The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

37 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mum's bestie was born in Dalby. The one in Queensland

Thats a blast from the past!

I spent time on seismic surveys out in the empty spaces beyond  - out around Wallumbilla, Roma, Surat etc -  and Dalby was my lunch stop on the trip out there because it was about halfway. Being on  the Darling Downs it was on  rich looking country compared to the red bulldust further out but even so I remember seeing a sign nailed to a power pole "Land - $12 an acre" (would have been 1984 or 1985...)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What (he dares ask) is a lettuce sandwich?

"Honeymoon Salad"  

As in "Let us alone"  😂

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Wikipedia

It was (is?) a staple at children's birthday parties.

This image is more appealing:

image.png.196b408c7465a26e8ca674d9a002270d.png

As a child it was known for cinnamon toast to be served for Sunday tea on rare occasions.

and when I complained once too often about the sandwiches in my packed lunch at school, I was told to make my own. This, however, stopped quite suddenly when my Mum realised I’d made myself sugar sandwiches (white sugar on white sliced bread…)!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A belated happy birthday to  Brian, enjoy many more!

I am catching up after last week, one of the downsides of travelling. 

I had the opportunity to compare the A350 and A380 back to back last week. Many aviation buffs make big claims some aircraft are much better to fly in than others when most of the time they're comparing aircraft of different age, with different cabin fit out and operated by different airlines.  I have found wide bodies of similar age operated by the same airline are pretty much the same. Last week if it was possible to hide the visual giveaways I would be amazed if anyone could discern a difference in flying Singapore Airlines A380 or A350.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

like cucumber sandwiches. With Earl Grey tea on a sunny afternoon. 

Don't knock the 1950s. The period roughly 1956-1968 was a sort of aftermath of the incomplete revolution of 1945-9; full employment, affordable and social housing, immigration controls were government policy. Rationing was over and we were past the 1949 Devaluation. Education opportunities were greater than ever. Motoring was becoming widely accessible and the killer diseases of the recent past - TB, diphtheria, polio - being conquered. 

It was a far better world than the one we live in now.

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

"Bye Bye Harry" Day (TBC).......😢 

I'll also tackle a session of Bullsh1t Bingo and try to get a session with Dr. Doom.  I rate my chance as 50/50 at the moment.....

Assuming Harry revs goodbye to Bear Towers I've also got a large (long) offcut of 18mm Marine Ply to cut into a more-easily storable size; it's been really useful as a means of protecting Harry from knocks in the sh*d (which it did admirably) but now isn't very conducive to Bear's "new, improved Sh*d with oodles of space available" image.

NNND arrived home from Hols(?) last night - I've no idea if she plans to foxtrot off to work this morning (if not then she'll be working from home I suspect) - if it's the latter then she'll be serenaded by Naughty Bear giving Harry a rev or ten; to be followed sometime afterwards by a scream or two from Bertie the Circular Bosch as he slices thru' Ply.  You never know, she might even have washing out....be a shame if Bear forgot to fit the dust bag to Bertie.....

Oh yes, and there's a bluddy great Air Compressor in the (nice echoey) Sh*d all waiting to be fired up so Naughty Bear can use the high pressure (and rather audible) blow gun to de-dust things.  I suspect it'll not be a good day to live next door to Bear Towers.....😁

I reckon that's enough to be going on with - there may be some MIUABGA along the way too.

ION....

It seems that Chief Fraggle's fear that yesterday would be a bad day for the Manx GP have proved correct 😢 - VSBT's.

Not only that though - I don't ever recall news such as this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crlrjyx0e60o

A very bad day indeed.

Time to wriggle.....

BG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Baz, you say much and little at the same time. (I looked up Mr. Graves CBE and shan't ask you to share more. I looked up where Harrogate is too.)

Are there different detailed rules in this Hundred versus T20? (Like the field placement rules and the inner 'circle' in 50-over, ODI-type matches.)

I just assume there are some sort of these rules in T20 - I don't know the game. I've never watched.  My question is is separate from league rules about player eligibility like the IPL has.

Irrespective of the smash and dash aspect, I will confess to be confounded as to what makes a 100 delivery match (or indeed a 96 delivery match) superior to a 120 delivery match. (17% less of a 'good thing'?)  Unless it fits better in a television broadcast window?

Having looked it up, that seems to be the difference:

I note the powerplay and the use of the 30 yard circle.

Yes, in the Hundred you have to get an innings in (up to 100 balls or less in a weather affected match) within a set time. There are penalties if you do not do so..as in restrictions on how many fielders you can have outside of the fielding circle.

5 ball "overs" with a bowler being able to bowl up to 10 consecutive balls

Power plays  involve where you can place your fielders I.e. how manyboutside the fielding circle.

As we know.. the ECB said its less complicated to follow.. but it isn't.. in fact its more complicated.

They could have got the T20 games to a speed which would fit in the time slots on TV (they have loads of time before, during and at the end of the match to waffle on. And now the ECB need to sell part of it to get money for the counties to stop them having serious financial difficulties.

Less overseas "stars" playing this year (T20 franchises elsewhere in the world are paying better money) and the Hundred is only played in one place.

Baz

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Don't knock the 1950s. The period roughly 1956-1968 was a sort of aftermath of the incomplete revolution of 1945-9; full employment, affordable and social housing, immigration controls were government policy. Rationing was over and we were past the 1949 Devaluation. Education opportunities were greater than ever. Motoring was becoming widely accessible and the killer diseases of the recent past - TB, diphtheria, polio - being conquered. 

There is an awful lot of truth in what you say. It wasn’t perfect, of course, but much of that period certainly was better than the equivalent nowadays.

