The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather is looking good, so I’ve a little sanding job to do on the new wash stand we bought a couple of years ago. Its finish isn’t great, so I’m going to dismantle it, sand down all the parts, then re-assemble and paint it. Of course it won’t all get done today, but I’m hoping to get the sanding done! This should earn me a few brownie points, which will come in handy for the weekend, when I’m off to Shipley for the ExpoEM north exhibition. 

Back later.

Brian 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I will have to go out shortly as I put off yesterdays shopping trip because of the heat, I'm now out of almost everything. The pollen count is almost off of the scale but the car and Tess Coes both have air conditioning.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Did I mention the humidity?  

The rain is now set in. The air can’t contain it. Sun has been cancelled for another day.  

IMG_7482.png.5785b9aa49d98aecb35275e4e53af121.png

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:
12 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

(OK - it's called the Celtic Sea these days)

That's a new one on Bear - I wonder what attention-seeking herbert came up with that bright idea?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Sea#:~:text=The Celtic Sea receives its,to the north and east.

It’s been around as a concept for over 100 years. It has been formally named and defined for around 60 years.  

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

@iL Dottore  we had a cleaner but then I switched jobs.. and she was offered a very well paid job. Since then I am home so can do a bit of the cleaning.

Finding good cleaners is a major problem.

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 13

3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@iL Dottore  we had a cleaner but then I switched jobs.. and she was offered a very well paid job. Since then I am home so can do a bit of the cleaning.

Finding good cleaners is a major problem.

Baz

I know. Our cleaning lady is an absolute treasure and almost part of the family. So we do our utmost to ensure that she finds it a positive experience to work for us (and with us).

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A tad late this morning as someone pulled the plug on RMweb to install an update.* A fitful night last night due to the humidity, no interruptions from the usual suspects, perhaps they were suffering from the heat as well. 

*Whoever pulled the plug it must have been in the early hours where they are. Hopefully the update will sort out the recent problems with the site.

That explains the sudden reappearance of my RMweb Gold medallion, which I had disabled by @AY Mod a while ago when I signed up for "special treatment" and didn't particularly want it displayed.  Nowadays I can't be bothered worrying about it!

However, I do wonder about the differentiation between RMweb Gold and Premium membership!

Re: site problems. Its not done anything so far, this post hung for several minutes before deciding that the site was unavailable...

Edited by Hroth
added info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Pesky computer sent message before I'd finished. I'll start again...

Tip of the day (take two).

Do NOT put your environmentally friendly paper-based National Trust card through the washing machine. It will not survive the experience. On the other hand, your plastic ENCTS bus pass will.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Do NOT put your environmentally friendly paper-based National Trust card through the washing machine. It will not survive the experience. On the other hand, your plastic ENCTS bus pass will.

Ah, but if you put the bus pass* in a jamjar of acetone/nail varnish remover, it will completely delaminate. However its then possible to recover the smartchip and aerial, which will still work as expected...

I saw that on a telly programme the other week!

* debit card, credit card, etc

Edited by Hroth
extra!
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I recommend ignoring that sort of nonsense. You'll sleep better.

But it's so much fun , I wonder if someone will produce a book titled  The Lies and Delusions of Donald J Trump .

Only problem as I see it is that it would run to as many volumes as the Encyclopedia Britannica .      😎

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

The QR code in the NT card works when transferred to a phone wallet for their car parks but I have never used the phone app for entrance to a property. 

• Informative/Useful 9

16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Ah, but if you put the bus pass* in a jamjar of acetone/nail varnish remover, it will completely delaminate. However its then possible to recover the smartchip and aerial, which will still work as expected...

I saw that on a telly programme the other week!

* debit card, credit card, etc

That's good to know...

And I've just cut the grass here in dry and sunny Dorset.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 10

21 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

But it's so much fun , I wonder if someone will produce a book titled  The Lies and Delusions of Donald J Trump .

Only problem as I see it is that it would run to as many volumes as the Encyclopedia Britannica .      😎

It'll almost certainly be called "The Enormous Gold Book of President Trump" subtitled "much much bigger than Chairman Mao's red book" and be required reading (or at least required to be on the bookshelf a shelf, reading comprehension may not be available for at least two reasons) of a substantial portion of the US population.

"Depressed by this thought" enz.

