The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

White Rabbits!

The rabbits are still brown and dry here.

We hare to be flirting with a century of Fahrenheits tomorrow (38°C in 'new money', though the forecast is more precisely 37°C).  Same on Friday. Nothing below 30°C for the week ahead.

My last electricity bill almost doubled. We were close to setting a record for the hottest July on record.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Steak and bacon pie - a rare treat. Unobtainium here - though I do know of a food truck in central Oregon that offers a good facsimile.

Subway do a steak and bacon sandwich. Not in the same class as a pie, I know, but the flavours are there.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

One food delight than you can't get nowadays is proper chips fried in beef dripping.

Go to Beamish Museum....

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

White Yorkshire Day Rabbits!

Complete with a present from the other side of the hills..  Manchester Rain.. pah!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Time for muggacoffee number 2, while trying to order a replacement tablet.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Complete with a present from the other sidebof the hills..  Manchester Rain.. pah!

Baz

Forgot it was Yorkshire Day.

As I'm in York, I'll wear my red rose lapel badge with pride today...

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

52 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ouch, you've just outed Bear as having been inside a Gastropub.  Spiteful....

The truth hurts, doesn’t it.

50 minutes ago, polybear said:

Whilst Bears recommendations would depend on how good it tastes and whether or not they forgot the cream....

Two points:

1. apart from the stuff they flog to stranieri ignorante, food in Italy varies from good to superb (though it might not be to your taste - which is another discussion).
  2. your second comment justly condemns you to all the crappy, overpriced, “tourist menu” food they can offload on you…
43 minutes ago, Hroth said:

* @iL Dottore  Any suggestions on how to cook the white rabbits from your knowlegable taxi driver? 🤔

Rabbit? Hmm, I think that taxi driver would have recommended Coniglio alla Cacciatora (rabbit hunter’s style: rabbit, extra virgin olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, red wine, stock, parsley.[note: NO tomatoes]) a dish from Northern Lazio.

Rabbit, like Hare (and most game really) can be a bit tricky to cook as it is a very lean meat with almost no fat content (fat keeps meat moist and adds flavour), which is why most recipes involve cooking the beast with a source of fat (often bacon lardons) and in liquid (often a combination of wine and tomatoes).

On the rare occasion I can get wild rabbit, Hare or Wild Boar, I turn the meat into a ragú following one or another Northern Italian recipe (so a Tuscan, Emilia-Romagna or Lombardy recipe)

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Duck fat - à la frites Belges.

Mmmm!

And on the same lines: Goose fat roasted potatoes.

Proper crunchy on the outside, fluffy inside.

Amazing and moreish (and so good that they tempt me to take less beef in order to make more space on the plate for the goose fat roasted potatoes – which is a big deal as I’m almost an obligate carnivore!).

Once tasted, you’ll never want to go back to frozen “roast” potatoes again.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a land where it is allegedly going to be 5 degrees cooler today.  The pool had got up to 34° yesterday.  

This morning I'm taking Beth to Physio then for an Xray on her foot to try and find the source of severe pain.  Not a lot else on the agenda. 

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Complete with a present from the other side of the hills..  Manchester Rain.. pah!

Baz

When I said good morning to my lovely assistant Alexa she replied Ey Up.

And a have a good Yorkshire day those that either reside /  from there.

I will be Spooning it in Hamphire today.

Whne I was speaking to next doors friend who have come to satay with her for a month to avoid the SPanish heat, he told me that he is from MIddlesborough and said the town has gone downhill a lot. So it wasnt just us who thought that when we walked through the town last Saturday to the only Wetherspoons left. The one near the station was sold noy long ago and still looks like a Spoons inside and out.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

One food delight than you can't get nowadays is proper chips fried in beef dripping.

Have a holiday in Sunny Hunny. Henry’s of Hunstanton serves chips,are fried with beef dripping. They will supply vegetable oil cooked chips by request. To be honest I think I prefer the vegetable oil fried ones. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a somewhat dull rock, but still, dry and 18c.  Weather radar shows considerable precipitation over north-east UK, (my old neck of the woods) so I shouldn't complain.

