The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Snap.

They're weird. If you try an upload again and that posts, the failed upload either shows up at the bottom of the original post or are persistent in the editor for your next post. All fixable - but irritating. Less annoying than the 504.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO has taped (sic) some of the Olympics. Today we watched (well, I was reading) the bicycling through the rocks. The time shut off during the last lap. If I had done that to my bike, my father would have had my hide.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Morning All,

Not seen any of the Olympics so far but having said that since the end of the Euros I’ve only watched the tv twice and that was to watch the F1. As a rule the tv only comes on if either of us wants to watch something spectacular and can’t remember when swmbo lasted watched anything. Winter is a bit diff and we may watch a film or so.

Didn’t do much yesterday BUT took some items out of the shed and put them on the end of the drive. No takers but I think if they still there in a couple of days then they are fodder for the dump it / recycling Centre. Also gave a few bit to a neighbor.  I’m getting there slowly.

• Like 18

6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ooohhhh yeah. Now, we turn off the water pump when we go to bed, the loo water works on a different circuit in our camper!

Yeah but this was during the day - and still need the pump for hand washing

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

It seems the BBC could not afford the asking price. Warner Brothers Discovery Plus and Eurosport channels paid £1.1bn and so the BBC is limited to one TV channel and one on-line broadcast. Details in link below

https://talksport.com/olympics/1982865/bbc-olympics-paris-free-stream-discovery/

image.png.da56206bd14926a07e69233a19b9e795.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

At this time some people ate early risers but I’m still trying to go to sleep. 
Goodnight.

Were they that hungry?

• Funny 12

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

I see there's no improvement in sight for this flaming forum with yet more upload failures and of course the ongoing "The Community is Temporarily Unavailable".   

image.png.b77d41edd0471c0d494e1ff964362a60.png

Still, it's good to know it's not a system problem 😉…..

As they say in the Deep South…

Hush yo mouf, boy!

It has been OFFICIALLY announced that it’s not the fault of the system. Who are we, with our myriad computer systems and softwares - from BBC Micros to a state-of-the-art Brentford BF860 AMD Threadripper TRX50s - to question this?

I certainly don’t have this problem*. Time to move up from clockwork, perhaps? 😂

…. that I'm paying nearly £60/year for the pleasure of using .....

How Much? 😳

Holy Moly, that’s made me come over all PolyBear.🤣

Do you know how many artisanal pork pies made from rare-breed, high animal welfare, piggies you can get for that sum? 😳

* at least I don’t on my company computer - which is running a whole bunch of security and fail-safe software, the best ad-blocker out there, accessing the web via a VPN [my iPad? Another story…..]

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Tiger(4)Small.JPG.283d4c58eac4b07bb8bf506929ebcda2.JPG

I have thought about re-finishing it in the past, either in RAF Camo or the classic red and silver of the de Havilland School of Flying (at Hatfield don't you know) as I love both schemes.  But then I think to myself this scheme is the one chosen by John, my late mate, who made such a good job of this his first scale model so perhaps I should just leave well alone as a tribute to him.  

Bear's thoughts entirely - John certainly made a lovely job of building that Tiggy.

Besides, red/camo Tiger Moths are ten-a-penny.

ION

I see there's no improvement in sight for this flaming forum with yet more upload failures and of course the ongoing "The Community is Temporarily Unavailable".   

image.png.b77d41edd0471c0d494e1ff964362a60.png

Bear *may* have had a fix ....have I mentioned that?  😉

Still, it's good to know it's not a system problem 😉 that I'm paying nearly £60/year for the pleasure of using .....

Bear isn't - and is unlikely to after the treatment a certain fellow ER'er received a while back following a most informative (and accurate) post regarding metal fairies............

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

Wot?   No shed?    Asking for a friend.

Ah, but that comes under the heading of "Garden Landscaping"....

GARDEN.docx

7 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Someone mention a shed?

P1720338.JPG

Now if Bear had one of those in the back garden.....

....I could REALLY p1ss off NNND.......

Let's see now....fire up the engines every Saturday & Sunday mornings at 5am....

Oh yes, and test the horns at random during the week.

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Yeah but this was during the day - and still need the pump for hand washing

Is the shower valve a lever?  Rig up some sort of mechanical lock - even a releasable/re-usable ty-wrap?