Edited by enz
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Afternoon All,

I am still around, and apologise for my absence, which is due to lack of a PC as my laptop died on me and wouldn't recharge.  It had a trip to the local PC repairer, who diagnosed a faulty charging jack (surprise) and ordered the part - then rang me to say that the part was out of stock at many suppliers.  He managed to source one which was delivered on Monday, and I got the laptop back this afternoon.  I have no chance of catching up now, so if anything really important has happened, can somebody please PM me.  Thanks.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Friendly/supportive 18

I don't understand why people exaggerate, I really don't.
I went to the local shop and the crowd there was bigger than for Martin Luther King's speech. The camera angles never lie.
And my house is the tallest in our area with 52 floors. 
And I had a near death exprience in a helicopter with my name on the side, sitting next to Gordon Brown, or was it James Brown?
Good job everything isn't about me...

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

16 hours ago, southern42 said:

With all this talk of biology dissections, I am glad I changed my mind and did geography instead.

Erupting volcanoes, tidal and current erosion, meandering rivers, and spewing, smelting, and smokey industries were much more up my street.

I did both 😀 (along with history)

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I've always been glad I did Biology at school, along with Chemistry and Physics. Sadly if you did Biology you couldn't do A levels maths as they were timetabled at the same time.  Fortunately at school our Maths teacher covered the L6 maths syllabus in the 5th (now yr11) as we had finished the 0 level syallbus a year early.  More advanced bits I needed I picked up from Mum as she taught Maths.

I did a degree called "Joint Honours in Botany & Zoology" which probably shows my age, we did about 70% of the Botany degree course and the same for Zoology so we learnt a lot.  It did involve some dissections, as did my gap year job in a cancer research laboratory.

It also involved a lot of ecology, looking at living things in their environment which is even more interesting.

Now I am retired it makes my days out - or even short walks from home - interesting as I spend a lot of the time looking at the plants and animals I see, identfiying them and seeing how they live.

However, I have been doing the identifying and studying what living things do since I was a small child, probably because Mum and Dad knew the names of most things they saw so I was brought up like that.  I suspect I was always destined to be a biologist.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Will be out to Tess Coes shortly to do my shop that it was too hot to do yesterday, also I have nothing left in the fridge for lunch. Better get a move on then, be back later.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

But who would read it? Those who deify him would burn it in preference, and this who consider that his speeches are mostly untruths would not bother.

However if evidence were ever needed n court then it may have a use, but can we see that happening?

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Thank you. I knew someone would know.

As it's on the very outer fringes of Greater Manutopea- out in the foot hills of the Pennies, so not a place I frequent. They don't speak proper Manc as well so I need a translator, and no Google doesn't work either, when I do go.

According to my Sister in Law, who grew up at tupsarse ( Ramsbottom), it's pronounced Rottenstawl. 

Apparently Emily and her mums are now in La Belle France and heading towards Le Mans. 

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Ah punchcards.  I remember them well* and when that system became defunct, I obtained a couple of punchcard cabinets.  Ideal for storing lots of muddling bits and bobs.   I also remember using punch tape but for the life of me cannot now remember what the program did.

*  I also remember seeing someone drop a stack of cards on the floor.  They seemed to be a bit unhappy about it for some reason.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

But who would read it? Those who deify him would burn it in preference, and this who consider that his speeches are mostly untruths would not bother.

However if evidence were ever needed n court then it may have a use, but can we see that happening?

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I've always been glad I did Biology at school, along with Chemistry and Physics. Sadly if you did Biology you couldn't do A levels maths as they were timetabled at the same time.  Fortunately at school our Maths teacher covered the L6 maths syllabus in the 5th (now yr11) as we had finished the 0 level syallbus a year early.  More advanced bits I needed I picked up from Mum as she taught Maths.

I did a degree called "Joint Honours in Botany & Zoology" which probably shows my age, we did about 70% of the Botany degree course and the same for Zoology so we learnt a lot.  It did involve some dissections, as did my gap year job in a cancer research laboratory.

It also involved a lot of ecology, looking at living things in their environment which is even more interesting.

Now I am retired it makes my days out - or even short walks from home - interesting as I spend a lot of the time looking at the plants and animals I see, identfiying them and seeing how they live.

However, I have been doing the identifying and studying what living things do since I was a small child, probably because Mum and Dad knew the names of most things they saw so I was brought up like that.  I suspect I was always destined to be a biologist.

David

I gave up biology after my first at grammar school. Didn't like dissecting stuff like fish. Ugh...

• Friendly/supportive 10