The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

edit:  On yesterday's wander in Hertford I spotted a Barber that was charging £17 for a Buzz Cut 😲 - and I thought to myself "mine is only twelve quid".  And then today I booked an ear-lowering session for Tuesday....and the 'sterds now want seventeen quid....🤬

I think I might try a No. 3 instead of 4 to make it last a bit longer....

Yep, Rant.

I

Jeez Bear, you really do resent people making a living, don't you.

With the price of everything for a small trader heading ever further skywards (with no sign of price rise stopping), be grateful it hadn't gone up to £25!

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

You are merely asserting your belief in the cultural supremacy of the English over lesser races - an attitude to reflect upon, I suggest.

Eer who you calling a lesser race eh?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

There WAS a little coupe parked at the end of the Ford Prefect section. I wonder if that is what it was?

I rechecked the pics, the best I have is this one, the black car top left.

P1240501.JPG.e3e74e0e0fc50c5aed8fbe094d108c63.JPG

Not sure but it looks to big to be a CX which was one of the smallest cars produced by Ford

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, polybear said:

the Welsh word for Zebra is…..Zebra.  When I queried this with a Welsh work buddy he said it’s because “Welsh is a very old and ancient language - and there aren’t any Zebra’s in Wales”. 

Just as the Welsh for Cappucino is Ffrothi Koffee 

The French may not have their own name for Manchester but the Welsh do - Manceinion. But “Manchester Piccadilly” is “Manceinion Picadilly” and “Portsmouth Harbour” is “Harbŵr Portsmouth”. 

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A very good night last night, five hours plus two hours. Not interrupted by bladder control but I went between the two sleeps anyway as a precaution. If like @polybear or @Erichill16 you are troubled by the wee fairy I would suggest having the prostate checked out. 

I’ve seen my GP regarding the problem and have an enlargement but nothing more serious.

Things are ok but he suggested I take some medication but have tried to manage the condition my self. This was a few years ago so it’s iperhaps time to make another appointment to discuss the matter further.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Big Yanks?

Let's hope that no one from Viz is listening in...

Its Il Detore Saunders and his Double Entendres!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

@Erichill16 Today wasn't a good day to be in York, hot, sticky, crocodiles of tourists following a bloke/blokess with a banner, a gang in the Minster going bonkers on the bells...

Sil has relatives in York and it’s someone’s birthday so that was why the rush to get their.

Being a school teacher she’s off work next week so we anticipate a journey will be made sometime this week but as usual we’ve not been informed if doggy sitting duties will be needed. 
According to younger nephew, age 12, they’re going to Spain at the beginning of August. We’ve not been informed and I know for a fact Syd won’t be going!

Not been to NRM for about five years now but intending to go with a neighbor who I’ve just found out is also interested in things that run on parallel strips of metal. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good evening everyone 

We had a great time in Preston, lovely meal. However, since getting back from Preston, I've been a very naughty boy. I succumbed and took up the offer from the shop in Sheffield of 15% off a noisy D1 4-4-0 in SR green 😁

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

We had a great time in Preston, lovely meal. However, since getting back from Preston, I've been a very naughty boy. I succumbed and took up the offer from the shop N Sheffield of 15% off a noisy D1 4-4-0 in SR green 😁

But in all fairness, I did have permission And it's my birthday next month, so it's an early present. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

With the price of everything for a small trader heading ever further skywards (with no sign of price rise stopping), be grateful it hadn't gone up to £25!

Here’s a position which might be right up @polybear ‘s street (and keep him off here and TNM).

From the BBC website.

The chancellor will also announce a new “Office of Value for Money” aimed at identifying and recommending savings, including in the current financial year, so “poor value spending is cut off before it begins”.

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Did somebody get murdered in a village?

They're all what Amazon calls "cozy murders".  I've no clue whats "cozy" about murder...

