The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

. Don't you know who I am.  No I said and I don't care.  He did eventually step back.  It turned out he was a founder member at Crich

Jamie

And what’s that, may I ask? Doesn’t sound particularly impressive or important to me….

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

And what’s that, may I ask? Doesn’t sound particularly impressive or important to me….

A big heritage tram centre: https://www.tramway.co.uk/ - perhaps (crudely) a North Midlands Beamish for trams. It's part based in an old quarry and - when I went quite a few years ago - they'd made a decent job of it, with more added since. If you're into trams, it's generally regarded as a key site/line. Impressive? I thought so last time I went but it's been so long since then that I don't know if it's a place you would appreciate or whether it's succumbed to the trends you dislike in museums. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I have just had a Bing CoPilot alert pop up on my iPad screen “Roger the Elephant’. Bing must have realised we had been in Glasgow recently. 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have just had a Bing CoPilot alert pop up on my iPad screen “Roger the Elephant’. Bing must have realised we had been in Glasgow recently. 

Ambitious.

Its normally "Roger the cabin boy"...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Hroth said:
37 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

“Roger the Elephant’. 

Ambitious.

Its normally "Roger the cabin boy"...

Naughty Naughty.  

I thought exactly the same!!! 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The site is impressive (as per @The White Rabbit post) but what right does it give him to expect preferential treatment? Hate that kind of attitude. If he’d asked politely then…….

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 9
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

The site is impressive (as per @The White Rabbit post) but what right does it give him to expect preferential treatment? Hate that kind of attitude. If he’d asked politely then…….

“I don’t care “ is a reasonable answer and one I would have used but wished I had used one of my prepared but so far unused responses “is your name sewn into,your clothing” , “would you like us to make  a PA announcement for someone to collect you” and so on. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Outside temperature is now 29C. but I have to go out for supplies. Fortunately the car and Tess Coes are air conditioned.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Visitors crossing barriers is annoying but we saw tourists in Iceland ignoring signs ( lots of languages and graphics)  about the hot water oozing and spurting from the ground. 
While we were leaving the ship one day the crew looking after the gangway stopped us while someone in a wheelchair went to the quayside. I felt a,considerable prodding in my back and an older woman was poking me with her walking stick to get a move on. I turned and glared and she stopped. When we got to the bottom of the gangway., Aditi asked why I looked cross and I said some evil old,woman had prodded,me with her stick while we waited at the top. She was just passing us, so I suspect the stick wasn’t that necessary for walking!

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Visitors crossing barriers is annoying but we saw tourists in Iceland ignoring signs ( lots of languages and graphics)  about the hot water oozing and spurting from the ground. 
While we were leaving the ship one day the crew looking after the gangway stopped us while someone in a wheelchair went to the quayside. I felt a,considerable prodding in my back and an older woman was poking me with her walking stick to get a move on. I turned and glared and she stopped. When we got to the bottom of the gangway., Aditi asked why I looked cross and I said some evil old,woman had prodded,me with her stick while we waited at the top. She was just passing us, so I suspect the stick wasn’t that necessary for walking!

That wasn't a walking stick, it was probably a Pokey Stick.  Every home should have one, useful for many purposes.  I don't take ours out though.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, petethemole said:

That wasn't a walking stick, it was probably a Pokey Stick.  Every home should have one, useful for many purposes.  I don't take ours out though.

While travelling I have seen sticks and umbrellas used in attempt to reserve seats in trains and on board ships. Not just a seat for a companion but trying to reserve a large table for two people. I didn’t see anything like that on our recent cruise.  In fact although the ship was full, it never seemed crowded. We took most of our meals,in our assigned restaurant with our reserved table for two but when we ventured up to the food court area (no longer self service) it was never crowded. The only crowd we saw was when we entered the interior ship after a walk round the promenade deck. This was just as the theatre emptied after a lecture. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Crowd not crown!
  • Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Crich was the first Tram museum. Established by enthusiasts who built a lot of it. One of the early volunteers was Brian Jones of the Strolling Bones.  It's now mainly run by paid staff. Sadly some of the remaining older members think rather a lot of themselves. 

It is the National Tramway museum. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon coffee.  Well deserved if I may say so.  

After my efforts before morning coffee (see above) I have then gone on to stain the front door threshold (three coats of "dark walnut"), patch-paint worn white on the front windows, door and porch, repainted the entire back door with two coats of white gloss (Leyland Trade for those playing at home) and am about to shower and change for the watch.  The back door might need a third coat but not today; I need to see how it dries.  It's good glossing weather - warm, breezy, low humidity and zero chance 🤞of precipitation.  

Right.  Time to throw the Gwiwer in the shower then apply the white shirt, black strides and tie and the shiny toe-capped boots.  The latter being a relic of my previous employment but serving very well in a volunteer role where smart appearance after walking up 83 rocky steps high above the sea is expected.  

• Like 17

Think it's now called the Crich Tramway Village - home to the National Tramway Museum. 

I remember when I taught up in Derbyshire, I was asked to help evaluate their education packs. As a result, our school got free tickets for the children to visit. Well, I enjoyed the day out riding up and down on the trams; not sure about the parents who tagged along with us though...

The inside exhibit that I enjoyed most was that of a Glasgow tram, set on an evening on damp cobbles. Very atmospheric. Wonder if it's still there?

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, BR60103 said:

SWMBO has taped (sic) some of the Olympics. Today we watched (well, I was reading) the bicycling through the rocks. The time shut off during the last lap. If I had done that to my bike, my father would have had my hide.

I think your bike was probably not built for those conditions.

More to the point, on Eurosport most sports overrun. For recordings of live transmissions it is mostly sufficient to allow an hour or hour-and-a-bit extension.

Sorry your SWMBO missed the finish, it was exciting. I'd recorded it more in hope than expectation after Tom Pidcock withdrew from the Tour with covid.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Crich was the first Tram museum

I have been twice. The more recent but i estimate mid 1980s as we had a car and had been staying in Nottingham. MIL was annoyed with us for going out instead of dutifully sitting around in her house so she could tell her friends we were visiting. 
The previous time was when I was a teenager with my parents. All I can remember from that day was that it had been wet and the car parking field was a bit soggy. Dad was progressing across it quite steadily when an official stopped him and proceeded to give advice on driving across wet grass.  Of course he had stopped us in a particularly soggy bit and the Ford Corsair was stuck. Dad told the man as he had stopped him he could push! 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I felt a considerable prodding in my back and an older woman was poking me with her walking stick to get a move on. I turned and glared and she stopped. When we got to the bottom of the gangway., Aditi asked why I looked cross and I said some evil old woman had prodded me with her stick while we waited at the top. She was just passing us, so I suspect the stick wasn’t that necessary for walking!

Let's see now....ah yes....

"If you poke me with that fuggin' just stick one more time I'll shove it right up your...."

27 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Think it's now called the Crich Tramway Village - home to the National Tramway Museum. 

I remember when I taught up in Derbyshire, I was asked to help evaluate their education packs. As a result, our school got free tickets for the children to visit. Well, I enjoyed the day out riding up and down on the trams; not sure about the parents who tagged along with us though...

The inside exhibit that I enjoyed most was that of a Glasgow tram, set on an evening on damp cobbles. Very atmospheric. Wonder if it's still there?

When I was last there (over 20 years ago) they were asking visitors to report any little (or big) darlin's "keying" the paintwork on the sides of the Trams, as they'd be having problems.  B'sterds.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Bear here...

A morning of brass wranglin'.  Tick.  At one stage I had a 50-50 chance of putting insulated round things from an East London Town on the correct side.  I failed.....

Then a visit to get the Beary Lug 'oles lowered - at least the place is air-conditioned, it's warm out there.  I even scared myself by going for a Number 3 😱 - for only the second time ever (the first being right before the start of the first lockdown).  It seems to work ok.

BG

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Music was mentioned earlier today.  I'm just finishing listening to the recent Mark Knopfler album,  One Deep River.  I am enjoying it as I read a comic ©Chrisf, that was delivered today.  

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I've kept myself busy today.  I had an enjoyable walk aong the promenade and Links for about 40 minutes before coming home and starting on the garden.  The greenhouse was tidied up, more plants moved around and two poorly succulents removed for further investigation.  After looking at them they went in the bin - I have other plants of the same variety.  That means I have just about enough room to pot up and dispaly the ones I bought last week.

Then I dead headed and removed dead bits around the back garden, the wheelie bin is now full for tomorrow's collection.

After coffee I made a start on the cupboard under the sink, it is now clean and tidy, a few things have gone in the bin and other items are back in the garage where they really belong.  While putting things in the garage I found another box with several hundred family photos which I hand't scanned.  Fortunately the vast majority were prints from Mum and Dad's slides and digital images so the prints went in the bin as I have digital copies.  There remained prints of some of my cousins and their families, I decided that as I never see them one print for each cousin would be sufficient.  That was quickly done by photographing them with my mobile phone.  There is no need to send them copies as they originally came from their mother so they should have copies.

That took until after lunch, then I worked on some photos I've taken recently.

I've had two spam phone calls, one supposedly from Easy Life and one offering me a subscription to "Purse Offers" which the caller tried to tell me was a magazine devoted to special offers.  That was when I put the phone down.  I also had a spam text pretending to be from Evri about a mis addressed parecl they were trying to deliver to me.  If the spelling had been better and if the text had come from Evri not a mobile number I might have actually read it properly.

I've also had a phone call from a friend asking if I know who has bought the house along the road where a SOLD sign went up yesteday.  The present resident will be no loss, she has very "yappy" dogs, I sometimes think she encourages them.

I think this evening will involve a glass of cool white wine and a good book.

s20240730_095733.jpg.2ed9a6fa291d687cc63199c4eb8b9aa3.jpg

Beach from the Links

s20240730_100228.jpg.ff95a95743b4067a9fda2aa98aa2223c.jpg

From the Links

s20240730_095930.jpg.fa3ab1fb04219ffd9128ccf1cbddb985.jpg

Harebells

s20240730_103626.jpg.135f10c64ee5d3e8f6fd236c73d1edc8.jpg

Moth on my shoe.  It stayed there while I was working in the garden for about 15 minutes.

David

PS RMweb is misbehaving again, it would not upload 2 files first time, then it duplicated them when I actually posted.  I think it is right now.

D.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, polybear said:

I had a 50-50 chance of putting insulated round things from an East London Town on the correct side.

I would recommend a multimeter but actually I have learned that putting insulated wotsits on both sides is better. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I would recommend a multimeter but actually I have learned that putting insulated wotsits on both sides is better. 

I can spot insulated & live by eye - but remembered when it was too late that the insulated wotsits were to go on the side with the chassis spring detail modified to allow easier installation of the pickups....

I like the idea of live wotsits as it simplifies the pickups needed. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8