The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Those nano-imps are always whinging about something or other nowadays!

What amazes me is how they manage to fit so many in there and still have room for the boring stuff like batteries, on/off button and especially the view finder. Just what could do if they got rid of all that.

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Decisions, decisions.   It's fine and sunny so what shall I do?  I have ruled out visiting a number of houses and Roman Forts as they can be a bit busy and noisy in this part of August and they are all still there in September once the schools are back.  So I think it may be a coffee somewhere and then perhaps try to take some photos of fast moving things on steel strips, probably with some copper wire above them.

It is a fine sunny morning but much cooler. 11°C when I got up.  It is supposed to stay fine and dry with sun but cooler than of late.

I have some decisions to make about more odds and ends in the house as to whether to keep, bin, take to a charity shop or sell.   I think most will fall into the first three categories.  Some are already in a box to take to a charity shop, more will be added.  Yesterday I finally decided it is a waste of time hanging on to some things which just possibly have a future use even if they haven't been needed for quite a number of years.

David

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, DaveF said:

hanging on to some things which just possibly have a future use even if they haven't been needed for quite a number of years.

I have a Juki daisy wheel printer occupying space in the garage. No one seems to want  it. It has progressed from the loft to garage storage . 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone 

As I’ve sat here eating breakfast, I’ve been watching the birds on the bird feeder. This has been strategically placed, so that I can see it when I’m sat at the table. The squirrel has once again been trying to get at the fat balls, but the modifications I made a couple of weeks ago, means he can no longer get at them. The best he can do is reach a few crumbs at the bottom. 

The rain that was falling yesterday and last night has stopped and after looking out of the kitchen window, it must have stopped some time ago, as the path is dry. So, the plan for today is to finish sanding the wash stand frame, once that’s done, give it a good wipe down then take it into the cellar and begin repainting it. This time it will be an off white, not an olive green. 

Back later. 

Brian

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

... They also do a pretty good job of protecting expensive camera lenses from being scratched as well.

When I bought my last two SLRs I bought some filters as well to protect the lenses, put them on as soon as I unwrapped the lenses. The prices will have increased since but I reckoned spending £10-20 (or so?) on filters to protect a £500+ lens was a no brainer. 

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I seem to have given up using a dedicated camera for photography now and just use my phone camera. It does make lens suggestions though, usually to clean the lens. 

So long as it doesn't advise you to take the lens cap off. I have this mental image of an audio message (Alexa/Alexa style?) saying that in a certain tone. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Another morning in Peter's alternative universe...

So I ring my old mate, Alan Mask. "How's things, Al?" Apparently, he's having trouble with the Twatter software on his laptop. It got him into a bit of trouble when he was supposed to be interviewing someone important. I reassured him that the "someone" hopefully won't be  important for much longer.
Oh, and I must remind Alan not to use my electricity socket in the hallway to charge his car when he comes around. Surely he can afford to use a commercial charger. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A bit late, but better late than never....

Yesterday I went on a visit to Snugburys Ice Cream Farm nr Nantwich.

The weather wasn't promising, but the rain held off.

While there, I beheld something that is almost connected to parallel strips of metal.

Yes! It was Paddington! (Bear).

SnugPadd.jpg.3d9479494c87e6685930c7ce11a58f4b.jpg

Mine, all mine... Pentax K-70, Pentax-DA f3.5-5.6, 18-55mm zoom, 52mm UV filter.

You can even get marmalade Ice Cream while you're there, though I didn't try it.

At 45ft tall, Paddington is a little bigger than PB....

As I left, the rain started to fall, and by time I got home it was bucketing down and stayed so most of the evening.  :-(

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/stunning-45ft-paddington-bear-marmalade-29712375

Edited by Hroth
Photographic equipment info. And a link to a MEN article, with a pic of the ice cream!..
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Cleared pathway through jungle at edge of field and down into ditch...

Cut back brambles so I could work in ditch.

Dug trench in bottom 1 spade deep, 3 spades wide 20 spades long.

Pipe not found, 

Me knackered.

Tomorrow weather permitting, extend trench one way by half a dozen spades. Go down another spade..

Muggacoffee, then that bridge...

• Friendly/supportive 18

36 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You can even get marmalade Ice Cream while you're there, though I didn't try it.

At 45ft tall, Paddington is a little bigger than PB....

And circumference?

Marmalade ice cream sounds nice. 

• Like 13
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Just came across this...

Just right for a Bear.

PSX_20240814_121851.jpg.024248ca99cf44c3821731cd94af624e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Politicians lies:  How do we count them?  If a lie is repeated at successive events, is that one or many?  If it is repeated but some detail or number changes, is that a different lie?

