The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Back from my eye scan test, arrived home 3 minutes after the was supposed to have the test..

There were a lot of no shows, probably because the place they have chosen is very well hidden..

I left early, had the map ready, missed the turning, went on came back and found it.

It was down a muddy pot holed dirt track marked football ground.

The letter sent says in the community centre....

Tiny car park, room for six cars I ended up parked on the grass. The others places were taken by hall staff, the two eye test staff and an ambulance.

1 person in front of me, two dozen seats laid out...

In eye drops out wait 15 minutes, in test out , drove home.

Took the other road out, that turned out to be concrete, for the first section brambles were hitting both sides of the landrover. The second involved an assembly of little bits of road, joining old and new bits of housing estate.

Then on home.

Journey time each way? About 35 minutes for the 11 miles of about 30% single track roads, the rest narrow two way roads.

Oh and on the way back on a single track road blind corner an electrically propelled mountain bike, came hurtling round requiring both of us to lock wheels. Good job I was down to about 15 mph anyway.

Got back, continued with things unmentionable until eyess started seeing double.

Now struggling to read this, that's it ik stuffed for the afternoon, pink pills and bed time till I can see again.

I'll put money on it that if you had de-cycled the cyclist you would have been held responsible.

The number of times I've winced as some cyclist barely missed an oncoming vehicle as they had decided they had right of way is unbelievable.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

p.s. if she has offspring then you’ll have some tasty treats on stock: the Goliath birdeater is an edible spider. The spider is part of the local cuisine in northeastern South America, prepared by singeing off the urticating hairs and roasting it in banana leaves. The flavor has been described as "shrimp-like"

I thought all wild things tasted like chicken.

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BoD said:

I thought all wild things tasted like chicken.

Nowadays its rare to find a chicken that tastes like chicken!

• Agree 8
  • Funny 5

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Nowadays its rare to find a chicken that tastes like chicken!

You can. But they are free-range high animal welfare animals with an appropriate price tag. Free range high animal welfare chickens go for between £11.10 and £15 per kg (according to various online butchers).

The Rolls Royce of chickens are the Poulet De Bresse, which are always free range, high animal welfare animals, these start at about £30 for frozen (1 UK supplier) up to £55 or so for fresh (another UK butcher). The requirements to have a bird certified as an authentic Poulet De Bresse are pretty stringent (and more than just having the right sort of bird). These are the French regulations: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/french-standards-for-raising-bresse-meat-chickens.866299/

Of course, to do all this costs. But for your money you get amazing tasting chicken the added bonus of knowing your meat has been raised and slaughtered humanely - allowing the birds to enjoy the short lives that we let them have.

I'm very much in favour of eating less meat but having better quality and tasting meat from high welfare animals. But somehow I don't think that's going get much traction in the UK - given this sort of thing: https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jul/17/uk-adolescents-get-two-thirds-of-daily-calories-from-upfs-says-survey

The following mantra has never been truer:

1. cheap
  2. high quality
  3. large quantity....... You can only have two

(and not just for food 😮)

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A very grauniad article, but I read it all the way through and found some interesting points, though it did tend to harp on the extremes to make its point.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Like the one that I saw crossing the A1 at Tuxford many years ago. 

The Trampoline is part put up.  A bag of nuts, bolts etc is missing.  The law of sod means that France is now closed to 14.00 so it's muggacoffee then some lunch. 

Jamie

Silly me.  I got through to the helpline who asked me to send an email, detailing the missing parts.  I went out to the site and found a small cardboard box in the bottom of the big trailer that I'd towed everything over from the shed, in. 

Dr visited, pills prescribed for gout then an hour in the 27 degree heat putting the net up.  An ice cream has been had and now I'm going back to do a bit more. 

I do hope that @AndyID is OK and thought towards Dom.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Agree 7

2 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

FiL‘s without suffering now. It still seems so unfair, though.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences.

Mein Mitgefühl gehört Ihnen und Ihrer Familie.

iD

• Like 1
  • Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

HUMP day, and a lost past few days.