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Evening

A chug was chugged to Chrisf Town for a VMCC breakfast.     Very nice chug, a rather indifferent breakfast.   We came back via Great Barford over the lovely bridge* and the Great Ouse was looking somewhat more normal than it did during the "Rainy Season"!

* The video is of a passage over the bridge in the reverse direction a few years ago

Untitled.jpg.f9c8fce17890840d5f133b906ddd7ed1.jpg

The  lock which is about 100 yards downstream on the other side of the bridge normally has a drop of ~7' not the 6" seen in this photograph taken in February! 

GB2.jpg.9fd7ce5d94140122802952f5a119fca4.jpg

GB1.jpg.df9e8d72a9203fdb96fa4ae87a9503c9.jpg

This afternoon I watched a film via YouTube on the Cheapside Hoard, a stash of beautiful 17th Century jewellery unearthed in 1912.  

A very interesting story with an amusing twist for us:

When "Up the Smoke" last Friday we'd bought lunch  in the subterranean Marks & Sparks buried in the "One New Change" Shopping Centre on Cheapside.   The shopping centre sits on the site where the hoard was discovered and the M&S is probably only 20-30 yards away from the exact spot.    At the time we'd never heard of the story as Mrs Puppers learnt of it listening to a Podcast yesterday evening and further research this morning revealed the film.    It seems there was an exhibition of the hoard in the Museum of London but unfortunately we are 10 years too late; it closed in 2014 and now even the Museum of London has gone apparently and it won't be re-incarnated as the London Museum until 2026.   I think that qualifies for a Turdycurses then!

This evening I watched the Belgian Grand Prix, Spa is one of my favourite circuits.  Well, what an exciting race and a twist at the end!

Right, it's bed time.

Night All.

Edited by PupCam
One day this forum will work properly! I'll not be holding my breath.
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

At  the Moorings Awl,

Apologies for spelling, I'm flying blind, I've left the classes in the motorboat.

This moorings pretty photo.

00004IMG_00004_BURST20240729055611.jpg.8ced5c69cc6a0c7c4cdaa685cac2cc2b.jpg

The programme for the week.

IMG_20240729_055850.jpg.ee7de0beb25f763119c24f3d263a519a.jpg

Note, some starts can be sub divided if there are two many boats for the start line.

Had a very good night's sleep, first fell asleep,  book on unmentionsbles residing on chest at about 20:30,  woke skortly after but was out cold again before 21:00 had about 8.5 hours sleep.

Very heavy dew this morning...

Muggacoffee number 1 in consumption, 

Time to wait till buoy launching time.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Ok it was a triple post..

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Double post

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Nice trip to Thirsk..traffic was light.. parked OK..  show was visited (bacon sarnie was excellent!).

Some second hand wagon type items forcoal delivery were purchased. Now regauged for my little view of a place close to my former home.

Numknuts next door was caught photographing our front room yesterday. He is now in hiding.. he may get a gentle word in his ear when I see him next. I am beginning to think he needs some mental help.

Our local airort is Leds Bradford Airport.. aka Yeadon airfield. It is LBA and a busy little place it is too!

Time to wander off in search of a mugatea..

TTFN.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Big Yanks?

Let's hope that no one from Viz is listening in...

Bear Googled that one - and somehow this came up......

image.png.aa6f8e6ef9adc2dd84d8b55ee016474c.png

It's true - the simplest ideas are often the best.....

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Not at all - though an overnight 42% increase would take some justifying in this Bear's Book.  I've noticed recently that the last couple of times I've booked a slot via the website they do seem to be "rather busy" for most of the time - perhaps they're cashing in on that success by taking the p1ss?  Cynical?  Moi?

ION.....

Today's fun starts with the ironing of a couple of pairs of strides (one pair has to be ironed inside-out apparently - so how do you turn them, er, inside-in again without creasing them?) and a couple of shirts.  Yippee.

After that it'll be loading up a new speed cam database to the GPS (never did get it done yesterday...).

And after that I really must get some muddlin' done.....

BG

• Like 5
  • Funny 8