The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Ava had to go early today, as she broke her glasses this morning, she took them to the opticians first thing and they ordered new frames for her, she needed to go in this afternoon to get them fitted properly. Still, it was nice seeing her this morning and get the low down on things at their house. 

So, ending up with an unexpected free afternoon, once Ian had picked Ava up, I headed downstairs to the cellar and had a play with my new toy. I’m pleased to say it worked perfectly and the sounds are great. I especially like the sound of the steam reverser when you change direction. 

Guilty pleasures, cakes or anything sweet really, but I also love a pork pie

and a steak pie

and a chicken pie

and a …….. well any kind of pie really. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Rumour has it that A Certain Bear might just have witnessed A Certain Doc have a bowl of Onion Rings for din dins; I don't recall any mention of them being Artisinal Onion Rings either....

Oh @&£@ How could I have forgotten  ONION RINGS. They're up there with Pork Scratchings as a guilty pleasure.

Unfortunately, far too often onion rings are pretty poor quality. The onion rings PB saw me scoff were made in house by the chef at the gastropub we were at. So, yeah pretty much "artisanal" (you don't have to label everything made from scratch as "artisanal")

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh @&£@ How could I have forgotten  ONION RINGS. They're up there with Pork Scratchings as a guilty pleasure.

Unfortunately, far too often onion rings are pretty poor quality. The onion rings PB saw me scoff were made in house by the chef at the gastropub we were at. So, yeah pretty much "artisanal" (you don't have to label everything made from scratch as "artisanal")

Ordinary punters DON'T!

Its the arty-farty foodies that insist on sticking the artis-anal label on stuff that hasn't been taken ready-made from the freezer...

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

Evening All,

Tiring day in Newark due to traffic and the heat.

Speaking of the heat, think it’s causing many frayed tempers from the lowly  discussions on RMWeb all the way up to international politics. 
Goodnight

BTW, Eric’s not my real name.🤫

• Friendly/supportive 18

53 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The onion rings PB saw me scoff were made in house by the chef at the gastropub we were at. So, yeah pretty much "artisanal" (you don't have to label everything made from scratch as "artisanal")

50 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Ordinary punters DON'T!...

Once again, it’s so easy to take advantage of the average Brits lack of culinary knowledge to fleece the unknowing and forment inverse snobbery. “Artisanal” like “Nouvelle Cuisine” refers to something very specific. In the case of Artisanal it refers to small batch production made using traditional techniques and traditional ingredients of high quality. But in the UK such labels are slapped on with cheerful abandon - whether or not appropriate. And most of the punters don't (or wouldn’t) know the difference.

51 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its the arty-farty foodies that insist on sticking the artis-anal label on stuff that hasn't been taken ready-made from the freezer...

That’s such a British statement that reeks of inverse snobbery.

Understanding of, and appreciation of, what good food IS is part of the culture in many, many, countries outside of the Anglosphere and transcends social status, income and class. In countries like Spain, Italy, France, Singapore, China, Japan (and many other countries), food is THE social lubricant (not booze, like in Britain) and everyone has an opinion on who makes the best “X” and they have the knowledge to be able to articulate why their choice is the best.

One one trip from Fiumicino Airport into the centre of Rome, I had an amiable and informed chat with the taxi driver as to which restaurant in Rome made the best spaghetti alla carbonata, his recommendations were based on the origin and quality of the guanciale, the provenance and quality of the eggs and the skill of the chef. All things many Brits would dismiss as arty-farty foody nonsense. Though I suspect anyone telling that most emphatically working class taxi driver that he’s an arty-farty foodie would be a recipient of a punch up the conk.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I must admit to liking fried spam and spam fritters. Spam (I should probably say tinned luncheon meat) is a major food in the Republic of Korea, they eat loads of the stuff and it's a major ingredient in many dishes. They do spam fries which are great. The 'premium' luncheon meat brands sold here are Korean and it is good stuff. Being popular in the RoK means its popular here too as Korean culture is everywhere here. They like it in Indonesia too, especially fritters.

On onion rings I love onion rings which are battered onion rings. Which should be a statement of the obvious but a lot of onion rings seem to have a mushy 'stuff' where the onion should be, and the batter is something I'd not describe as batter.

I also love fresh bread. Not necessarily artisanal bread, but just bread baked freshly at home or by a bakery, over here I tend to go for Vietnamese bakers as their baguette bread is superb.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Something which amuses me is in Indonesia some US burger chains apply sticky tape labels to hide the 'ham' in hamburger. A lot of the corporate image materials must come from the US (or possibly Australia or Europe), it may be obvious to us (though in fairness I've encountered plenty of people in Europe and the US who think the ham refers to pork....) but I do get that in a majority Muslim population country it's a lot easier to just not get into that argument and to try and avoid being put on the defensive if religious types decide your burgers are haram.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

18 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I do get that in a majority Muslim population country it's a lot easier to just not get into that argument and to try and avoid being put on the defensive if religious types decide your burgers are haram.

I'm surprised they don't just market them as beefburgers - even if the term is silly. Unless it is some processed patty*, non-beef "burgers" are almost always called sandwiches in most US chains - chicken sandwich, steak sandwich, fish sandwich, etc. Unless it's a hot dog (which of course is a sandwich).

* Like a 'salmon burger' using some processed patty that is almost entirely unlike actual salmon. Grilled salmon on a bun would be a salmon sandwich.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

So what is your culinary Achilles heel?

Do tell!

Bourbon barrel-aged stout.

Steak and bacon pie - a rare treat. Unobtainium here - though I do know of a food truck in central Oregon that offers a good facsimile.

9 hours ago, DaveF said:

Fish and chips

Yes, fish and chips. Yum. Even what is available here - without trekking to the Frying Scotsman's food cart.

Baha-style fish tacos.

Tacos al pastor. 

It's a long list if I'm honest.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Ouch, you've just outed Bear as having been inside a Gastropub.  Spiteful....

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ordinary punters DON'T!

Or tell you it hasn't, when in reality it came from the Aldi equivalent of the nearest food wholesaler.

• Like 11
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

One one trip from Fiumicino Airport into the centre of Rome, I had an amiable and informed chat with the taxi driver as to which restaurant in Rome made the best spaghetti alla carbonata, his recommendations were based on the origin and quality of the guanciale, the provenance and quality of the eggs and the skill of the chef. 

Whilst Bears recommendations would depend on how good it tastes and whether or not they forgot the cream....

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Time for the traditional

White Rabbits!

Even if the aforesaid rabbits* are soaking wet.

Yes!  This morning has started with a torrential downpour, which should taper off by 10 am. Then back to more sun, though the rain should clear the air a bit!

* @iL Dottore  Any suggestions on how to cook the white rabbits from your knowlegable taxi driver? 🤔

• Like 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

.....silly o'clock; another warm (and possibly wet) one**

Now running fast is clever n' all that, but this is something else (as well as totally nutz):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/c16j30ny2jlo

ION....

Don't want to be kept in Solitary?  I've a feeling they'll come to regret that decision when they get to The Big Boy's Prison:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cldy01z6xnpo

And I have to admit that this Guy has a pretty good point:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell condemned the move as "a revolting abdication of the government's responsibility to defend America and provide justice".

"The only thing worse than negotiating with terrorists is negotiating with them after they are in custody," he said.

Time to wriggle....

BG

(**Those two terms in the same sentence are kinda worrying......)

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7