The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I wonder if someone will produce a book titled  The Lies and Delusions of Donald J Trump .

It has been done in various forms. A book is available. It was first presented as a travelling museum exhibit.

It was a parody of a Presidential Library. It contained "tweets" printed and artfully displayed for patrons to browse and contemplate. This (parody) video will give you a sense of it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl

Late input due to a very poor nights lack of sleep, just tooooooo hot...

So got up late, went straight to the motor boat.

It went well, it was hot,

It went badly, it was hotter,

It went well, it was even hotter...

First remove the old window frame, which has three sections, like this,

PSX_20240813_145631.jpg.fcb305c20ec12accb6c81eb8b57f4b45.jpg

Though actually the one the other side.

That was easy due to the preparation done beforehand.

Then it was taken apart, the right hand glass section in the photo being already broken.

A new section was cut from 3mm acrylic.

All well so far..

New window rubbers were cut from a roll I'd bought years ago, fitted on glass and plastic.

They are sealed in place with sealant.

That's where it went wrong...

I'd just loosely assembled it all when it fell apart in my hands, I got covered in the gue as did the windows.

So I cleaned up as best I could, re gued,  and reassembled.

Inserted window frame into cabin side, lots more gue.

I put in the minimum screws / nuts and bolts around the frame to squeeze it on , tried to fit the central hopper glass, it shot straight through and into the river...

At that point I then retired to the aft cabin ( north facing as moored) and had an eyelid inspection. Helped by a can of somewhat warm cider. Left over from regatta week.

Then in even more heat, cut a piece of acrylic for the central hopper, and fitted that. I'd intended replacing the glass anyway, but not today in the heat..

Then all the remaining screws, nuts and bolts were inserted and tightened up. All well.

Back to the outside, remove all excess gue.

Didn't attempt to remove all the gue on the acrylic and glass as it would scratch, I'll get some specific gue remover..

Cleaned and tidied up, feeling very rough and maybe a touch hypoglycemic .. probably due to the new pills. So went to the cafe had a pasty and coffee, felt much better, returned home.. now lying on a sofa wearing not a lot, with a cold drink..

Used paper tape on one military computer, I left in 88 but know it was still in use till 93.. also worked on one where most of my bit of programming was done true 1960s style, set 16 switches, press spring loaded switch to enter to read or write.

7 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I did some human reproduction biology practical round the back of the bike sheds.................................................................

Since the only school I went to which had bike sheds was boys only, the only thing that went on there ( I believe) was smoking. I don't / didn't smoke...

Time for another eyelid inspection..

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

48 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I did some human reproduction biology practical round the back of the bike sheds.................................................................

And the chat-up lines?

I always found that "you have the most entrancing tensor fascia lata. You must have amazing external rotation" or "you really have an exquisite splenius capitis, I'd love to see you adduct it" have always worked for me.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

It's been a peaceful day.  The first part of the morning was as sort of planned spent sorting old papers, apart from a few useful addresses/phone numbers the whole lot ended up in the bin.

The man came to fix the door just after coffee, it didn't take him long so I have a nice shiny letter box and door handles and everything works properly.  It would have taken me ages and not have been as good at the end.  I had the cash to pay him - though the cash dispenser I used at the weekend must have run out of £20 notes so I had to pay him in £10s.

After lunch I did some gardening , then felt weary but not tired.  So I went upstairs. lay down and closed my eyes.  Then I let my mind gradually empty itself of thoughts and relaxed. thinking of nothing.  I always find it very helpful - I suppose it is a form of meditation.  I usually do it for anything from about 10 minutes to an hour or so - though in the latter I suspect I may actually sleep a bit.

Eventually I decided to rejoin the world and got on with things, including writing this.  Next will be a bacon sandwich for tea as a change and then an evening not doing much.  Oh - rain has started.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The electric motor inside my parkside battery mini drill, has knackered bearings, causing the drill bits to wobble all over the place.

The motor in the drill is marked RS355 12V, which appears to be like rocking horse dodoos.

However found a YouTube video of such a drill being taken apart.. it's motor was marked RS395, was much more findable, and a reasonable price of £6.01 delivered by the end of the month. Just hope the electronics in the drill like the different motor.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I know. Our cleaning lady is an absolute treasure and almost part of the family. So we do our utmost to ensure that she finds it a positive experience to work for us (and with us).

