The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I reckon  for  your next ER   UK meet-up  to put the world to rights  you should pack some rubber gloves.

And pick a pub you don't mind being barred from... 

2 hours ago, polybear said:

... That could be a tad, er, "interesting" - especially if the private room in the Ginger Whinger isn't available.....

Ahhh. Furry clad minds think alike! 

doctorshandwriting.png.c3e9efe7781913789eb0513589e40244.png

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Ive just remembered that we had a genuine fraggle visit the RADar museum on Friday, nice bloke, but he only did boat and hairy plane muddling. Much of the rest of the conversation was on Dalby radar station,  which was on the farm his wife's family own / owned.

image.png.1da4da77bdced100a39c815f9b8433c2.png

Which brings me to the locomotive Omaha, it is so named because the owners father was part of the radar unit that landed on Omaha beach on D-Day

https://www.therafatomahabeach.com/omaha-the-locomotive/

Afternoon Awl,

Sailing on the broad today , 

Course XP, 5S, 3S,2S,1S,4S. Or roughly translated as windward, leeward, then almost windward to 3, across the top, a run to 1, and across the bottom to 4 behind the start line.

Race1,

three boats arrive early at the start and were sat there sails fluttering, hoping not to get pushed over the line. BM arrived on time went up through the gap between the boats and the inner distance mark,and briefly was in first place, arrived at the top mark in third, went round the mark and dropped to 4th on the run, held that position for the first lap, on rounding buoy 4, the three lead boats for some reason went way off to leeward, BM pointed much higher, by the time we reached the top mark, BM was up to 3rd, but close behind Second. Held that for another lap, but on reaching 2 the boom just touched the buoys metal pole, so while BM did a 360, she dropped back to 4th which is where she finished. On handicap maybe 3rd.

Race 2,

Two boats arrived early on the line this time, but BM did the same thing, shot up the gap between the two waiting..  and the inner distance. The rest of the race was gain when close hauled, loose on the run.. followed the first two for the entire race.. probably 3rd place.

Race 3, made a cockup, missed the start by about 15 seconds the lead two were away, but BM slowly caught up, just behind at the top mark, lost out on the run, this continued for the entire race, the difference being this time BM stayed close behind, so i think by the finish BM was first on handicap though still third on the water..

Time I think to check some eyelids.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

We had a new head of department when I taught at a sixth form college. There was some talk about arranging an end of term meal. However the head of dept said he had been banned “for life” from most establishments in Hornchurch. We did find a Chinese restaurant where he wasn’t known. 
Tony

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I need to say sorry , I thought this was going to be about the intro  music not the intro graphics .

But I do know that at one time they used an instrumental section of The Chain by Fleetwood Mac .

Found this , start at 3-00 . Plus it was also used for F1 coverage .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCMD126rrRo

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

I ask for the PSA test every couple of years . . . . . .the Fickle finger of fate comes later with the test results  . .  don't take any chances . . .GET IT CHECKED.

John

I cannot stress the importance of this. The key to “beating cancer” (a terrible term, but we can go with it) is

• Early identification (you have a “problem”) 
  • Early diagnosis (we now know what that “problem” is)
  • Early treatment (this is what we’re going to do - now)

Many cancers that were death sentences when I started in the mid-70s, are now curable, provided you keep to Early, Early, Early!

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

My dear chap, £100/hr (plus pharmacy fees) are ”mates rates”

Let me guess - Latex Gloves are a grand a box (or part thereof....)

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good afternoon everyone

Today I'm celebrating my 68th successful orbit around the sun,

Happy Birthday Brian. I’m just one year behind you 👍

Isn’t it curious how many amazing and wonderful people were born in the mid-50s….

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, polybear said:

That could be a tad, er, "interesting" - especially if the private room in the Ginger Whinger isn't available.....

Nope we do have the private room 

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Absolutely no worries on that account.

If anyone gets curious, I shall use some very big medical words, dozens of them, in a very long and complicated sentence, and I will convince them that it is a genuine medical emergency!

13 minutes ago, polybear said:

Let me guess - Latex Gloves are a grand a box (or part thereof....)

Indeed not. What you are paying for, my Dear Bear is the experience, knowledge and expertise*

But if you don’t mind me turning it into a teaching exercise, I can reduce the fee somewhat more. I am sure the lads would all be eager to have a go!.

* all joking aside, this is actually why top notch consultants are so expensive – you are paying for years of hard-won experience, expertise, and knowledge.

Edited by iL Dottore
Stoopid Autocorrect
  • Like 15
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, polybear said:

Could this mean the beginning of the end as we know it?  Will our beloved steam choo choo's lose that lovely smell - instead smelling like a Routemaster Bus idling at the Traffic Lights?

I can tell you that oil burners don't smell very different up close. All the same smells of hot lubricating oil and steel. Just no soot in your eyes if you open the window and look out of a train.

Both the big local 4-8-4s (UP4449 and SP&S700) are oil burners. They still smell like steam locomotives.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Happy birthday Brian BSW01!