Weekend "started" well, and had a very pleasant happy hour here Saturday evening.

Sunday at 1am a severe storm rolled through the Twin Cities area, and took out power for tens of thousands, including us. WE were lucky as power was restored by near noon Sunday. Others however, not so much some enduring power outages in 90F weather into late Monday and even Tuesday. Tons of trees down all over the place making simple trips for comestibles a lot longer than usual.

Cleanup still continuing as we speak and our front and back gardens still covered with twigs, branches and debris seeming continuing to appear after I've clear the mess.

Mrs off to PT this AM, will need to navigate the flotilla of tree removal trucks in the neighborhood. <sigh>

Weather finally getting more "reasonable" today, just 14c and sunny first thing, heading for 23c and no storms or precipitation forecast for now.

That's all for now.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

It's been sunny almost all day.  I spent some time this morning considering a request from an author who would like to use some photos, but I would probably have to choose which ones which is somewhat harder.  I am thinking about it.

Once I'd done that I did some other IT related things, then I made some coffee and went and sat in the garden until it was time to get some lunch. It was very peaceful and I made a start on reading an up to date copy of the Highway Code as I came across some "different" road markings recently, it makes sense now.

While lunch cooked I did some weeding and removed several large dandelions which do not belong in the gravelled area in the front garden.  I don't mind self sown grape hyacinths, small succulents, primulas and perennial geraniums choosing to grow there, but not dandelions.  After lunch I worked on photos yet again.

During the morning I filled in an e consult on the surgery website as I've had a tickly cough for about 5 weeks.  I finished it at 10.25.  I received a text from the surgery at 12.31 giving me an appointment today at 3.50p.m.  I have seen the GP, who is one I know quite well and has given me a through examination, listened to my chest, prodded and poked as needed and listened to both the cough and my description of the symptoms.  The lungs are clear, blood appears to be circulating correctly and carrying the right amount of oxygen. Like me she noticed a tiny red bit at the top of the pharynx.

We have agreed I have a cough with no obvious cause, no phlegm, no fever etc.  She thinks, like me, that it may have been Covid I had last month and this is the by product.  The tickly feeling is exactly where it was the first Covid time back in 2020.  So I have been sent home, told not to worry and hopefully it will go away when it is ready.

I happen to know that she gets the same type of cough as she mentioned it once when she saw Mum and I was there, and she mentioned it again today.

This evening will be the Tour de France highlights and more reading.

David

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, DaveF said:

We have agreed I have a cough with no obvious cause, no phlegm, no fever etc.  She thinks, like me, that it may have been Covid I had last month and this is the by product.  The tickly feeling is exactly where it was the first Covid time back in 2020.  So I have been sent home, told not to worry and hopefully it will go away when it is ready.

Whenever Bear flags up a cough that is taking it's time disappearing I get sent for a chest x-ray first.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Whenever Bear flags up a cough that is taking it's time disappearing I get sent for a chest x-ray first.

I've had almost 1 chest X ray a year for coughs for many years, they always come back as normal so we decided to see if it clears up by itself.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

We're sorry to hear of your loss, Dom.

Sentiments also echoed here 😢

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

FiL‘s without suffering now. It still seems so unfair, though.

Thinking of you and the family, as you said, no more suffering but also somehow unfair ❤️

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

One hopes our resident @polybear will not be adversely affected.

IMG_7256.png.30c7ea70df5ac9d350545a07c6787d23.png

and we need "tech" for this?!?!?!

Seems to me "braining" by people should be enough, but then what do I know, folks over here walk up to buffalo in Jellystone park for a selfie, eejuts!!

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

folks over here walk up to buffalo

That’s because they think they are bison 🤣

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

and we need "tech" for this?!?!?!

Nope.  All you need to do is store the cake away from the people....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Bear here...

Another Warehouse Day....another low-flying donut......

Nottalott to report - just a f'wit-free zone, which has gotta be a Tick.

Bear gone....

• Like 17