Is iD Towers Mk.2 still close enough for her to continue?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

Warehouse Day today....it was warm.....

One problem of being in large vans is they have large windscreens - meaning they do a pretty good impression of a Greenhouse....

If only the Aircon worked....

We helped out a Builder/Landscape Gardener type who's large open-back van had decided not to restart right outside one of our shops.  We did manage to push-start it - but it's not the some of thing I'd want to do every day.  For some reason they seem a bit heavier than a Mk. 3 Cortina.....

Yesterday I got an email from Postie Pat to say that Bear's new Choo-Choo would be delivered today; as I knew I wouldn't be home I re-arranged the delivery to another day, including the instruction to leave with a neighbour if I wasn't in, just to hopefully cover all bases.

What happens?  I get an email today to say that my new Choo Choo had been "Successfully delivered and left in Bear's safe place".  Only Bear doesn't have a "Safe Place".......

And where was this safe place?  In plain sight next to (not even in) a recycling box.....

T0ssers.

If it had walked I would've have them over a barrel though, cos' they'd put a card thru' the door describing exactly where they left it.....

I reckon that's dangerously close to being a Rant.

BG

• Friendly/supportive 18

6 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

But it's so much fun , I wonder if someone will produce a book titled  The Lies and Delusions of Donald J Trump .

Only problem as I see it is that it would run to as many volumes as the Encyclopedia Britannica .      😎

He says things the way a little kid does, never thinking that everyone can see that what he says is complete rubbish - case in point with the Elon interview "I never said Lock Her Up, and when ever the crowd chanted it I told them to stop!"

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

my buddy who got a pacemaker

One of the things being considered for MiL after her last collapse and visit to A&E is a pacemaker. I wondered how this was possible for a 96 year old but the reported cases seem very positive. Mainly from reliable sources in the  US.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Yeah. I failed that one as well. Thankfully - at the time!  

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Let's see now....

• iD @iL Dottore can't get enough of Maccy D's
  • Puppers @PupCam has flogged his Bikes and bought a Lambretta; he was last seen wearing a Parka with a Target on his back....
  • Jamie @jamie92208 has sold up and moved to Solihull 
  • @The Q swapped Blue Moon for a Windsurfer
  • Chimpey @monkeysarefun swapped the Ute for a Gee Gee and is taking Riding Lessons
  • @Grizz has swapped his cherished Heavy Metal collection for St. Winifred's School Choir and "Grandma I Love You"
  • @Dave Hunt gave all his Locos away and was last seen gazing longingly at a book on G.W Engines

Apart from that it's business as usual.....

A fine example of "The Art Of Living Dangerously" !

Do you prefer flowers or a donation to the RNLI?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Definitely a donation - but to CRUK; I always think "what a waste" when I see how much must've been spent** on Flowers

(**Especially when it's some sort of significant tragedy of the type that seems to appear on news reports all too often now, sadly;  just think what good could be done with that money - instead sending a sympathy card etc.)

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Back of the bike sheds? Poly bears (and other bears) like a bit more comfort thank you.

image.png.5e1156dc793ffa7cc8ec8a04e65de09b.png

Jeez, that was one helluva party, that one....the cake n' pizza was to die for, too.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just as I got home from shopping it started to rain, great big drops about the size of a 50p piece and making quite a noise on the metal of the car. At least it cooled things down and settled the pollen but its sent the humidity soaring.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Let's see now....

• iD @iL Dottore can't get enough of Maccy D's
  • Puppers @PupCam has flogged his Bikes and bought a Lambretta; he was last seen wearing a Parka with a Target on his back....
  • Jamie @jamie92208 has sold up and moved to Solihull 
  • @The Q swapped Blue Moon for a Windsurfer
  • Chimpey @monkeysarefun swapped the Ute for a Gee Gee and is taking Riding Lessons
  • @Grizz has swapped his cherished Heavy Metal collection for St. Winifred's School Choir and "Grandma I Love You"
  • @Dave Hunt gave all his Locos away and was last seen gazing longingly at a book on G.W Engines

Apart from that it's business as usual.....

And we mustn't forget.....

• @polybear has binned all his stocks of tinned and frozen food, enrolled in Prue Leith's Cookery School and has vowed to only eat "artisanal" from now on - no matter the cost....
Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Living dangerously?

Death Wiish if you ask me...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10