The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

It was fifty five years ago today... that John, Paul, George and Ringo walked over the zebra crossing  close to EMI studios in Abbey Road for the cover of the LP they were working on...

ABBEYROAD85a.jpg.f6603963a52f6b7930ec8cef600a6b0b.jpg

ABBEYROAD220.jpg.cf793d36b8fbc8b1ca99f95c2268bdf6.jpg

ABBEYROAD34f1f.jpg.bead72c5c57c945e3fb575331a42838d.jpg

AbbeyRoad8thAugust1969.jpg.b509cfedcea56bfddddc36d5525ef08d.jpg

ABBEYROAD22d.jpg.13a2156cda213ad65c02bff9ea0a3b46.jpg

Is Ringo picking his nose? (Second pic.)

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

Off topic warning...

Didn't like the 70s at first, but they've grown on me. They did originally have a habit of self-combusting, but the cooling arrangments were sorted out. They do like to throw out some clag though.

Almost a third of the Freightliner bunch were together at Southampton yesterday. 

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Daughter chauffering duties; picking her up from last London train...

Did she have to travel in a container? 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

It used to be interesting to observe the funnel when soot blowing, it could be quite eye opening.

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Would that be the equivalent of sanding the flues on an oil burning steam loco. That can produce quite spectacular effects. 

Jamie 

Or cleaning the ports of a Commer 2-stroke.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land, well it was morning when I opened ER's  and had to read through three pages. When I was about my ablutions this morning a massive bluebottle flew in via the bathroom fanlight and started buzzing around. It disappeared into the house so armed with a fly spray I went searching for it. I didn't need the fly spray as I found it trapped in a spiders web minus a wing and a couple of legs but still buzzing weakly. The spider was enormous and soon finished the bluebottle off.  Also this post disappeared a couple of times.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

56 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Apologies for the content of the picture, but this was where I was at 12.20 am this morning...

P1750447.JPG

What is about US and Western European locomotive and EMU designers that makes them design such ugly vehicles. The last locomotive of any style and gravitas was, IMHO, the Class 50, built by English Electric at their Vulcan Foundry facility (I couldn’t find out who designed, but it seems that it was a committee job). Nowadays, most locomotives and EMUs are like most modern SUVs: boxy, bland, boring and utterly indistinguishable from one another except for the badge.

And the colour schemes!  They are neither elegant (like on the Hankyu 9300 series: burgundy, polished steel and white roofs), clean and simple (like on the JR Central N700S Series) or even delightfully quirky (like the Hello Kitty Shinkansen). Are the weird and (ahem) wonderful British TOC train liveries be an attempt by the companies to appeal to and “get down wif da kidz”?

As for the creation of the British TOC colour schemes, it seems that there only two possible explanations:

1. The designers, consultants, focus groups, project managers and “talented artists” are all smoking “some really weird s***” OR
  2. The designers, consultants, focus groups, project managers and “talented artists” are all suffering from severe visual dyslexia.

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

If I modelled the current era, I would definitely have some class 70 models. Though it was funny that when I unboxed my black Fell diesel,  Aditi said “ you waited two years for that thing”. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

IF you've ever got a spare  hour and 3 quarters, the movie "Pentagon Wars" (its on youtube) covers in a blackly humorous way the transition of the original concept of the Bradley fighting vehicle from lightweight recon vehicle to heavy gunned tank as the scope changed through more and more input from higher ups and congress.

A little bit  Catch 22, a little bit The Men Who Stare At Goats.

Stars that bloke from Cheers and Frasier.

Can't vouch for its historical accuracy but its a fun watch.

That's a very enjoyable film, it makes a lot of pointed observations using comedy.

The weird thing is that despite a troubled gestation and a mixed reputation the Bradley seems to be one of the weapons systems that has performed well in Ukraine and outperformed what many expected. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

On liveries, I must admit I like the modern TOC GWR livery, it's simple but quite elegant I think. The IEP trains look very attractive in it I think.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

On liveries, I must admit I like the modern TOC GWR livery, it's simple but quite elegant I think. The IEP trains look very attractive in it I think.

It's certainly not as garish as some TOCs and in better taste but the units do have a habit of disappearing into the landscape. A few years ago I was lurking in Sheldon on the bank of the Teign waiting for a steam special and - as it was a new photting location for me - 'practising' on the service trains. If you didn't pick up the front yellow patch, they were hard to spot. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

If I modelled the current era, I would definitely have some class 70 models. Though it was funny that when I unboxed my black Fell diesel,  Aditi said “ you waited two years for that thing”. 