Unfortunately, if you express a desire to return to having the best of that time, the usual suspects will accuse you of all kinds of -isms, phobias, antisocial behaviour and of having naughty political views.

At least, that’s the way it looks from the continent.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The text about the motorcycle accident says it was an orange Sinnis motorcycle, now a Sinnis only has 125cc ( I had to look that up, never heard of them) so Two on board doesn't sound sensible.

And a common steed (though not exclusively) for Learners - so if the rider up front was a Learner then the passenger would need to hold (if the law hasn't changed, that is) a full Mo'sickle Licence to be legal**

(**Never could get my head round that particular get-out clause - never did seem very safe to me).

ION....

B.S. Bingo bang on 8am....."The Wait Queue is currently full - please try later...."

So I did - every 1 second.....

Now No. 1 in Q.....

• Friendly/supportive 16

31 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

There is an awful lot of truth in what you say. It wasn’t perfect, of course, but much of that period certainly was better than the equivalent nowadays.

Unfortunately, if you express a desire to return to having the best of that time, the usual suspects will accuse you of all kinds of -isms, phobias, antisocial behaviour and of having naughty political views.

I care not a fig for their views! 

The crucial difference then, was that the two main political parties were sufficiently different that voters could exert leverage at the polls by voting for the other side. 

I have particularly chosen 1968 as the cut-off date because of  political stage. The New Left were taking control of the Labour Party from within; the Conservative administration were introducing the fundamentally new principle that a free-born Englishman could face criminal charges based upon a wholly subjective accusation by a third party not known to him. The pro-EU faction within the Conservative Party were becoming ungovernable and the One Nation Tories (the term is nothing new; it dates at least from the Macmillan era in its present form) were making common cause with them. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning and (you’re) Welcome to Moanday.  It is already wet and windy. Heavy sky-widdle with cloud-farts is forecast for later. 

Yet again all the visitors will be milling around looking for somewhere to go / something to do on a wet day. 

Of the 1950s, having been born in the latter part of that decade, I do remember quite a bit. 

The arrival of something called “diesel trains”;

Bill Haley & His Comets on tour (as mentioned on the wireless);

The BBC announcing someone as “the famous n*g*o pianist”;

Doorstep deliveries and mother paying both milkman and baker in farthings;

Learning that I pre-dated by a few weeks any form of man-made object leaving the atmosphere for space;

Being taken to the telephone box for one or another parent to call someone and uttering some early words into the handset;

Travelling on trolleybuses in London and Portsmouth;

The Navy Lark starting;

The “Wakey-wake!” introducing the Billy Cotton Band Show which never seemed to end soon enough;

We called the radio a “wireless” and the record-player a “gramophone” 

And I clearly remember my sister arriving into the world. Upstairs at home in June 1959 to the apparently uncontrollable giggling of a very junior Gwiwer. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, PupCam said:

No,  The Chain was used in the BBC F1 coverage all those years ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember Top Gear ever using the Chain (unless it was in the William Woollard era when it was a motoring  not humorous entertainment programme.

I agree that I don't remember it , but I answered on a Google bringing this up ,

10 Mar 2007 — Another very well known driving song that is played on many driving programmes including Top Gear is "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac. If you can ...

Jessica is definitely the most used in my memory .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

19 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I care not a fig for their views!

and they don't give a fig about yours.

Which is the tragedy of the situation, although there are a LOT more people that think along the same lines as you (or us, to be honest), they wield the reigns of power and they will (and do) ignore you and belittle your point of view.

One of the issues facing today's politics is that whilst the main parties are all singing different arias, they all agree that they are singing in the same opera. It takes a political outsider (whatever his/her political stance) to point out that there ARE different operas that can be sung.

Case in point: during the pre-election debates, in replying to questions of how to address the problems of the NHS, everyone, but everyone spouted variations on "we'll throw more money it at". Only one candidate (very much an establishment outsider) proposed a different approach....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a mizzly about to be a wet rock. Pah.

A sudden spate of motorcycle accidents - sunny day, born-again bikers, youths in powerful cars....recipe for disaster.  The advent of middle age bikers with little experience but money enough to buy a Ducati in mid-age crisis mode is a recognised issue, yes they have had a full licence for 30 years, but only had a 250  of some kind with 25hp when young and zilch experience in the last 29 years, getting on a 150 - 200 hp bike really is a baaaad idea. 

See loads of them here as visitors, all the gear, no idea, go whizzing off on a straight racing their mates without the concept of stopping at the end of it.  We don't ride TT/MGP week.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Yes, where would you like me to begin? Edit: @Phil Parker has started briskly enough.

Perhaps I'll confine myself to observing that the past was better because you were younger. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It's easy to look back with rose-tinted spectacles.

You overlooked that I wrote "the best of that time". Obviously, there are many things from the 50s/60s that we are well off without (casual racism, over boiled cabbage....). But there are many things from the 50s and 60s - like affordable housing and a properly functioning NHS - that Britain would benefit from today.

As someone who is very interested in the social and political history of both Britain and Europe between 1945 and 1979, I have read extensively about that era and I am very much aware of the reality of the time and view nothing through rose-tinted spectacles. The contrary, if anything.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Perhaps I'll confine myself to observing that the past was better because you were younger. 

And worse here  because it wasnt air conditioned!

• Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

But there are many things from the 50s and 60s - like affordable housing and a properly functioning NHS - that Britain would benefit from today.

Affordable housing - like Rachmann slums??

properly functioning NHS - that did not then have cures for cancers or even means to provide remission in many cases or where arthritis meant pain and not a replacement knee or hip or where a heart attack almost always meant death and not a bypass or stent.   I could go on.

Your rose coloured specs sure are a deep shade.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 1