The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Given your baked bean consumption, I assume you’re referring to the farty part of arty-farty.

Actually Bear’s BB intake has plummeted in recent months - though I did have spaggy hoops on a jacket spud with a boiled egg for din dins last night….

8 minutes ago, Barry O said:

It is a shame that the curators are getting away with daftness at Duxford..not sure where the Armoured Fighting vehicles will end up though.

Some sold, some are privately owned,

some spread around the site apparently - as to whether or not that’s inside or outside remains to be seen….

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

The last time I visited Duxford they had closed of part of the land gallery and were spreading vehicles around the site. 

I found it a bit silly as the land gallery is, or was, a wonderful museum in its own right and given that it is probably the main attraction for some visitors it seemed perfectly sensible to have a museum within the museum for land warfare. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Barry O said:

It's also VERY LOUD and physically huge.. 

Stealth vehicle? Recce vehicle ? Erm.. 

Baz

Such cynicism😢 I am reliably informed that the Ajax program is a triumph of defence procurement and the bestest AFV evvvaaaahhhhh!!🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, .

1/2 hours sleep, long awake, 3 hours sleep, long awake some semi dozing, not enough sleep.

Right ankle very unhappy for some reason, I've not done anything to any it.

I cycled to school ( on the edge of Salisbury plain) between scorpion tanks regularly ( and several other military vehicles) .

However this was before the scorpion was officially introduced. So I guess they were prototypes or on hand over..

Hmm now this thing keeps saying I have new posts to read, but new ones aren't coming up...

Plans for today 

The land Rover needs an LED indicator changed, stone hit I suppose, it arrived a couple of days ago. That's the first job before soggyness arrives, may modify the ( home made) radio fitting as well , it's a bit loose.

Ah the missing posts have just appeared .

But first having eaten I feel very tired, a snooze might occur.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

31 minutes ago, Barry O said:

It's also VERY LOUD and physically huge.. 

Stealth vehicle? Recce vehicle ? Erm.. 

Baz

Isn't that the one that also 'rattles' so much that it makes the crew sick?

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Weathered white.. no chevrons..

Baz

Unfortunately No. 10 (for it is to be she, I am 'reliably informed' that the alternative is vetoed, as '2 is poo') had dayglo chevrons when white.  Only 2 admittedly but they are of different thicknesses.  Pah.

ION Good morning all, from a rock that is slightly damp and a most un-August-like 17c.  No agenda given for the day, but a walk, maybe some finger singeing and unspecified pottering is to be undertaken.

Also we have a bike we bought for spares (for our two little street scrambler Hondas, which are rare, Puppers may recall an article about them in Real Classic) that was dismantled some 15 years ago, but it has been stated by the powers that be around here that it is to be re-assembled for use as a winter hack.  Hmm, well I know where some of the bits are!

Edited by New Haven Neil
Remove Baker's apostrophe
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

11 hours ago, southern42 said:

I could google it, but I thought it might be more interesting to find out this way.

This battered one on my front step follows the international convention.

image.png.7a7b2c90afd9bb6b3df45ec29eebb5f9.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

It's fine and bright now but should rain this afternoon.

I've worked out why I got fed up and full of moans yesterday.  Although I am not diabetic I do know that too much sugar has a bad efect on me, I sleep less well and get easily bothered and upset.  So guess what Ive been eating recently - a rich chocolate birthday cake, "posh biscuits" and so on.  

I will now go back to my usual boring diet of ordinary biscuits, very basic cake (if any) and also less pork pie, sausage and certain other foods.  Then my gut will be happier, so will I.

Meanwhile I am just not looking at the news web sites.

In a few minutes I am off to church, after that it will depend on if and when the cloud and later rain arrives.

David 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, southern42 said:

and it is "all down to one gene" (pbs.org) it seems.

I wil check out French snails a week on Saturday. One of our neighbours has collected some 4000 of them from her large garden and they are being fed on flour to make them taste better.  I'm looking forward to the event. 

Here it is warm.  But before it got too warm four more pillars on the swimming pool were checked out for wasp nests. None found.  My next task is to put the hot tub up.  These tasks are all due to the arrival of a small pink terrorist ©Dave Hunt,  and her mums next week.  The operational order is growing each day. 

This evening we are going to a concert in the church in Aulnay. The singers are a Children's choir from Greece. It should be good. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Only four more days of the Lympics....

Sunday evening can't come soon enough!

Don't  be like that, you might still beat France.

LIke at Agincourt .....and Waterloo... and that one that had those  sailing ships in it.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

AhA!   See, I KNEW someone would eventually drag  out the "Most Gold Medals per capita" argument.

Thank you, Guardian Australia:

At the end of 12 days of competition, Australia’s Olympians have won 18 gold medals, 12 silver and 11 bronze. That trails only the USA and China on the medal tally, and is five golds clear of France in fourth place. Great Britain, South Korea and Japan are one gold further back with 12 apiece.

