’s went and discontinued it though 😡

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

For those wondering where the forecast thunderstorms have got to - it is piddlin down here. Raindrops are rattling on the conservatory roof like a drummer whose had far too much to drink and taken some (ahem) 'vitamin' tablets. I can barely hear myself think... 

I've been having trouble with Cloudfront too, when I tried to send the parcels out at the end of last week and Royal Mail's site said no, the error message blamed them. RMW was behaving - until just now, mega sulk, just took five minutes to change pages. 

And we don't have a local baker, there's one in the next village but he charges £5 per loaf for something fairly basic. So my local baker is 'me' - using the breadmaker or the oven.  

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That's what pain perdu (aka French toast) is for.

Or bread pudding? 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Bear here….

I see the Brit Paralympians are putting the able-bodied team to shame; they’re 2nd in the table, with no other country anywhere close 👏

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here….

I see the Brit Paralympians are putting the able-bodied team to shame; they’re 2nd in the table, with no other country anywhere close 👏

So it's not the taking part that counts?

It’s a phrase echoed by the founder of the Olympics, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, who said “The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.”

To get to the Olympics, either main or para, is no mean feat - you have to be the best in your country. Why do we tend to treat sports as warfare?

Edited by Coombe Barton
Typoman
  • Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

I find that sometimes recording something is quicker than trying to find find it on the various companies' catch up services.

And apart from the BBC, where it doesn't apply, you can skip the adverts on recorded programmes, which you can't when streaming them on the catch up services.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

So it's not the taking part that counts?

It’s a phrase echoed by the founder of the Olympics, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, who said “The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.”

To get to the Olympics, either main or para, is no mean feat - you have to be the best in your country. Why to we tend to treat sports as warfare?

I’m sure it’s not Warfare (or money, for that matter) for the (Para)olympians - but it’s obvious to see just how much winning a medal means to them; they might well only ever get one chance at it.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Only one?

At present, though they sometimes turn up like buses!!!

As noted below, buses sometimes fail to turn up at all, but given the frequency of the 504 service....

Edited by Hroth
addendum
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

The Olympics is all about the money

Not as much so as international football (FIFA). 

The Olympics is a weird thing. It has a noble purpose. It gets twisted up in nationalism. For the host city it's sort of an 'edifice complex' - but it's not usually a money maker. The host city's investments are often a white elephant. Plenty of online articles of the abandoned facilities in cities like Athens and Barcelona. 

Here are some examples. Purpose-built stadiums for sports like softball/baseball that are not popular in the host city and specialty winter sports infrastructure (bob sled, ski jump etc) seem to be a theme.

I don't have the impression that the IOC is as 'messed' up as FIFA or F1 but it's true that the whole thing is lubricated with a lot of funds. I presume it makes money for television networks who sell advertising because it remains a ratings draw.

This being an election year in the US, the television networks have a cash cow with election commercials anyway.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold

Evening

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

PSX_20240827_172207.jpg.f3a1bd6153ef7322b7df0c796d6d8279.jpg

14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

504again.jpg.0a158a0442ba24f187241bd6fb5d2182.jpg

Don't worry though it's not a system problem .......

ION

A modest bit of garage tidying has been done today.   There's still a long way to go.

This afternoon I have mostly been constructing a (crude) digital model of how a black mobile kettle's boiler  works.    

It needs to know, for example, when to blow-off (if you'll pardon the phrase) in order to change the shape of the wiggly lines that live on the parallel strips of metal of which we must not speak.

The house is back to normal now and quiet.  In fact, it's even quieter than normal this evening as Mrs P is out so I'm here home alone.     A funny thing happened earlier.     The doorbell rang.    When I got downstairs there was no one there.      There weren't any parcels kicking about either, not that we are expecting any.   Mysterious.     If it was a distraction burglary then hopefully they were out of luck as the rest of the house was a)  locked and b) difficult to get to.

TTFN

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, PupCam said:

A funny thing happened earlier.     The doorbell rang.    When I got downstairs there was no one there. 

Happens all the time to me.

I hate television commercials with a doorbell sound. There's one on regularly (not featuring someone at the door) but with a sound somewhere in the audio track that makes me think someone is at the door.