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

On sheds - wonder what the insurance position would be if it was a shed housing our type of stuff.

"Car crashes into garden shed"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce93ryye6xgo

Claim off the car insurance; if a layout is damaged then it'll be the cost of professional repair** (not cheap).  I'd suggest the Legal Expenses add-on to Policies is a good idea in such circumstances.

**The builder of the rather excellent (and much-missed) exhibition layout "Maindee East" had cause to invoke such a repair when it was damaged following a road accident; unfortunately he lost his mojo with the layout after that as he felt it wasn't "his" any longer.  A Cunning Bear did suggest (too late, sadly) that if the repairer had quoted & charged for the repair then sub-contracted the work back to the original builder (with an appropriate exchange of tokens accordingly) then it would've been a win-win situation.....

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Up at fairly silly o'clock (half five); today sees Bear definitely  doing some brass wranglin' today - hopefully with the aim of getting a running chuff chuff (though bits representing slowing-down mechanisms will no doubt be absent until I'm sure all is well).

Ollimpiks?  Nope - especially after I learned that a child rapist** was being allowed to compete 🤬 

I'll watch the odd clip here & there if I find it dead clever (skateboarding, for example) or if a Brit gets a medal - but even then it's at random.

(**Sentenced to a mere FOUR YEARS - and even then got early release......)

You may detect a Rant, sorry, RANT there.)

Time to wriggle...

BG

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'm listening to the old Who album Quadrophenia. The original,  not the film soundtrack, it's always been a favourite, when I was about 11 my brother bought me the LP, which was tremendous. Not only the music, but the double LP came with a photo album linked to the story told by the album. I wouldn't call myself a Who fan as such, and was never enthused by the Daltrey/Townshend come back but at their best they were great. 

Yes that is an excellent album.  I bought it when I was at Huddersfield Poly and still have it.  Two immortal lines from it. 

Fried egg makes me sick first thing in a morning. 

Out of my brain on the 5.15.

The film isn't bad either. 

I also like the predecessor to Tommy, A quick one 

Anyway good moaning from a warm and getting roast Charente.  Yesterday afternoon we partially shut the living room shutters and did nothing all afternoon as it was 38 outside.  36 forecast for today.  Shopping this morning. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

I havecwatchedbodd bitsnof the Olympics..  4 boxers for GB have boxed..  Two have lost on very dubious decisions.

Tried watching a bit of the hundred.. what a pile of carp!

I see the UK is back to being run by the civil servant bean counters.. not good...

Today involves a toddle up to Masham for the Beast, a bit of umpiring of 22 over 60 year olds (which can be difficult) and a nice cricket tea. Wooppppiiiiddddooo!

Could be one or both breweries are brewing on this visit.. (the smell, if they are, is lovely!).

Time to finish my tea and start to get ready for the day.

Enjoy whatever you do today!

Baz

• Like 16

MAXIMUM R&B

image.jpeg.7d402ee5da555a8f32cf68b02e8c8185.jpeg

The one band I always wanted to see and never managed to.

Of course, The Who did have some duff and dud songs – with the amount of music written by Pete Townshend not everything could be Pinball Wizard or Won’t Get Fooled Again quality.  And whilst I enjoyed Quadrophenia, I still think it wasn’t as good as the earlier album, Who’s Next. Won’t Get Fooled Again has to be the anthem for ERs of a certain age. Who can forget Roger Daltrey’s primal scream of rage after the synth solo in Won’t Get Fooled Again as Pete Townshend slides across the stage on his knees before Roger howls “meet the new boss, same as the old boss

And they did some pretty damn good covers of other peoples material. Their cover of Summertime Blues has never been surpassed. Equally good were their covers of Mose Allison’is Young Man’s Blues, and of Johnny Kidd & the Pirates’ Shaking All Over.

Edited by iL Dottore
Added text
  • Like 14

As much as I loved The  Who’s cover of Mose Allison’s Young Man’s Blues, the words are now perhaps not terribly appropriate for ERs of a certain vintage. I now present you with the slightly reworked lyrics of that song I (ahem) “cowrote”(ahem), with Mose:

Old Man’s Blues

Oh, well, an old man
Ain't got nothin' in the world these days

I said a old man
Ain't got nothin' in the world these days

Well, you know in the old days
When an old man was a strong man
All the people, they'd step back
When a old man walked by

But you know, nowadays
It's the young man
He's got all the money
And an old man ain't got nothin' in the world these days

I said
Ain't got nothing
Got sweet nothing

Everybody knows that
Everybody knows that
Everybody knows that an old man ain't got nothin'

Ooh, yeah

Everybody knows that an old man ain't got nothin'
In the old, in the old days

Oh, in the old days
Everybody stepped back when an old man walked by
They stepped back
They stepped back
They stepped back
They stepped far, far back, yeah

Have pity on the old man
They ain't got nothin' in the world these days, I said
They ain't got nothin'!
They got sweet f***-all!

And here’s The Who’ original cover version:

Edited by iL Dottore
Added link
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Another bright morning, again quite fresh.  There seems to be a lot of pollen about, as soon as I opened the door I started sneezing.

The groceries came just after 8, one item went back as I simply cannot eat a whole gammon joint by myself - the gammon steak which I ordered must in short supply.

Sometime I will have a walk, I need to sort out the greenhouse by moving plants round as some are getting a bit crowded - a few too many plants as usual.  Then there is the cupboard under the sink to sort out.

I hear bits of news on the radio about the Olympics.  I haven't taken much interest since Munich in 1972, the year of the terrorist attack.  That was the year when the girl down the road was in the British swimming team, when she came back home we heard a lot about what had happened.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Bravo @iL Dottore

Now what can we come up with for one of my all-time favourite tunes in the general area of music? 

Instantly recognisable to many - though not all know the name nor the band -  as the theme used by the late and very great John Peel for his radio show 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a....#shock#.....  warm 20c rock, and heading upwards.  The temperature that is, I'm off south!

My '3 rail friend' has a delivery to take care of.

ION, Transport Week is here, seemingly we are over-run by grockles jumping out of hedges photographing trains.  Why is it when folk come here they think trespass rules don't apply to them? Mini rant, but I have seen a few silly moves already, one close to getting flattened.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather is bright and sunny, but there’s also a fair bit of cloud cover too. It’s a good job I’ve decided to stay inside today, as my package from Sheffield is now out for delivery, sooooooo looking forward to having a play with that I can tell you. Whilst I’m waiting, I’ve got a little painting job to do on some ladders and railings for my micro layout to do. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all from a beautifully warm Distant (Signal) West.   

As I opened the shutters the warmth flooded into the cottage in a way hitherto unknown this year.  People are out.  There is lively conversation occurring in the streets.  There is a spare seat at the garden table for anyone who might be passing.  

Flowers have been dead-headed, the beds and pots have been weeded, the Enchanted Marigold Forest has been cit back somewhat and the flowering clover mostly taken out.  The lawn has been mowed.  The doorstep has had a new coat of stain applied.  The new gate has been inspected and still requires fine-tune fitting before it receives paint. A long conversation was had with Neighbour (now aged 97) who is as chipper as always despite the recent losses of his wife and his cat.  

And all before morning coffee.  There is plenty of day ahead.  I am on watch later so 16.30 to 20.30 is blocked out.  But there is every possibility of an evening bus ride along the magnificent north coast.  The last open-top trip to St. Ives goes at 20.35 (which is catch-able), reaches Penzance at 22.30 and there's a bus home at 23.20.  You see if I don't!  

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a....#shock#.....  warm 20c rock, and heading upwards.  The temperature that is, I'm off south!

My '3 rail friend' has a delivery to take care of.

ION, Transport Week is here, seemingly we are over-run by grockles jumping out of hedges photographing trains.  Why is it when folk come here they think trespass rules don't apply to them? Mini rant, but I have seen a few silly moves already, one close to getting flattened.

It always happens especially it seems with older members of the hobby who think they are most entitled.  When we were running the horse tram in 2013, an older gentleman ducked under the barriers to the track and got extremely shirty about getting back to the right side. Don't you know who I am.  No I said and I don't care.  He did eventually step back.  It turned out he was a founder member at Crich. 

Jamie

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Temperature is 26C. and climbing to a possible 32C. according to the seaweed twirlers. Too hot already to do anything in the garden though I might spray some more weedkiller on the brambles in the front of the house when it's  a bit cooler.

• Friendly/supportive 11