The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not being interested in the limp sticks on the main channels I've been channel hopping. I came across a couple of episodes of Father Brown that I hadn't seen before.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

My paternal grandmother's family was Irish but had a [very] English surname. We cannot be sure but suspect they changed their name when they came to England, whether because of racism or because they were ne'er do wells trying to escape their past. 

A great regret of mine is not changing my surname years ago to Momma Bear's Maiden Name/Grandad's Surname;  getting rid of the B'sterd's name has a certain attraction and I'm sure Momma Bear would've been up for the idea as well - no doubt it would've pleased Grandad a great deal as well.

Doing it now & sorting all the organisations (banks etc.) that have my name would just be a huge PITA, plus Momma Bear & Grandad are now longer around to benefit from it.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

I went to church, today the service was taken by a retired bishop which was different but all went well.

Back home I finished the usual e mails and got lunch.  Then I realised I was tired so sat down.  The next thing I knew was the phone was ringing, it was almost 4 o'clock.  I expect the nap did me good and I hadn't really been going to do much anyway.

I don't think I'll do much for the rest of the day.  The greenhouse plants and tubs need their weekly feed, then I can sit down again.

I need to remember that I must have a  "day off" now and then from rushing about doing things and that I am not quite as young as I was.

David

• Friendly/supportive 17

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Grizz has a digger?  And a SWMBO that can make Cake?

Jeez, you've aced it....

Er it is only a baby digger…

Thinking about writing a book…..

Just as Madonna wrote her book…’In Bed with Madonna’.

Mine is going to be titled…’Gardening with Mdigger’.

IMG_6599.jpeg.5b3089d6e10e0219b0771e241e1a49b2.jpeg

IMG_6600.jpeg.65bb0c465fe3d261056a7682018449ef.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 6

10 hours ago, BoD said:

Nope

So why do English speakers call it Florence? (Serious question by the way. I'm not being facetious.)

Perhaps it is time we stopped.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

They also eat termayters. 

It is toe-mate-oh. Almost exactly the way it is spelled. 

I was taught to put the "r" in: toe-mart-oh, even though there isn't one.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

As I sit here the Berry shield is taking place.

That's rescue boat handling.

Zig zag through 4 buoys 

Go to boat in the middle of the river ( strong tide) stop along side , pick up token .

Go to other side of river, stop deposit token

Return to start without hitting anything

Every thing arrange so speed doesn't help, but precision in boat handling does.

Race 1, the first start was close hauled, the second start 3 minutes later was on the run, and that's how that race went, massive wind shifts not a lot of wind, pure chance if the wind was in your favour with the next shift, came 3rd on the water maybe second overall.

Race two wind sort of settled into a north easterly.

There was a boat sitting behind the line , pulling in the sails as the horn went. I snuck BM between them and the committee boat, as they pulled the sails, they drifted off the inner distance mark, so I put BM through the gap. As we approached the first buoy they had to tack to make the buoy, but BM was on starboard so they had to tack back then BM cleared the buoy and tacked away..

Ok with the other boats being 7% faster on handicap the lead didn't last long , but BM came in third.

Race three, decent wind as the sea breeze had started.

Did almost the same trick on the start line with the same results.

Had a very good race, although 3rd was very close to the lead pair,almost certainly 1st on handicap.

Beautiful sunshine all day..

I've just collected all the buoys for tomorrow's racing 1 to 5 plus X and Y.

5 behind the start / finish line, outside the sailing club , then as you go up river, X, Y, spaced equally ,  1 on the first bend, 2 outside Hoveton little Broad (aka Black Horse Broad), 3 halfway to Dydlers Mill on the 90 degree bend, 4 just before Dydlers mill.

The rescue boat is my taxi to the motor boat for the week, and I put the buoys out in the morning.

Good night Awl

Screenshot_2024-07-28_192050.jpg.67c2900c54b76d1bc81a4deb4a4e550b.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

So why do English speakers call it Florence?

I blame the French.
So, it’s not just the English.