Oooo!   Can we have a link to your “Unboxing the black Fell” video please?  

I’m sure we’ll all be gripped!  I hope you were kneeling down and had a bit of track ready for it on the carpet🤞

ION

Tarmac - tarmaced

Generator - gone

Monty - washed

TT

• Like 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Oooo!   Can we have a link to your “Unboxing the black Fell” video please?  

You may get a few photos when I dismantle it to replace the bogies with ones that have pickups, in an attempt to improve the standard setup. I have short wheelbase locos with only four wheels that are better. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Afternoon Awl,

Knackered I is, the wiring on the land Rover needed accessing a small cubby hole just above behind a rear wheel. I have floorboards in the back .. 

So it turned into a empty the back and sort session, it's hot and sweaty out there anyway , and even more so in the back...

So a long soak in the bath has been had..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Don't  be like that, you might still beat France.

Like at ..... Waterloo

Help was needed from 'Germans' at that one. 

Maybe if they combined the tallies of the seventh coalition?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

However, smaller nations including Ireland, Dominica and Saint Lucia are ahead of Australia on the gold-medals-per-capita basis.

Why did you not emphasize this bit with bolding etc? 😀

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm having fissionchips for tea this evening......

drooling in anticipation

One hopes they are triple cooked artisan chips from locally sourced spuds. If not you'd better not open the door when our Swiss correspondent calls.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

One hopes they are triple cooked artisan chips from locally sourced spuds. If not you'd better not open the door when our Swiss correspondent calls.

Generally speaking I don't open the door unless the caller is expected and validated.

Especially for gents with a dodgy Swiss accent, they might be cold calling for Dignitas.....

Edited by Hroth
word change to make more sense...
  • Like 4
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The service at church went well as usual, after it there was the usual coffee and chat.  I took the opportunity to give some of the communion things a better clean than usual.  Then I went towards home and parked in the small car park on the road into south harbour and walked along as far as the west pier.  Once again I only had the phone with me for photos and it was dull,  a few spots of rain fell while I was out.  As sometimes happens there were no ships in that part of the harbour but plenty of yachts, also some fishing boats out of the photo.  I went onto the beach and picked up quite a lot of cowrie shells, there were also a lot of bits of crabs, probably just broken up exoskeletons which have been discarded as the crabs grow.

Back home I sorted out the photos I've taken so far this week and got a quick salad lunch.  The afternoon has been a mix of reading and dozing with music in the background.  I also removed a lot of duckweed from the pond and put more duckweed killer in the water.  I use a big metal food sieve to scoop it out, but today found that the rust had weakened it enough that there was a big hole.  So I got out a spare plastic sieve, the handle snapped off.  I then hunted round and found another sieve which did the job.  I will have to go shopping.

I think the rest of the day will be watching the Olympics and reading magazines.

s20240808_111631.jpg.86ee5f0a7b82f7c3873fb137d5ba1f7f.jpg

South harbour yachts and club house - it is LV50 an early lightship.

s20240808_111759.jpg.fa4cda82c66fc9d3c61bad45d6eef179.jpg

Harbour entrance from west pier

s20240808_111814.jpg.e7de0a263f52a455c2b61648148ee8f9.jpg

Beach from west pier.  It is about 3 miles from where I stood to the headland on the far left if you walk along the sand.  The black bits on the beach are small pieces of natural sea coal, nothing to do with mining any more. It gets washed up from where the coal seams are exposed on the sea bed and the bits break off by the action of currents and waves.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Going back to 'niche' sports and their (un?)suitability for the Olympics, a world record was set in Cornwall yesterday: https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/08/i-feel-like-ive-been-run-over-by-a-tank-scottish-woman-breaks-world-sheep-shearing-record - and yes, reference was made to winning by a lambslide... 

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A bit late after taking a long soak in the bath but I feel better. A risotto for dinner this evening, very nice. Talking of dinner, I see the spider has disposed of the bluebottle, not a trace remains.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Talking of dinner, I see the spider has disposed of the bluebottle, not a trace remains.

Burp!

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Hroth said:
38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Talking of dinner, I see the spider has disposed of the bluebottle, not a trace remains.

Burp!

His Furship was quite insistently lunging and pawing at a large fly in the window the other day. 

After a number of attempts and much boo-wooping he licked his lips wetly as it went down. 

That’s a first for him that we know of. And it was neither returned nor was there any eructation. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7