The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Where can a Bear buy these.....? 😁

In most supermarkets, (Tess Coe's, Sainsbury's etc.). The best before date is April 2025 so I'll be getting a few supplies in. They are a bit pricey at £3 for a box of four bars but there is a promotion going on at the moment, 25% off. The are made with fruit and nuts with only things such a cocoa powder so they should get the approval of @iL Dottore.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

In most supermarkets, (Tess Coe's, Sainsbury's etc.). The best before date is April 2005 so I'll be getting a few supplies in. They are a bit pricey at £3 for a box of four bars but there is a promotion going on at the moment, 25% off. The are made with fruit and nuts with only things such a cocoa powder so they should get the approval of @iL Dottore.

April 2005???

No wonder you're windy!

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Those involved in the fracas in Leeds were not even British but Roumanian. It was a social services child welfare case and social services requested police back up before they took the child into care. Significantly those arrested were also Roumanian as were the people who helped the police to reduce tension. 

They are part of a Roma group with the local community..I wait to see and hear what happens next.

Baz

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Bear here...

Double Hilly wander wandered; I also discovered that the Pit Lane will be closed ☹️ for Hols for four weeks, starting in a week.  Poo.

ION......

Some total F'wit has just made an offer thru' the 'bay for Harry......£2K.  He's now blocked.

🤣

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Street fair went well,

Second hand stall sold enough to cover costs,

Several people expressed an interest in the club.

Many more were interested in going to our next show.

Also I gave out a lot of radar museum leaflets.

Before going discovered the keys to the " little red driving machine"©Viewer missing before I went, they've come off my keyring, somewhere, had to use swmbo's set..

Big search under way after dindins.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon!

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

VAR, has a bad enough reputation without it having to decide, whether the ball was kicked 0.000000000000001 mm over the line.

8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Which is about 1/500 the diameter or a proton

I've told that Q chap a billion times not to exaggerate!

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Let’s face it a great personal goal would be to kick the bucket owing the taxman a lot of money.

Back in the late '70s just after I became a full and proper member of staff at the GE (Hatfield Division) I was having a discussion with one of my contemporaries when he stated his ambition to die owing £1M.   

I was shocked and disgusted at such a cavalier attitude to financial responsibility as my assumption was  that the ambition should be to die with a worth of £1M.   He explained the error in my logic and the appeal of his.   On reflection I'm sure he was correct!    Right, I've just got to go and organise the finance on a Mclaren F1.

ION

The "2 Stroke day" at the local bike dealers yesterday was followed today by a meeting of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club at "Pure Triumph - Woburn".  I love the irony of that!    That said it was particularly well attended and safe to say that the small cafe was overwhelmed by the demand for solid and liquid refreshment.    Most of the time I was there the queue was 30+ deep so I waited and had coffee at home on my return.  That was good really as it meant I wasn't tempted by the mistress that is the Bacon Bap.  Some fine hardware was on display.  Modesty and accuracy prevents me from claiming a certain small orange thing was "Best in Show" (by some margin🤣)

Woburn.jpg.c8d54d0d48ec4e8786388d39b9f02530.jpg

I suppose I'd better think about dinner but first I think a G&T is in order to celebrate the willpower demonstrated in resisting Mistress Bap.

TTFN

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The MacEnroe Syndrome

Johnny Mac is a *big* fan of electronic line calling. Can't say I blame him.

Far more consistent, with fewer errors than lines-people - and no chance of being DQ'd during a tantrum if a ball or racquet hits one - though they still have to watch out for ball-kids and fans.

Also reduces the tripping hazard with tournaments that insist on putting advertising signage in front of the lines-people's chairs.

With full electronic line calling there are already far fewer (and we will likely see zero) 'official' close call replays in tennis.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

For anyone who'd like to see over the top disputation of tennis line calls, may I suggest Latvia's Jeļena Ostapenko, whose shots are always in and whose competitors' shots are always out.

It's funny.

• Funny 9

We have a (forecasted) change in the weather pattern this morning.

A (small) quantity of raindrops was observed, no doubt happily received by the parched vegetation.

The light has been very strange with a combination of upper level haze and cloud. There is wildfire smoke in the upper atmosphere. Yesterday's heat brought unsettled weather with weak, not very developed, thunderstorms. So I've heard some thunder this morning - which is exceptionally rare here.

Any time the sun reappears, the cast of the light is very yellow. All a little weird but a welcome change.

With the rain, air quality is very good.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

A "right result" on the 'bay - A Certain Bear managed to win a rather special choo choo sorry, chug chug; I suspect @jjb1970 might approve as it came from Ajin in S. Korea.....

The price (whilst not cheap) was a right result as well.  Big Grins all round.  😄

I also managed to flog another item (no, not Harry...) at the same time; recent sales of 7 redundant items have freed up space and more than covered the cost of tonight's acquisition.  I reckon that's worth a Big Tick.

Bear's earlier wander also featured a test of one of the Air Tags - it works rather well; sadly Bear's phone isn't clever enough to use the "Precision Finding" option though ☹️ - it seems you need an iPhone 11 (no longer available - at least from Apple) or above (the cheapest option is an iPhone 13 at six hundred quid - at Apple prices).  Poo.

BG

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its never a dull moment with the US election!

At last - he's done the right thing and hopefully the voters will give credit for it.

I see a certain other person is shouting about "how he took a bullet".  Not willingly he didn't - and stretching the truth somewhat....."

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just been watching the cricket on I-player. The West Indies tail end was Bashired, five wickets fell in the final session. Now to check the rest of RMweb and tackle Farcebook.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, polybear said:

I see a certain other person is shouting about "how he took a bullet".  Not willingly he didn't - and stretching the truth somewhat....."

You know, I think that could all be Fake News and that its all an election ploy.

(Other Fake News is available)

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You know, I think that could all be Fake News and that its all an election ploy.

(Other Fake News is available)

No.

He definitely heard it coming and moved.

Otherwise it would have gone in one ear and out of the other without causing any damage.

Yesterday was spent at an NT property driving their model railway and, as a pleasant side effect, talking to some interesting people and sharing information with others. Today was grandchild ‘sitting’ whilst mammy and daddy had some together time.  Je suis knackered.

@Coombe Barton there are many fascinating volunteering opportunities out there. Their benefits are manifold (and, if necessary, tax deductible).  Just my penny worth.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

and stretching the truth somewhat....."

Also stretching the truth somewhat in his description of his former opponent if media reports are to be believed.  You can find for yourself - there is no need to quote here and the "No Potty-licks" rule remains in play.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5