It would be easier to count the times some of them tell the truth.

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Just received this email from my insurer:

(My emphasis - that part is the first thing that caught my eye.)  I was tempted to substitute "Piranha Brothers" for <insurer>.

I paid my last bill in May. I don't expect another until October (homeowners') and have not received any communication from <insurer> regarding a bill. After spinning back down, this feels like some sort of shot across the bows - two months before a policy renews and at least a month before they even send me a bill.

I'm not (and won't be) signing up for autopay.

If it was me I would be looking for another insurer.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Just came across this...

Just right for a Bear.

The initial thought is ICK....

Followed by Ewwwww!

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late on parade only a 'comic' concerning things that  run on strips of steel dropped onto the mat this morning. It's a muggy 23C. here this morning. I watched Freddie Flintoff's 'Field of Dreams' last night, very interesting, and it's no wonder that India is one of the top international teams.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I’m looking at getting the 13” iPad Pro with accessories. Not sure how much memory I will need as I don’t use it for graphic heavy applications.

I have the 11” iPad Pro without accessories other than the case. Mine has 256 Gb of storage. Still half empty after a couple of years use. That does include about 50Gb of music too.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

56 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

ION

i’m definitely not residing in a comfortable part of the world. At present, the humidity has gone off the scale and although not terribly hot (about 28°C), the combination of modest heat and high humidity is quite draining.

To further render my life miserable, my ageing iPad has decided that it is going to go into dysfunction mode. It now takes forever to charge and once charged 20 minutes or 30 minutes of using it drains the battery. Fortunately, as my iPad also has a business use, my company will pay to get a new state-of-the-art replacement. I’m looking at getting the 13” iPad Pro with accessories. Not sure how much memory I will need as I don’t use it for graphic heavy applications.

Unfortunately, because I consider myself a “disgusting fat body“, I am back on my rather rigourous diet (low carbohydrate, and today I am slated to consume about 1200 Kcal), so this has, understandably, added to my weather induced grumpiness! But, unlike The Bear, who has reported falling off the wagon (numerous times) and eating cake and doughnuts, I am made of sterner stuff. Today I made my much appreciated Irish whiskey liqueur and raisin cake  And I haven’t even been tempted once  to try it. It is destined for my next door neighbour who shared her Sunday barbecue with me) and my cleaning lady for her mid morning snack, tomorrow.

Well, time to shake off this ennui and head to my office in the Alpine redoubt.

Enjoy the rest of the day as best you can, and if you can’t (and to paraphrase the Church Lady from SNL)

“Isn’t that tragic”

In Bear’s defence the donut days only happen on Warehouse days, meaning 3+ miles of wanderin’ plus much ‘umpin & dumpin’

14 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Just came across this...

Just right for a Bear.

That looks rather good

• Like 4
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

That looks rather good

I suspect I have eaten a baked bean pizza once upon a time but the recipe for that one includes refrigerator biscuits for the base. I didn’t know what they were but they contain a lot of sugar, a bit like baked beans on cake. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Afternoon all. 

An ER today as I was on early watch from just after 7. The plumbing decided 6am was too late to wait and woke me at 5.53am. At which point there was no point returning to bed for just a few minutes. 

A beautiful day down on the Cape, too, with warm sun blessing a very green sea thundering whitely onto the rocks below. 

Plenty of water-borne traffic to keep me busy too, until mid morning, then just as everything had been logged the visitors started coming. 

I had over 30 through before I handed over at noon. I had 38 yesterday afternoon but afternoons tend to be busier. Among nationalities represented (I didn’t ask everyone) were French, German, Dutch, Italian, Austrian, Indian, Brazilian and English. Quite an international morning and with at least polite interest shown by most. A few were rather more captivated with lots of good questions. 

No apologies for the selfie, which is the right way round today. It’s a genuinely nice day. And with the rest of it to myself to boot.  I might even get the bathers on later. 

IMG_7484.jpeg.9b8f0c12a31a818b16ca7c21a901c8fc.jpeg

Edited by Gwiwer
Reason? I need a reason? Nahhhh
  • Like 19

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I have a Juki daisy wheel printer occupying space in the garage. No one seems to want  it. It has progressed from the loft to garage storage . 

I short 'throw' - other means of disposal are available, to the skip then.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Bright blue and pleasantly warm.

Sandy wanted me to get a motorhome in her final instructions to me. I'm glad I didn't and have a caravan. The thought of packing everything up just to go out, and the cost of the fuel, does not sit well with relaxing. I can now leave everything if I want and do it later.

And yes, that includes the washing up.

Very naughty that. I was brought up, some might say dragged up would be a better term but I can't possibly comment to never go out/ to bed with unwashed pots.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold