The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

50 minutes ago, polybear said:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK..............

Top Points for warning Bear (Chimpies take note......) but a total FAIL for letting it go.  What on earth were you thinking of??  Call yourself a drug dealer - couldn't you have given it an o.d. of something?  Or just plain jumped on the 'sterd.....

Thought about keeping it as a ‘pet’ for protection now that Bully XL are not available. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

43 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Thought about keeping it as a ‘pet’ for protection now that Bully XL are not available. 

Far too small - easily squashable (even for a “fraidy-bear”)

What you need is one of these:

image.jpeg.e2402ca9199c216ebad9cc7adfd8d3c4.jpeg
A Goliath Bird Spider - the biggest spider in the world (mass & body size, but not leg length - that’s the giant huntsman spider). These spiders can have a leg span of up to 30 cm (12 in), a body length of up to 13 cm (5.1 in), and can weigh up to 175 g (6.2 oz).

If you get yourself a female, then you’ll have 15 - 25 years of protection (Females mature in 3–6 years and have an average lifespan of 15 to 25 years).

Give her a daily whipped cream coating and your CAKE stocks will be forever Bear Proof!

p.s. if she has offspring then you’ll have some tasty treats on stock: the Goliath birdeater is an edible spider. The spider is part of the local cuisine in northeastern South America, prepared by singeing off the urticating hairs and roasting it in banana leaves. The flavor has been described as "shrimp-like"

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

15 hours ago, Danemouth said:

I will be honest, I am fed up with the news and it's not going to get any better between:

• The General Election with endless politics for weeks on end, BUT ALL LIFE IS POLITICS, LIKE IT OR NOT
  • The kick-ball and doubtless a postmortem for weeks to come, THE PUNDITS AND PLAYERS HAVE TO JUSTIFY THEIR £££££ SALARIES SOMEHOW
  • Wimbledon, NOT AN ANDY MURRAY FAN?
  • Here in Wales the lead up and resignation today of the First Minister, SURELY A REASON FOR CELEBRATION?
  • Olympics, BUT THINK OF ALL THOSE ATTRACTIVE YOUNG THINGS IN SKIMPY SPORTSWEAR then
  • American Presidential Election AGREED, ‘TIS A PITY THAT THE COLOSSEUM IS NOW BUT A TOURIST ATTRACTION

Yes, I am a grumpy old s0d and totally apathetic where sport is concerned. Also as I have said before "How do you tell if a politician is lying? - their lips are moving".

Please can we have some good news for a change? 😀

Dave

See above

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Thankfully, it’s not raining and the outlook is good for today. This is good news as we’re off to the RHS Tatton flower show today and the plan is to stay until chucking out time. Not a great deal on the shopping list this year, but in past years, when we’ve had no list, we’ve come back with loads of stuff! Still, there are no pockets in shrouds! 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Waiting for new washing machine to arrive, delivery slot 9 - 10 this morning...

I worked out that the old one was probably about 20 years old. It previously needed a door replacement due to dead electronics in the door* and broken interconnect wiring between door and body.  I feel that was the failure mode this time too.  It had also endured a house move so its time was definitely up!

I think that consumer "white goods" now have a design life comparable to modern mass market cars and are expected to be replaced at 10 years at the latest...

( @polybear warning! I expect there will be spiders when the old one is dragged out... )

* I wonder which engineering genius thought that one up?

Edited by Hroth
another thort or two
  • Like 15

2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from a sunny Charente.  No power in the house this morning.  It turned out that the 3 phase circuit breaker had tripped.  Why we don't know.  Fortunately it's stayed on once reset.  Gout has returned to the rear left paw. Off to the Dr's this afternoon.  The next job this morning is to put up a trampoline for use by a certain 5 Yr old in four weeks time. 

The Fangmender was visited yesterday.  I have a broken wisdom tooth with a missing filling.  I now need a panoramic x ray.  

Jamie

Now Jamie when the nice young thing that passes for a radiographer these days, says clench it's your mouth she's talking about. 

Couldn't you set the 5 yr old terrorist the challenge of erecting the trampoline herself, so she can earn her merit badge from Grandpappar.

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I worked out that the old one was probably about 20 years old. It previously needed a door replacement due to dead electronics in the door* and broken interconnect wiring between door and body.  I feel that was the failure mode this time too.  It had also endured a house move so its time was definitely up!

I think that consumer "white goods" now have a design life comparable to modern mass market cars and are expected to be replaced at 10 years at the latest...

