The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Evening we had dinner with friends and watched "Purple Rain".  None of us had seen it, and it's the 40th anniversary of the film, shot/based in Minneapolis...

Though none of us are true/huge Prince fans, the movie gives a greater appreciation of the title song.

Prince caught a train from Los Angeles Union station to Minneapolis - its in the long intro to his song Cream🙂

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, southern42 said:

After some cooling down measures, I sat on the bed for a power nap listening to some music through the new headphones. I could get used to this!

....ooops! ' morning all from red dragon land.

That was yesterday's....

Wow. That was some power nap.

• Like 9
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, roundhouse said:

To avoid the heat forecast today, I was cutting next doors lawn at 08.30 but it took till gone 10 before I finshed as her friends arrived lastnight from Spain to avoid the heatwave there so ended tlaking with him for quite some time. Hes from Middlesborough  and said the town hads gone downhill which is what we thought when we visted the place on Saturday with a lot of closed down shops. It has a big knife crime problem but then so does nearby (to us) Croydon.

We also visited Saltburn and Redcar that are both very pleasant. Even ended buying a loco from the model shop in Redcar at a good price and very friendly people in there so much so that it delayed my first beer of the day!

Hartlepool was Ok with camerons brewery and adjacent taproom the highlight. However we were impressed with Sunderland after staying there two nights as in the past we have only made brief visits. Two traditional breakfasts and two teas for just over £8 in the Spoons nearest the station was good value considering Premier Inn charge around £13 each these days.

You should have said you were heading this way, I could have waved as you passed.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

"Good morning Tokyo, happy to be seeing you." Crumbs, I still remember the tune and b/w images from 60 years ago on the BBC.

But the coverage of the Olympics this year is carp. Even Mrs K is moaning about it, so it MUST be bad. Too much chat, too little action, too many ads for BBC i-player.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a phone call from the NHS this afternoon, I'm booked in to have my knee X-rayed on Thursday afternoon. It's only taken a month, hopefully it won't be as long before I see the osteopath.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Monday Funnies....

image.png.1f58a5b3b8d07266b3bd767b82581fd3.png

image.png.0b89f91eb8bffc41e7dfe8e8f5748a58.png

image.png.9665a66b6e1ac526e7cf6a417c8eae1f.png

image.png.13f80ab12ebcf3ad64d5c86903da5307.png

image.png.3be8a4138482449b4246830c2fc5a7b3.png

image.png.3f189261eff8bed2e6c9dae03d723709.png

image.png.70fa3c9bb9043662fee8fb81b103b3df.png

image.png.85dbdb3f80db82067585f02a71645af1.png

image.png.44982fc0ec4100c5c34e19808596a08b.png

image.png.8c951f1d5c893bf01fcfb65557e3dc40.png

image.png.15e42930596374ee0feed7f459831a66.png

An old man gets on a bus. There are no seats so he stands and leans on his walking stick for support. The bus brakes suddenly at one stage and he slips. A young man sitting in a seat next to him says, "Hey mister, if you had a rubber on the end of your stick that would not have happened".

The old man replies" If your father had taken the same advice I would have a f*****g seat.

The Sergeant-Major growled at the young soldier: "I didn’t see you at camouflage training this morning."
"Thank you very much, sir."

Not many people know that Henry the Eighth and Rupert the Bear share the same middle name.

And Finally.....

One for @Dave Hunt......

image.png.3fe4b37e9fc09118a4a9a01a7622c733.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's had a house designed....

image.png.d3e82504d3c88ad82dc26efde1da9af7.png

Wot?   No shed?    Asking for a friend.

• Funny 17

5 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I see we have managed to win some golds in the Olympics. Although not as many as the Australians as I am sure @monkeysarefun will delight in pointing out!

We always shine early due to the swimming. 

Sharks jellyfish and crocs have a positive affect on swim speeds.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... I just hope that I’m not unique n this type of stupidity, and there are other people who have done this. No??? Ah well …

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/07/29/postcards-from-the-periphery-2024-02/

Ooohhhh yeah. Now, we turn off the water pump when we go to bed, the loo water works on a different circuit in our camper!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

But the coverage of the Olympics this year is carp. Even Mrs K is moaning about it, so it MUST be bad. Too much chat, too little action, too many ads for BBC i-player.

It seems the BBC could not afford the asking price. Warner Brothers Discovery Plus and Eurosport channels paid £1.1bn and so the BBC is limited to one TV channel and one on-line broadcast. Details in link below

https://talksport.com/olympics/1982865/bbc-olympics-paris-free-stream-discovery/

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Now that England have thrashed the West Indies there's no cricket on BBC4 so they dug out a couple of old documentaries. One was about the archeology of the Norfolk Broads and one was about things that run on parallel metals. FYI they are on I-player for the next four weeks.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Discussions with the shop owner about the small washstand that was for sale were concluded about 11 o’clock this morning, so I set off for Longridge not after. It took a lot longer than expected due to heavy traffic at the junction between the M61 and M6, but I still managed to get to the shop just before 12:30. Cash was parted with and I then called on James and Sophie, for a comfort break, refreshments and a chat. I left theirs at 12:45 and was back home by 13:40, again, delayed at the junction of the M61 and M60 due to heavy traffic. 

After a late dinner, I gave the washstand a clean off and then took it upstairs to our bedroom, where it now resides. Once back downstairs, I got a few things from the workshop, so that I can DO some modelling in the cellar and still be able to answer the door, as Sheila will be at the hairdresser’s in the morning. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Wot?   No shed?    Asking for a friend.

You see it's this sort of blatant discrimination that needs to be stamped down hard on otherwise ...... well we all know what ends don't we.

Disgusted of Shedland, Scotland.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I'm listening to the old Who album Quadrophenia. The original,  not the film soundtrack, it's always been a favourite, when I was about 11 my brother bought me the LP, which was tremendous. Not only the music, but the double LP came with a photo album linked to the story told by the album. I wouldn't call myself a Who fan as such, and was never enthused by the Daltrey/Townshend come back but at their best they were great. 

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 15
  • Agree 3