The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Indeed Peter, but then we go into deepest, darkest GWR (gulp) territory.

Dave

Don't worry . we don't hang  non-believers any more.     😎

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

It's good to see you back Dave H.

In the end I decided to go to a garden centre this morning, as I had a voucher for coffee and cake/scone to use up as well as some reward vouchers which were all due to expire at the end of the month.  So I went to Dobbies in Gosforth and had a coffee and a very good cheese scone.  I had a walk round, talked about sorting out my pond with the aquatic people and found I am doing the right thing -  getting rid of old decrepit vegetation, clearing muck out of the bottom and so on, then restock it gradually.  I left with some new table mats which are the obvious things to buy in a garden centre.  I was tempted by the whisky but managed to resist.  To be honest it is not really the best time to plant most of the plants I may want in the next year or so.

On the way back I stopped outside a row of houses where parking is officially allowed on the kerb, it even has special signs.  It is then about 5 minutes walk to a bridge over the ECML where I spent a pleasant half hour taking photos of things going by, photos are in my photo thread.  About 40 years ago I used to park on the road by the bridge but the road has got busier, I gave that up about 30 years ago and have rarely been there since then until today.  I may go more often in future.

On the way home I came over the new bridge at the new station.  Being a brand new bridge and road which has been open for just over a week it naturally has road works on it with traffic lights to put up signs and bridge finishing plates (whatever they are).  Even when that is done there is surfacing to do where it joins the old road.

The sun is still shining but it is cooler. 17°C at the moment in my garden.

David

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I've done very little today, the heat and humidity are making me very lethargic. Got to move now as dinner is ready, banges and mash with onion gravy.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Don't worry . we don't hang  non-believers the more enlightened ones anymore.     😎

There, corrected it for you......

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

I took my small rucksack down to the local cobblers (does all kinds of repairs) to ask about the zip that failed while we were on holiday. I did initially think I would replace the bag  until I saw “how much!?” and decided to go for a repair. I was offered two prices, one which was for a high tech fully waterproof zip or a normal one. I went for the normal one similar to the one  that had lasted for years. The cobbler was very chatty and showed me some of the stuff he has in for repair, quite a varied collection. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I have had various messages from BT telling me about their BT Cloud service ending.  This has had me checking that anything there exists somewhere else. I have given up being selective and I am downloading the lot and will sort it out later.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I’ve had a better day outside than I did yesterday. We’ve had no rain today! So, once I’d set up the workbench and clamped the wash stand frame to it, I set about sanding it. It was all done before dinner. I then washed down the stand and left it stood in the sunshine to dry, as I packed away all my sanding equipment. 

After dinner, I took my workbench and all the wash stand parts to the cellar, along with a large dust cloth, so I don’t drip paint all over my new cellar floor! I then made a start putting the first coat of paint on. It’ll definitely need at least one more coat of paint, but it’s looking and feeling a lot better than did before. Going by the finish the wash stand arrived with, I don’t think it had ever seen a sheet of sandpaper in its life! Tomorrow I’ll continue with the painting and I’m hoping to get some furniture wax on the top and shelf. 

Once I’d changed out of my dirty work clothes, washed and put on some clean clothes and finished making the fruit tea loaf that id left soaking overnight. 

Welcome back Dave. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium

After several weeks of no rain and high temperatures, tonight the world was put to rights.  Over 2 inches rain in under 20 minutes with accompanying winds apparently blowing in all directions.  Found a few windows that  were not fully shut by the puddles inside the house!  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Wall to wall sunshine, so had a wander into the hills to take advantage before the sun vanishes again. A shortish video

Your accent is more suited to Glen Parva than a Scottish Glen . . . takes me back to early 70's when i worked for the Flying D on Evinton Valley road . . .

It's been a lovely day here on the Costa  . .Lawn trimmed, weeds killed . . beard /hair trimmed . . .chillaxed.

Goodnight everyone . . sleep well . . keep smiling. . .

p.s. Good to see Dave hunt back . . . 

John

Edited by Two_sugars
seeling mistook
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

The thought of packing everything up just to go out, and the cost of the fuel, does not sit well with relaxing.

The solution to that is to purchase a small 'runabout' vehicle (four-wheel drive is ideal) that the RV / Motor coach home can tow. I regularly see this configuration on highways in the US. 

You park the motorhome in your campsite spot with the runabout unhitched, and drive around exploring in that. A small vehicle would be advantageous on Cornish lanes, and the extra petrol would not be expensive.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If it was me I would be looking for another insurer.

A strong consideration.

This insurer was one of the traditional larger companies with 'personal' agents. They really seem to be trying to compete on 'quality' of service with the cut-rate internet-portal 'only' insurers.

It's a race to the bottom in that industry.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The solution to that is to purchase a small 'runabout' vehicle (four-wheel drive is ideal) that the RV / Motor coach home can tow. I regularly see this configuration on highways in the US. 

Why stop at ‘small runabout’?

https://preview.redd.it/rv-pickup-and-boat-v0-57xkuoa93dg91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=2561f2ce6dff7e26540531240f8b087925290543

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, polybear said:

Reversing that could be interesting.....I'm amazed it's even legal.

Certainly not legal in the UK, 

A tractor can tow two trailers under specific circumstances.

A showmans licence and vehicle can tow two trailers between  showgrounds.

A road locomotive ie a huge towing lorry for outsized loads can do so .

A steam traction engine can do so in certain circumstances 

And..

A road train as seen in some holiday towns, can do so, there are all sorts of limitations on that . Like an annual permit for certain roads only.

One common theme throughout the above is a low maximum speed, normally 20mph on normal roads 40 on motorways.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

40 minutes ago, polybear said:

Reversing that could be interesting.....I'm amazed it's even legal.

What about this, then?

DSCN0880-scaled.jpg

A 9-axle B-train. Somewhat bigger, though with a professional driver.

(Edit - or Australian road trains.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 14