After brekky a foray up into beamland is on the cards, tidy up for someone to look at the flue, as the metal plate that takes it through the tiled roof has sprung a leak when it rains in a particular way, and having crawled in there to take a look appears the original fitters have made rather a bodge of it.  As this was many years ago there's no point in calling them back.  It is in a poor position for me to get to physically, which is why I didn't previously realise what a crepe job it is.  Pah.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We've had some overnight rain, the garden definitely needed it, but thankfully that’s gone now, from Baz’s post earlier, I suspect it’s moved east! Sheila is currently getting ready for her Zumba class, so as usual, I’ve decamped to the dining room and keeping well out of the way. Once I’ve dropped her off at the church hall, I’ll call at the pharmacy to pick up Sheila’s prescription then it’s back home. I was hoping to get some work done in the garden, but my back is giving me a bit of pain, so I’m going to take it easy instead. It started yesterday afternoon, but I didn’t do much at all yesterday, so I don’t know what’s set it off. Anyway, pain killers and rest is the order of the day I think. 

After dinner, Charlie is due to call round, so an afternoon in the workshop is on the cards. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Baz

We do like to share we Manutopean's you know- it's in our nature. Unlike some who reside just a hill away.

Plus you'd only be moaning that your cricket wickets weren't getting enough irrigation if we kept it.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

19 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Have a holiday in Sunny Hunny. Henry’s of Hunstanton serves chips,are fried with beef dripping. They will supply vegetable oil cooked chips by request. To be honest I think I prefer the vegetable oil fried ones. 

That's no accounting for taste.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Go to Beamish Museum....

Baz

That's a long way from Estuary-Land.

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It was in that area where I last had chips fried with beef dripping. What killed off beef dripping for frying was mad cow disease.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Thinking again of food, when I was a student my parents lived in an estate village in Leicestershire.  Depending on the time of year they would sometimes find a brace of pheasants or a rabbit outside the front door in the early evening.  Fortunately they liked rabbit and pheasant.

It has started to rain gently here in the last few minutes,  the forecast is for sun and around 20°C this afternoon, then hotter again tomorrow.

I had quite a good sleep and am now up and ready to face the day (sort of).  Not too much is planned, if it is dry later I may actually get the greenhouse plants done and perhaps have a walk.  I do have a job for the next few days - some friends who live a few streets away are going away for a few days so I wil be looking after their plants and keeping an eye on their house.

Edit  The Beamish museum fish and chips are very good and popular, there can be a queue but they are worth it.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night, 3+3 hours then I had to get up to put the bins out. We had some drizzle early this morning making everything damp and now very muggy but worst of all it has triggered the release of pollen and bought the hay fever on. Time to get ready for the X-ray this afternoon, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, DaveF said:

do have a job for the next few days - some friends who live a few streets away are going away for a few days so I wil be looking after their plants and keeping an eye on their house.

I have been doing a similar task for my neighbours. Over recent years this had also taken in a secretarial role too. Opening their mail and forwarding details of medical appointments to them. I always check first though before opening. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Something which amuses me is in Indonesia some US burger chains apply sticky tape labels to hide the 'ham' in hamburger. ...

It may be incorrect but I've always called them beefburgers. Or beef patties. 

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/313633561523499811/ 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

It may be incorrect but I've always called them beefburgers. Or beef patties. 

Someone I was at university with had started training as a chef (with British Rail) before deciding to study for a degree. He called them cat burgers, apparently an abbreviation of catering burgers .

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

This is because cattle now have to comply with new legislation and are not allowed to drip. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

training as a chef (with British Rail) before deciding to study for a degree. He called them cat burgers, apparently an abbreviation of catering burgers .

BR did have chefs. Time was when you could get a good meal on the right train. And at a few of the main stations. 

In my earlier days with that organisation a part of my responsibility was oversight of the catering outlets at Liverpool Street station. Where we made use of something called “Station Ham”.

I had always thought it originated from pigs. 

• Like 11