Among these nations, Australia is easily leading the alternative, per-capita standings, with one gold medal for approximately every 1.5m people, compared with 12m for the USA and 56m for China.

However, smaller nations including Ireland, Dominica and Saint Lucia are ahead of Australia on the gold-medals-per-capita basis. Three days ago, Thea LaFond won the triple jump to give Dominica – population 73,000 – its first Olympic medal.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull start to the day, but at least it’s dry, for now. Sheila decided not to go to her Zumba class today, she said she couldn’t be @rsed and had a few things that needed to get done. I’ll soon be heading outside to go a bit more gardening. Charlie is due round this afternoon, so I’ve an afternoon in the workshop to look forward to as well. 

Back later. 

Brian. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Isn't that the one that also 'rattles' so much that it makes the crew sick?

I think they solved it by fitting thicker seat cushions and better hearing protection. Or alternatively they didn't fix it but put in enough mitigation measures to (hopefully) avoid legal action down the line.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

And a damp one it is too. So I was not an ER today. Though after having to get up at the crack of dawn and watch the sparrows yawning earlier this week, I was ready for a lie in. A few indoor jobs beckon, filling, sanding and painting. Also a little of the latter to do on my plank, tidying up the edges. 

I too have not been looking much at news sites for the obvious reasons but did spot https://www.theguardian.com/food/article/2024/aug/07/how-to-make-strawberry-jam-recipe-felicity-cloake - jam making is traditionally a good way to handle a glut of fruit. It's not for everyone - I know the sugar content can cause issues for some - and while I don't have that particular problem, large quantities of jam does tend to 'loosen things a bit' in my bowel. So I do exercise moderation. Usually when I have it, it's as a component in Bakewell tart. 

Depending on the weather, a walk may be had later, I've had to stay in a bit so far for various tradesmen to do their things. A lunchtime grocery delivery is due - I actually had to order some tea for the first time in years, stocks have been depleted to Mother Hubbard levels by keeping the workers topped up. Anyway, as someone else might say, time to getamoveon... 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning

Looks like the Tarmacing team have turned up.    Slowly, slowly, catchy, monkey!

TTFN

• Like 15

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

50 years later the replacement for Scorpion is 4 or 5x heavier, that's progress🫣🤣

IF you've ever got a spare  hour and 3 quarters, the movie "Pentagon Wars" (its on youtube) covers in a blackly humorous way the transition of the original concept of the Bradley fighting vehicle from lightweight recon vehicle to heavy gunned tank as the scope changed through more and more input from higher ups and congress.

A little bit  Catch 22, a little bit The Men Who Stare At Goats.

Stars that bloke from Cheers and Frasier.

Can't vouch for its historical accuracy but its a fun watch.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Not a lot happening here today. Which, to be honest, is normal for this part of the world. It isn’t very sunny but it is pleasantly warm. 
We went to Enfield yesterday to see MiL. Her memory problems are getting worse. Her long term recall which was excellent is becoming noticeably worse. Her recent overnight stay in hospital wasn’t caused by a fall but more of a collapse and irregular heartbeat. She is convinced no one visits or phones her. She has had loads of visits recently, her grandson and his new baby visited everyday for nearly a fortnight until a week ago while they were in Enfield. She did then remember the baby. I turned her mobile on and there were over a hundred missed calls . Within minutes there was a call from one of her friends in Nottingham. She says she can’t be bothered to learn anything new like using her phone. But she has until recently been using it. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

but this was where I was at 12.20 am this morning...

Research for a new layout?

• Like 12

It was fifty five years ago today... that John, Paul, George and Ringo walked over the zebra crossing  close to EMI studios in Abbey Road for the cover of the LP they were working on...

ABBEYROAD85a.jpg.f6603963a52f6b7930ec8cef600a6b0b.jpg

ABBEYROAD220.jpg.cf793d36b8fbc8b1ca99f95c2268bdf6.jpg

ABBEYROAD34f1f.jpg.bead72c5c57c945e3fb575331a42838d.jpg

AbbeyRoad8thAugust1969.jpg.b509cfedcea56bfddddc36d5525ef08d.jpg

ABBEYROAD22d.jpg.13a2156cda213ad65c02bff9ea0a3b46.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Apologies for the content of the picture, but this was where I was at 12.20 am this morning...

P1750447.JPG

My oh my, that fell out of the ugly tree.  Mind you, they did drop one unloading it from a ship to see if it made it any nicer to look at.  Failed. What on earth happened to 'industrial design'?

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

My oh my, that fell out of the ugly tree.  Mind you, they did drop one unloading it from a ship to see if it made it any nicer to look at.  Failed. What on earth happened to 'industrial design'?

Haven't you heard?   It's from the Ugly School where nothing follows function.   

Let's hope they got the function bit right then!

• Funny 12