The Germans do funny things too.

Personally I think it’s because the round thing on top of the Duomo* looks like Florence from the Magic Roundabout’s hair. **

* see, we don’t all do it to everything.

** you are correct, probably best to stop this now.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Chicken salad for dinner tonight, and very nice it was too. Watching Countryfile at the moment then I'll watch the test on I-player. Hopefully I can watch it on the TV and free up the computer. 

• Like 13

13 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

My favourite   US car, The 1964 Thunderbird.

Jag style wood and leather interiors leave me cold, in contrast I love the 60's ambience the US cars of that era manage to achieve.

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear is with Chimpy on this one - I rather like Big Yanks too.

When I moved to the US in the mid-1980s, the 'big' car era was over but there were a few hangers on. I had a flight cancelled and was late to arrive at my destination. The only car they had left was a black Cadillac Sedan de Ville

I was a relatively inexperienced driver and it was the largest thing I had ever driven. They do feel different. They float. (Not literally but that's how they feel.) There's a reason they call them "tuna boats".

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The Australian small Fords had a few unique versions and variations. The Prefects had an all steel roof as can be seen in the above photo and they also had the extended boot as per the later Anglias and the (British) Popular. The Ute versions of the Prefect are well known but there was also a panel van version produced in the mid 40's. There was more exclusively Australian passenger car versions produced before the war such as coupe versions of the models Y and CX, the latter is one of my favourites.

Ford (Australia) CX de-luxe coupe

image.png.a9ef8e3df3a5a19c87eb9f391a80239d.png

I want one.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's a growing policy here to rename  areas and landmarks  that are  culturally significant to the indigenous  folk to what they knew them as.

So Ayers Rock is now Uluru, Katherine Gorge is now  Nitmiluk, and so on.

And in southeast Queensland K'gari. (Formerly "Fraser Island" commemorating this act of seamanship.)

Captain James Fraser and his wife, Eliza Fraser, of England, were shipwrecked on the island in 1836. Their ship, the brig Stirling Castle, set sail from Sydney to Singapore with 18 crew and passengers. The ship was holed on coral while travelling through the Great Barrier Reef north of the island. Transferring to two lifeboats, the crew set a course south, attempting to reach the settlement at Moreton Bay (now Brisbane). During this trip in the leaking lifeboats, Captain Fraser's pregnant wife gave birth in water up to her waist; the infant drowned after birth. The Captain's lifeboat began sinking and was soon left behind by the second one, which continued on. The wrecked boat and its crew was beached on what was then known as the Great Sandy Island.

Great Sandy Island is perfectly descriptive in English.

The intrepid Yorkshireman named the northern end of K'gari "Sandy Cape" (prosaically). It is sandy.

image.png.9dabaec320da833c6eabc50817cb7774.png

He also named "Indian Head" - much less salubriously

"a number of the Natives were Assembled" there

The lands that include the current day island have been inhabited from between 5,000 to 50,000 years by the Butchulla people. (Not "Indians".)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Removed picture that failed to load.
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

When we are going to be away for more than 24 hours I shut the water off at the main. There's a valve under the stairs. I also leave a tap open at the lowest sink in the house in case the shutoff isn't 100% effective.

I also shut the water off - though with a bluddygreat tank in the loft feeding the bathroom & upstairs loo it'd make an awful mess; I think in future I'll go into the loft and turn the stop valve off that's fitted to the tank output pipe.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, polybear said:

I also shut the water off - though with a bluddygreat tank in the loft feeding the bathroom & upstairs loo it'd make an awful mess; I think in future I'll go into the loft and turn the stop valve off that's fitted to the tank output pipe.

Tch, tch Bear. Wrong forum again! 😄

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Airport codes can be quite interesting in what they can reveal about naming. Ho Chi Minh City Tan Son Nhat Airport is still SGN, Beijing Capital is still PEK for example.

The IATA codes have an "English"* heritage - English being the lingua franca of aviation and air traffic control.