It was probably the same genius that decided to make it difficult to repair and also that the cost of parts and time to do it come out as being more expensive than buying a new machine.

• Agree 13

26 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

Thankfully, it’s not raining and the outlook is good for today. This is good news as we’re off to the RHS Tatton flower show today and the plan is to stay until chucking out time. Not a great deal on the shopping list this year, but in past years, when we’ve had no list, we’ve come back with loads of stuff! Still, there are no pockets in shrouds! 

Back later. 

Brian

Hope you have a good time as after this year you'll have three years to wait for the next one- that's assuming they resume what with the new show in Manchester there now doing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

Couldn't get to sleep to start with, then got, 1 hour, 3 hours, 1 hours.

A tiny bit of muddling will occur, then eye test, then the rest of the day in a darkened room unable to see much.

Time to check the map on how to get there. In a sports hall, 3/4 hour away to which there no public transport from here.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Which one is numbered HS4000 please, for my records?

The brown and yellow one 😇

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think you are being rather optimistic with that assertion!      I think it's closer to 13 months ....

11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

It was probably the same genius that decided to make it difficult to repair and also that the cost of parts and time to do it come out as being more expensive than buying a new machine.

Indeed.     I've recounted before the sorry tale of the broken Bosch WM Mazak door hinge.   Typically £10 off of EBay but this model the door is effectively a one-piece unit so you'll have to replace the lot circa £120 and oh yes one of our "engineers" can come and fit it but it'll cost.     They hadn't reckoned on those real engineering types with the knowledge, skill and wherewithal to DIY  😀  

In the same vein, some biking buddies and I were putting the world to rights the other day discussing the current modern concept for "wet belt" cam belts in IC cars.    Unfortunately they seem to have a propensity for shedding fibres and now they are buried in rather than on the end of the engine those fibres congregate around the oil pump filter inlet blocking it up.    The net result is the pump and thus the engine is starved of oil and a very large bill ensues.  I believe the companies were initially denying a problem and of course do everything to not admit liability.     I also believe that Class Action lawsuits are being spoken of as very many unsuspecting owners have been caught out.        What a stupid concept!

IO RUB N

I had a rough count up;  it's well over 30 from 0.7L to 85L(or larger in beamland ?) used for meds, bits of motorcycle, astronomy gear, photos, tools, toys, raw materials, tins of paint, Xmas decorations and  many other items.   

ION

Off for an eye scan this morning so I'd bettergetamoveon!

TTFN

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A fine sunny morning and beginning to get warm, it may reach 20°C by this afternoon and should stay dry.  Luxury!

The new pillow did its job last night underneath one of the ordinary ones, I slept better and the neck is much less painful.   I always sleep with two pillows.  For some reason the cough is less troublsome today.

I have decided that today should be a relaxed day enjoying the fine weather at home, perhaps sitting in the garden for a while and only doing pleasant things like reading, maybe watching the Tour de France this afternoon and so on.

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

( @polybear warning! I expect there will be spiders when the old one is dragged out... )

All done and dusted.

New machine installed and commissioned by 9:45 and the old heap removed.

Now to study the instructions* before loading Mondays interrupted wash**!

ION

Sunny at present, forecast is sunny intervals with light winds, high of 21c.

* In the old days you got a thick instruction booklet. This one has two double-sided pages of A4!

** As the forecast is favourable, I might chuck the towels in too...

Edited by Hroth
ION
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No problems last night but Arthur Itis was going full blast this morning. The high atmospheric pressure is probably the cause, pills have been taken. My washing machine is now 42 years old but still going strong and doing its job. I checked the brambles that I'd sprayed with the new (none-glyphosphate) weed killer and the leaves are turning brown but I gave them another dose. I also noticed that the weed killer had a distinctive chemical sweet smell, acetone? Just had a knock on the door, the postman delivering the expected parcel which I am now unwrapping.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

When the retaining spring on the door of the Miele dishwasher broke (and the “wood” front [actually thin veneer over chipboard] decided it would no longer retain screws, despite me making wooden plugs for new screws), we called in the Miele service people who duly came and examined the dishwasher. The wooden front was not a Miele problem as it was added by the kitchen cabinet people - but for a few gronkits we could get a standard issue Miele dishwasher front (duly ordered and installed).

The technician examined the Miele Dishwasher and made that sucking whistling noise that such people make when confronted by something that’s definitely not standard.

Apparently

• the machine is about 18 years old, the expected life span is 12 years

and

• according to the diagnostics of the onboard computer the machine had completed at least twice the amount of washing cycles usually seen in a machine of that type and vintage

The spring was duly replaced and we expect another 5 - 10 years of service from it (even though that model is no longer produced and even the manufacturer considers it “life expired”).