A week or so ago I was sure I had heard my son arrive home. He hadn't. This wasn't the door bell but what I thought was the door opening and the chime of the open door detector (there is an alarm system). I kept waiting to hear footsteps in the entry, but there wasn't any.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

hate television commercials with a doorbell sound.

Or tv programmes. I am sure the typical sound effect doorbell must be the same as the ancient ding d0ng bell we have. I added a couple of wireless repeater bells with a very different chime. However we don’t seem to watch much television anyway now. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I hate television commercials with a doorbell sound. There's one on regularly (not featuring someone at the door) but with a sound somewhere in the audio track that makes me think someone is at the door.

But the TV isn't on in Pupper's Pad.

Look what I just got

image.png.37e8b995c260d21cc2529f79dc5330af.png

Yet the NM, Dave Hunt's thread, the Aircraft Photos thread and WW all worked just fine.    Maybe it's because the thread is so huge?   

I seem to remember someone had a pragmatic idea on that but it didn't seem to go down well for reasons that I didn't understand.      

I really must find out how to downgrade my membership.   Anyone know?

TTFN

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I had a doorbell interlude last Wednesday.

The bell went, but when I got to the door, I couldn't see anyone through the glass, so I went back to what I was doing.

The bell went again, and this time I caught sight of a figure lurking at the edge of visibility, so I shut the inner porch door and opened the front door.

It turned out to be an itinerant roofer who claimed to be working in the area and had "noticed" that I had a loose roof tile and that he could quote for fixing it....

Needless to say, I declined to go out for him to point it out for me, and politely withdrew.

If the area is being targeted by dodgy "tradesmen", I might put up a security camera to cover the front door in an obvious manner!

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still warm and muggy, the thermometer has just started showing 18C. down from 20C. about ten minutes ago. Laying in bed this morning a couple of hours beyond my 'get-up' time has put my body clock back a couple of hours, I've only just finished dinner.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

We ended up staying in Ben a lot longer than planned, but, last night, I plugged the iPad in to charge up, but forgot to switch it on, doh! Hence the reason for not looking in this morning. 

As a change, I’ve actually done something today, cutting, folding and gluing black card and paper to make a prototype corridor connector. I’ve only built two, but they does seem to work well, so enough card and paper has been cut to build dozens more. However, testing them will have to wait until I can retrieve my coaches, so for now, I’m only going to build one more, so I can test them as a pair. I’ve added a photo one the two completed items, but the close up shot is very quite cruel. 

IMG_20240901_181611_Original.jpeg.c83609ac73bab124e293e28374294ea2.jpeg

This afternoon, I had an email from the Manchester Model Railway Club, saying that tickets are on sale for the Christmas show. So, out came the card and monies changed hands, so that’s one show that I’ll definitely be going to. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I might put up a security camera to cover the front door in an obvious manner!

One of my near neighbours is a builder and he does quite a lot of roofing work and had some advice. In addition to politely declining the services of “tradesmen passing by” noticing your alleged dodgy roof, do not accept a business card and definitely not a quote. This should avoid you coming home and finding someone removing your tiles, saying they thought you wanted the job done. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

We ended up staying in Ben a lot longer than planned, but, last night, I plugged the iPad in to charge up, but forgot to switch it on, doh! Hence the reason for not looking in this morning. 

As a change, I’ve actually done something today, cutting, folding and gluing black card and paper to make a pro-type corridor connector. I’ve only built two, but they does seem to work well, so enough card and paper has been cut to build dozens more. However, testing them will have to wait until I can retrieve my coaches, so for now, I’m only going to build one more, so I can test them as a pair. I’ve added a photo one the two completed items, but the close up shot is very quite cruel. 

IMG_20240901_181611_Original.jpeg.c83609ac73bab124e293e28374294ea2.jpeg

This afternoon, I had an email from the Manchester Model Railway Club, saying that tickets are on sale for the Christmas show. So, out came the card and monies changed hands, so that’s one show that I’ll definitely be going to. 

Very nice!

All they need is a keyboard at one end, and a button board at the other...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1