* The language, not the nation

It goes beyond the colonial names. Famously examples like: ORD - Orchard Field in what was the suburbs outside Chicago, later renamed for Edward (Butch) O'Hare a WW2 naval aviator and recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor.

A really weird one is IAD - Dulles, near DC. Named for John Foster Dulles it originally had the code DIA (Dulles International Airport). Which apparently got confused with DCA* and got reordered to IAD in 1968.

* DCA: DC Airport aka DC national (Ronald Reagan Washington National) formerly Hoover Field.

Years ago my home airport was SNA (John Wayne, Orange County Airport) - at one point Santa Ana Army Airfield.

Then there's the Canadian IATA codes which got saddled with a starting "Y". 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here...

A "stuff" day - including washing & general gumpf; post-din dins included a triple hilly wander (3.6m) + pit stop - the pits is closed after today for a month.  Poo.

Never did get any muddlin' done - or choo choo testing.  Tomorrow.....

edit:  On yesterday's wander in Hertford I spotted a Barber that was charging £17 for a Buzz Cut 😲 - and I thought to myself "mine is only twelve quid".  And then today I booked an ear-lowering session for Tuesday....and the 'sterds now want seventeen quid....🤬

I think I might try a No. 3 instead of 4 to make it last a bit longer....

Yep, Rant.

I also spotted another that was advertising a "Nose Wax" 😱  Buggerthat....

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Wood panelled interiors in  cars are a particularly English thing, and they seem to think its the bees knees, like you are wafting down the A 5 thousand in a medieval manorhouse,  but it actually isn't.

It goes back to traditional coach building and Edwardian motor cars - where people wanted burl walnut and plush leather. Still a thing with European luxury cars too. 

In the US they even put wood on the outside - famously with the 1950's "woodies" station wagons - though not the Grizzwold's family truckster - which was a parody of the fake wood paneling in use by the 1970s.

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

For some reason the high end luxury models of many Asian car manufacturers often have awful wood veneer interiors. They claim it is wood but it tends to be the most plasticky looking wood imaginable. They also have a weird thing for the same effect on steering wheels.

Emulating European luxury marques. There was a lot of fake wood interiors in the US for a long time.

It's fading but still around: This snip is from the current "build" Cadillac page for an Escalade.

image.png.f6e80b9a3fab8ff429840989d02783aa.png

I didn't see a description to say it was actual wood.  Non-conclusive searches suggest it is real. Cadillac used fake wood in the 1970s and 1980s and returned to real wood perhaps in the 1990s.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

40 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Then there's the Canadian IATA codes which got saddled with a starting "Y". 

Some of them are used in regular speech. I would say more than three quarters of the mentions of “Vancouver International Airport” in local media or even just conversations refer to it as “YVR”.

(Edit - even in their own information: https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers)

Edited by pH
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 minutes ago, pH said:

Some of them are used in regular speech. I would say more than three quarters of the mentions of “Vancouver International Airport” in local media or even just conversations refer to it as “YVR”.

"PDX" is often used to refer to "Portland" - not just the airport. Which is curious as it is three syllables instead of two.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

45 minutes ago, polybear said:

Oh Turdycurses....

Don't stop. its like when I am  on a train or in a pub with some mates talking about cars or something. You are one of those old blokes who leans across to interrupt by saying "All this was cabbages   back in my day!" or similar out of the blue.

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In the US they even put wood on the outside

Mmm. Steve Morris' 'Wagon'.........runs 6's.

wagon.jpg.b4f5542ffe1510bd318c9270f9c0fd0e.jpg

it also has 'woody' valve covers.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Ford (Australia) CX de-luxe coupe

image.png.a9ef8e3df3a5a19c87eb9f391a80239d.png

I want one.

There WAS a little coupe parked at the end of the Ford Prefect section. I wonder if that is what it was?

I rechecked the pics, the best I have is this one, the black car top left.

P1240501.JPG.e3e74e0e0fc50c5aed8fbe094d108c63.JPG

• Like 11