The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

edit:  One of Bear's "Toys to Play With" includes a rather nice Defibrillator that was a donation; it needs a bit of inspection & research in order to confirm it's worth shelling out something like a Sound Deltic for a new Battery (every 5 years) and new pads (every two years) in order to get it serviceable/100% again.  I need a scrote to test it on - preferable one that's still currently walking and grunting.....

• Like 6
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Nice morning here in the North West Leeds Highlands.. the sky would fit into a well hnown cartoon series featuring a certain Bart!

I have some financial dealings to do today .. hopefully I can get a decent amble in as well.

Her indoors is off to a music day with friends. So today, like most days, is my own.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 17

On  Monday @Gwiwer and I were discussng basking sharks and their absence this year - on Tuesday one swam into St Ives harbour ...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/basking-shark-st-ives-cornwall-harbour-b2593116.html?fbclid=IwY2xjawEirmVleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHdz146SqxDHBF_J44kveBmVFSClXa-i5ZD1IdGJTG7M15o_mMiVS3nflhw_aem_8RuY9QZ4kAskLX0NAQHoOg

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

In 2001 I came back from Saudi, no burning piles here in Norfolk that I could see, but then we are mostly plant based farming. It wasn't till about 5 years ago that we got an increase in sheep and cattle farming in the area.

The current farmer of the land around us appears to be much more traditional in having a mixed farm, and using O Der de cowshed on the fields. There was a big pong around here yesterday, hopefully the promised rain will wash that in before the ploughing commences.

Saudi TV news other than being anti Israel, was mostly showing how wonderful the king (and the rest of the house of Saud) was, and how bad Iran and the rest of the world was.

Just what is the American obsession with "pickles"? there are often sailing events mentioned on American forums which reference " pickle bowls".

Mooring Awl,

3 hours sleep, medium awake , 3.5 hours sleep, plus some unspecified dozing.

As for what I wear on the bed rather than in it, it depends on how hot it is, it looks like Monday will be not a lot..

Just been and taken the trial pill, from the kitchen window it appears to be very windy outside with a hint of drizzle, very overcast.

Our various Collies over the years generally ignored flys until they got annoying, then you'd hear a snap of their jaws, sometimes the buzzing would stop, but not often, they weren't that good at catching them.

Time to get up properly, get breaky then suited and booted for the radar museum.

There are concerns about muck spreading in that it contributes to nitrate run off into water courses. This in turn can lead to the formation of algae blooms and the poisoning of the water to fish and humans.

Whilst muck is cheaper than artificial fertilisers there application also increases nitrate levels. 

Water treatment plants  remove high levels of nitrates in order to make the water safe for human consumption.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a rock that is reet windy, but at least it is dry. 15C is rather a disappointment.

Old Farts morning, our brekky destination is now in the hands of a randomiser computer, as we can never decide where to go.  It works by having a map of the island on the wall of the garage where we muster, with brunch eateries marked on it, and a dart......never fails.  Except when someone misses of course.

One of the Elders has a new bike we need to mull over today, another of those 'retro' modern-but-look-old jobs, a Sakakakki W800.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, polybear said:

edit:  One of Bear's "Toys to Play With" includes a rather nice Defibrillator that was a donation; it needs a bit of inspection & research in order to confirm it's worth shelling out something like a Sound Deltic for a new Battery (every 5 years) and new pads (every two years) in order to get it serviceable/100% again.  I need a scrote to test it on - preferable one that's still currently walking and grunting.....

Do you fancy a day away from Bear Towers? If so come to Manutopea. We have plenty of scrotes, being their place of origin- don't listen to the half truths put about by a certain Hippo that Tefland is the one and only place for there birth.

Alternatively we can arrange for one to be delivered to you. Can't guarantee that he will be 'upright' - the spice might not have worn off by the time he arrives, but I'm certain you will be able to 'warm' it up enough for your purposes.

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull start to the day here in England’s northwest corner. The first thing on the agenda for today is a walk to the butchers, this will be followed by a visit to the Trafford Centre for a few more provisions. There is the chance of a visit to the gift shop in Dunham Massey before dinner if I’m back from the TC in time. Other than that, there’s not a lot else planned for the rest of the day. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

This morning started quite early, though not bright as there is a lot of cloud around, moving quickly in the fresh wind.  Now and then there is a burst of light as the sun wakes up for a few moments and there is a bit of rain in the wind .

After breakfast I loaded the car having decided it would be a good day to visit the tip.  I left home at 08.50, was at the tip by 09.00 and on the way to the shops at 09.07.  There was only one other car there so it was a case of having to choose where to park instead of finding a space.  For saying I had to visit the skips for general waste, metal and carpet and then the containers for an old TV and small electricals I think I did very well.  There is parking for about 25 cars and it can get busy later in the day.

On the way home I did a bit of shopping in Aldi and Homebase, as usual there were very few people about.  The new railway bridge makes it much easier to get out of town and to places like the tip, it saved over 5 minutes this morning.  I came back through the town, again it was easy.