All of which support two key contentions I have always made:

1. Always buy the very, very , very best example of what you need and hang onto it
  2. Not only get the very very best in class, but also get the simplest model possible (you really don’t need all those bells and whistles appliance manufacturers, and others, try and flog you). Simple, usually means, reliable, and easily repairable!

Paradoxically, often the very, very best models are not the most expensive ones (for example; my new Miele oven - the cheapest in the range of their domestic ovens – is a much, much better oven than their more expensive models. It turns on, reaches the desired temperature relatively quickly, stays at that temperature, seems to have no hot or cold spots and has very few oven settings. And although it does have on-board electronics, as there are no “high tech, cutting edge features” it will be fairly simple to repair or replace).

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The brown and yellow one 😇

Like the one that I saw crossing the A1 at Tuxford many years ago. 

The Trampoline is part put up.  A bag of nuts, bolts etc is missing.  The law of sod means that France is now closed to 14.00 so it's muggacoffee then some lunch. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

When the retaining spring on the door of the Miele dishwasher broke (and the “wood” front [actually thin veneer over chipboard] decided it would no longer retain screws, despite me making wooden plugs for new screws), we called in the Miele service people who duly came and examined the dishwasher. The wooden front was not a Miele problem as it was added by the kitchen cabinet people - but for a few gronkits we could get a standard issue Miele dishwasher front (duly ordered and installed).

The technician examined the Miele Dishwasher and made that sucking whistling noise that such people make when confronted by something that’s definitely not standard.

Apparently

• the machine is about 18 years old, the expected life span is 12 years

and

• according to the diagnostics of the onboard computer the machine had completed at least twice the amount of washing cycles usually seen in a machine of that type and vintage

The spring was duly replaced and we expect another 5 - 10 years of service from it (even though that model is no longer produced and even the manufacturer considers it “life expired”).

All of which support two key contentions I have always made:

1. Always buy the very, very , very best example of what you need and hang onto it
  2. Not only get the very very best in class, but also get the simplest model possible (you really don’t need all those bells and whistles appliance manufacturers, and others, try and flog you). Simple, usually means, reliable, and easily repairable!

Paradoxically, often the very, very best models are not the most expensive ones (for example; my new Miele oven - the cheapest in the range of their domestic ovens – is a much, much better oven than their more expensive models. It turns on, reaches the desired temperature relatively quickly, stays at that temperature, seems to have no hot or cold spots and has very few oven settings. And although it does have on-board electronics, as there are no “high tech, cutting edge features” it will be fairly simple to repair or replace).

The Sam Vimes "Theory of Economic Inequality" at play!

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, BR60103 said:

This morning we had thunderstorm with heavy rain. Not sure, but may have been 40mm. Lasted all morning. Then moved east to Toronto. They may have had 100mm. (tv news doesn't say it slowly and clearly)

Toronto has a river valley with an expressway and an arterial road down it. There were pictures where you could only tell where the road was by the cars showing above the water. One reporter said that it was going down a bit as they could see the door handles appearing.

Also reports of flooding in subway stations and in the lower level of Union Station. Train service completely disorganized. Also one line goes up that river valley.

Further reports of problems where highways go under other highways.

I saw the rapper Drake's mansion in Tron was flooded. He's probably got another one

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

All done and dusted.

New machine installed and commissioned by 9:45 and the old heap removed.

Now to study the instructions* before loading Mondays interrupted wash**!

ION

Sunny at present, forecast is sunny intervals with light winds, high of 21c.

* In the old days you got a thick instruction booklet. This one has two double-sided pages of A4!

** As the forecast is favourable, I might chuck the towels in too...

Aren't you supposed to do 'flushing' wash first? At least that's what I had to do. Mind you it was a few years ago so things might have been 'moderised' since then.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, 45156 said:

Morning All,

Just a quick check in to say that I am still on the road to recovery, still getting the bus everywhere, cos I'm not able to drive - the good news is that the neorology log jam appears to be easing as they are getting cover from another hospital. so I am moving up the list.  I have also now regained all the weight I lost in hospital.

And Sod's law has struck again - having shelled out £500 on hearing aids, I got a letter today with an appointment for an NHS hearing test.  I'll go, and get myself another pair of hearing aids at no cost to use as spares.

Regards to All

Stewaer

Argh yes but at least you'll be able to hear what they say about them.

• Like 11