I will add my voice to those talking about prostate checks.  Last autumn I had waterworks problems and couldn't go.  So I had the gloved finger which found slight enlargement and a PSA test - which came out as low for my age.  I now take Tamsulosin which seems to have cured the problem.  Having the hernia repair also made things a lot better, my GP thinks that movement of things in the abdomen brought about by the hernia was causing pressure on the bladder and the prostate making it even worse.  As long as I dodn't drink too much liquid in the evening I often sleep comfortably right through the night, and go less often and more productively through the day.

Church went well as usual this morning.  I then had an early lunch, just after 1p.m. a friend called to give me a lift to our monthly railway meeting about 35 minutes drive away.  It was very pleasant.  Part of the time was spent watching a small 4 wheeled shunter (n gauge) moving very slowly following a computer controlled routine for shunting wagons in a yard.  It relies on a number of IR sensors in strategic locations to ensure that wagons always end up in exactly the right place for the uncouplers to work.  The coding for it is not difficult, just time consuming - not something I'd like to try to do though I do know (in theory) how to do it.

In a few minutes I'll get tea and then sit and read or something.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Yes, yes, all very well and good, what did they actually do?

Would you like the full explanation of baseball?

The West Coast League is a summer league played by university students during their summer break. (The NCAA college baseball season is in the Spring while school is in session.) The WCL is baseball by the rules, but pretty irreverent compared with the 'bigs' and doesn't take itself seriously. Silliness by fans is encouraged as are the themed events on game nights.

I actually wish I had been there. The finish was about as exciting as baseball can get. The Pickles were the home team, which by convention bats last, in the bottom of the ninth inning (the last one) with two outs and behind by a run, meaning if one more batter is out they lose, but the bases were loaded ...

The final is online. Those interested may watch the last two at bats.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Fixed timing in link
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I ... decided to try Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum 0%

Even at full strength, the Captain is only consumable as a Cuba Libre - diluted with Coca-Cola (though I will admit it is enjoyable that way.) Friends liked it but there are so many dark rums I enjoy far more.

I thank you for the warning.

I don't enjoy rum with Diet Coke - tastes 'wrong'.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Taking a break from watching the cricket so that I can have dinner, The first innings has just finished so I better get on with it.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I love a V8 coupe, in fact it could be argued that a ute is basically a coupe with a huge boot!

Ummm. It is a coupé. By definition a "utility coupé". "Ute" is the contraction for "utility coupé", or someone who plays sports at the University of Utah or the local indigenous people of that area.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cdd7y3nm09lo

An opportunity for CC? Though so would be a touch of blackmail regarding the explosives in the Richard Montgomery and the Beaufort's Dyke. 'Litter louts' doesn't begin to cover it. If the Richard Montgomery stuff detonates in one go, central London is at serious risk. And at least a couple of ERs might well be (justifiably) nervous. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cdd7y3nm09lo

An opportunity for CC? Though so would be a touch of blackmail regarding the explosives in the Richard Montgomery and the Beaufort's Dyke. 'Litter louts' doesn't begin to cover it. If the Richard Montgomery stuff detonates in one go, central London is at serious risk. And at least a couple of ERs might well be (justifiably) nervous. 

Are they the ammunition ships located where Bonkers Boris wanted to build an Outer London airport?

Thanks to @The White Rabbit I understand that the Montgomery is the ship in the Thames estuary (off Sheerness), and Beaufort's Dyke is a MoD dumping ground between Scotland and Northern Ireland, a bit north of the IOM, with over a million tons of really nasty rotting odnance.....

Edited by Hroth
further info
  • Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

The only bad bits were the teas (he was a member so we got food) - always lettuce sandwiches.  I still don't like lettuce very much.

What (he dares ask) is a lettuce sandwich? I'm guessing it has lettuce, buttered bread and nothing else. This is almost as pointless as those revolting cucumber sandwiches.

I've avoided watercress sandwiches. (Not that I had to try very hard.)

And people wonder why "English food" has a bad reputation.

Nothing wrong with 'simple' sandwiches - a BLT can be magnificent. (Better as a BLTA, with avocado.) I would vote for piled high hot pastrami and Swiss cheese on rye with yellow mustard at a Jewish deli. Getting fancier the Cubano - ham, roast pork, pickles, Swiss cheese and yellow mustard pressed in a panini press.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Ummm. It is a coupé. By definition a "utility coupé". "Ute" is the contraction for "utility coupé", or someone who plays sports at the University of Utah or the local indigenous people of that area.

The 'Ute' or more correctly 'coupe utility' was originally an Australian vehicle, the first were made in 1936 by Ford Australia. The coupe type cab could seat up to four persons and enabled the vehicle to be used as a commercial during the week and as a car at weekends.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Each side has only 100 balls to bowl (5 an over).

So Twenty/20 for umpires that can't count to six?

What's the point? 100 deliveries versus 120 deliveries? How does this make a material difference?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Are they the ammunition ships located where Bonkers Boris wanted to build an Outer London airport?

The Richard Montgomery is in the Thames estuary - Beaufort's Dyke is between NI and Scotland, just where Worzel Gummidge / Boris was talkin' about building a bridge. The costs of 'making safe' the many thousands (millions?) of tons of aged explosives would add a lot to the total cost. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7