It is very nice having space to move in the garage again!  The only item left is the packaging the new TV came in, that will stay until I am sure it works well all the time.  It will all fit in the bins when it is broken up.

The rest of the day will depend on the weather but I am tempted to stay at home and do odd jobs, at least until lunchtime.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Morning

3 hours ago, polybear said:

I need a scrote to test it on - preferable one that's still currently walking and grunting.....

.... and driving?    Surely, you've got a ready-made one on your doorstop (hopefully not literally)?

ION

Blocking paving - Repaired  (unfortunately I was unable to get them to do another bit of the drive that has sunk over the years)

Road Closed Signs and Barriers - Awaiting collection by the Traffic Management Team (then it will be finished)

Currently waiting on the Junior Puppers to get their furry little behinds in gear.   Where's the tapping fingers emoji?

TTFN

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good night last night, four hours sleep plus two hours sleep in all. I wasn't woken up by the usual suspects but I'm a light sleeper and can wake up in the middle of the night for no reason. It was a bit windy last night so in the evening I closed some of the fanlights but then it got a bit muggy so I opened them again. Today's tasks is to do some shopping for the weekend and do some gardening.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

That's the fourth warbird heading west fro Duxford that's just flown over this morning.       Is there another Battle of Britain starting?

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

One of the Elders has a new bike we need to mull over today, another of those 'retro' modern-but-look-old jobs, a Sakakakki W800.

I like that , at first glance it's got a bit of a 60's BSA/Triumph  look to it .

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

This morning started quite early, though not bright as there is a lot of cloud around, moving quickly in the fresh wind.  Now and then there is a burst of light as the sun wakes up for a few moments and there is a bit of rain in the wind .

After breakfast I loaded the car having decided it would be a good day to visit the tip.  I left home at 08.50, was at the tip by 09.00 and on the way to the shops at 09.07.  There was only one other car there so it was a case of having to choose where to park instead of finding a space.  For saying I had to visit the skips for general waste, metal and carpet and then the containers for an old TV and small electricals I think I did very well.  There is parking for about 25 cars and it can get busy later in the day.

On the way home I did a bit of shopping in Aldi and Homebase, as usual there were very few people about.  The new railway bridge makes it much easier to get out of town and to places like the tip, it saved over 5 minutes this morning.  I came back through the town, again it was easy.

It is very nice having space to move in the garage again!  The only item left is the packaging the new TV came in, that will stay until I am sure it works well all the time.  It will all fit in the bins when it is broken up.

The rest of the day will depend on the weather but I am tempted to stay at home and do odd jobs, at least until lunchtime.

David

According to the BBC your new bridge cost £12 million. So make certain you take care of it.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

It is very nice having space to move in the garage again! 

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Space and garage are some of the things I have to address when I get back. 

Bear hasn't got a Garage.  Have I mentioned that?  😢

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

.... and driving?    Surely, you've got a ready-made one on your doorstop (hopefully not literally)?

Good suggestion, nicely presented.....

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

On  Monday @Gwiwer and I were discussng basking sharks and their absence this year - on Tuesday one swam into St Ives harbour ...

Yesterday afternoon two visitors to the Watch advised they had spotted a Great White Shark chasing seals off Lands End the day before (so also on Tuesday).  I suggested they might have been mistaken as Great White Sharks are not known here.  But it might have been the same basking shark.  

Welcome one and all to POETS / Frying Day.  The traffic is at a near-standstill in many areas.  Aside from Boredmasters causing mayhem all around the Newquay area the sun is shining and every visitor - plus no doubt a goodly number of locals - wants to be somewhere they are not and is trying to get there.  The trains are running a reduced service to proved the extra seats GWR promised on the Newquay branch for Boredmasters (meaning our last train to London is at 14.10 not 17.45 which will catch a lot of people out) and the First Kernow buses are on strike.  Mostly.  One or two are on the road out of the usual 50 or so.  

We drove over to Hayle this morning.  To revisit old haunts and because Dr. SWMBO wanted to visit an exhibition in the Heritage Centre there.  "Hayle Herstory" turned out to be a small but surprisingly interesting exhibit of material, artefacts and fashions relating to the women of the town.  Bal Maidens obviously, those women and girls who worked tirelessly and extraordinarily hard at the mines, but also those who worked in the dynamite works, various artists, campaigners and notables and the women of the Cryséde silk works.  A small display related to Elizabeth Carne, geologist, conchologist, philanthropist and banker.  

On, then, over the North Cliffs through a busy but surprisingly uncluttered Gwithian - where cars were not parked along both sides of the road as has become the obstructive norm in summer and which has generated good business for the tow-trucks! - to Olde Penny's Tea Room in Cambrose just inland from Portreath.  Lunch was adequate but far from remarkable and the "latté" was a jug of instant coffee served with a smaller jug of cold milk.  A fascinating place though as tables are placed throughout several rooms of what is basically a second-hand vendor's emporium.  

I was tempted by a number of Elvis Presley original-pressing 45s (some of his hits were first pressed on 78s) at just £1 each.  Those would have replaced some which I had stolen back in the days when I co-ran a youth-club disco.  Would I ever play them now?  Very unlikely.  I managed to leave them on the shelf.  Ditto a goodly collection of perfect-condition Cornishware (six each dinner plates, side plates, dessert bowls and a pudding basin) for £200 the lot or pieces individually priced.  I was reliably informed that we have enough crockery.  As Dr. SWMBO collects it (in other patterns but not the blue-hooped Cornishware) she might have been right.  

And then home through moderately heavy traffic and deftly avoiding several wayward cars (changing or cutting lanes without warning) and cyclists (two or three abreast and refusing to pull in or give way on the main A30).  I might even get some pre-muddling done if the adjustable feet arrive from the Rainforest Delivery Service later.  

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

A Big Fix obtained from the local Drug Dealer - that's a Tick.

Washing done (only a mini jobbie) - another Tick.

NNND & Buddy over the road both visited - Crayons & Bird Feeder delivered, respectively.  Tick No. 3.

I did end up staying & talking to buddy for a while, downing a Diet Pepsi in the process; it's quite possible that discussions may have strayed into non-p.c. territory occasionally....

Din Dins scoffed - I reckon a Hilly Wander may be on the cards at some point too.

Oh yes, and a Defib inspected & self-tested; it passes test but comes up with a low-battery warning.  Turdycurses - that'll be £150 +vat, Mr. Bear.  Oh yes, and the pads are life-ex as well (apparently the conductive gel can dry out) - so that'll be another £60 +vat on top.  I reckon that justifies a full-blown Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses moment then....

BG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

According to the BBC your new bridge cost £12 million. So make certain you take care of it.

The road bridge over the line was supposed to cost £10 - 11 million, the final cost is £30 million, so we have to take even better care of it.  The new pedestrian and cycle bridge to the Bebside station is quite expensive too - it crosses a dual carriageway - the cost is around £3.3 million.

The cost of the whole line from Newcastle to Ashington is about £298 million.

The train journey alomg the whole line will take about 35 minutes for the18 miles.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, BSW01 said:

a visit to the

dentist earlier and as Jack Reacher says 'hope for the best plan for the worst'. i expected the latter on a lonely crown but was pleasantly surprised to be told it was just plaque and a rocking denture.

Miserable here now, earlier this morning the sun was out and the sky was full of white fluffy clouds. I blame it on the emmetts coming down here contaminating everything!

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Just back from the visit to Chester Cathedral to view Pete Watermans VLTS.  Being a bit of a saddo, I joined the queue to drive a mechanism that runs on parallel strips of metal on it, and am now the "proud" possessor of a Ticket To Drive cert for guiding a class 805 around it...

Its a funny thing.

Normally, I've visited the VLTS on a Saturday. Viewing it today means that I now think its a Saturday....

Edited by Hroth
extra...
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I meant to post last evening but ended up too tired and p***ed off to bother.

Yesterday morning Mrs mole set off for her holiday, a night in Malvern and nine days at a music camp near Tewkesbury. After two days of packing (me: too much) followed by "have I got too much?" (Me: possibly, but it will be too streesful to unpsack odd bits at this stage), several last minute panics yesterday led her to think she was being warned off (she is psychic, whether you choose to believe).  Early evening I get a call "I'm coming home, someone ran into me".  She arrived later by taxi with all the camping stuff plus usual contents of the car, which had to be unloaded and distributed wherever was handy.  She had been at the M4-M5 interchange and had just entered the off slip for M5 when she was hit on the side by a woman who had made a late turn across the hatchings.  Said woman was abusive and blamed Mrs m, but it was her fault, according to Plod, who were very helpful.  So no camp.

She was supposed to be away next Monday when we're having new safety flooring in the kitchen, the contents of which have to go elsewhere, probably including her room, so I've had to pay for a night in a hotel for her.

The car is on its way to a repair centre near here and a courtesy car is due, too small to go to camp in though.

Off out in a minute to find our local UPS drop-off and go shopping.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I like that , at first glance it's got a bit of a 60's BSA/Triumph  look to it .

I'm not keen on the matt paint, but otherwise it's very nice, lighter than you would think and sounds very nice indeed.  It's owner has three other bikes but is planning on this being a long term keeper, he's very pleased with it, bargain 3 year old with under 200 miles on the clock!

20240809_0958061.jpg.08dc95c742e3f03461773cdb4a28efb6.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Old duffers stopped for a brew.

20240809_1227161.jpg.a0868817224e9393ef6afb0da806fced.jpg

That Guzzi is nice too, mate Steve's from around the corner to us.  He's a bit young (55) for the old duffers but looks after us.

The day has improved, 20c now and nice and sunny but still very windy.

• Like 14