The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

... So it seems that the problem is possibly platform and browser agnostic.  Does anyone use Windows/Edge, just for comparison? ... 

I did (W11 & Edge) earlier in the year but had problems with Edge (not limited to RMW, they were re the web generally and email as well) so stopped using it. I can't recall whether it was significantly better or worse than issues since with W11 & Chrome. 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning.

Is this "Really Useful Box Anonymous"?     Hello, my name is Alan .....

I've recently inherited from a great but sadly late mate a big box of taps (and to a lesser extent dies) to add to my own modest collection.     They all need a jolly good clean to remove the debris from their last bit of sterling work and then need sorting out. 

To that end, I found myself perusing the website of the big river last night.    A stash of eight 0.7L Really Useful Boxes was ordered at about 22:30.   A £30 gift card I received recently for my birthday eased the checkout process and fortunately the total came to a whisker over £35 which I notice (with some horror!) is now the minimum order for my preferred Cheapskate Free Delivery option.   Short arms, deep pockets?   No, Puppers doesn't have any pockets 🤣

Anyway, I woke to a text saying that the boxes would be delivered today (not bad for free delivery) so each will be suitably annotated; Metric, BA, BSF, BSW, BSC, UNF, UNC etc and filled with the appropriate items when they arrive.    I've sorted out about 2/3rds of the taps so far but I got bored so I'll finish them off later on.   Why is the crucial bit of the very feint markings on taps always the bit that you can't read  whilst markings such as "England", "Presto" etc are clear as day?   The Law of Mr S.Od I suppose.

Am I the only one that thinks a nice stack of Really Useful Boxes is not only a thing of beauty but also a sign of a job well done?    By the way, does anyone know when the next meeting of RUB Anonymous is?

TTFN

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

You've jinxed it well and truly  by saying that. And there's Mr York peddling as fast as he can.

Correct.     When I submitted my post just now it went "Out to lunch" and displayed

image.png.c0a7c4853e183f5b2a5ddaa2d3347e2f.png

Personally I think the Google Tag Manager needs a jolly good talking to as his performance is appalling.   A cut in his salary and removal of his company car at the very least I would have thought.

"Refreshing" the browser (aka by others as giving it a kick up the backside) by giving focus to the address bar and then hitting return just resulted in the usual "The Community is Temporarily Unavailable" message.   

Closing the browser and re-opening the page brought quick results but you shouldn't have to do this!

Edited by PupCam
And this post fell over too when submitted!
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Owing to repeated hangs, time-outs and Community Unavailable messages I am unable to post this message.  

Any content in this post is a figment of your imagination.

Furthermore due to the time it often takes for anything to work on ERs I have given up and gone away from the keyboard altogether because it is no longer early.  

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

The top headline on the lunchtime news was that a failed foot-the-ball manager had resigned. News? It should have been left to rot on the back page...

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

5 hours sleep , looooooong awake , 1 hours sleep.

Heavy rain overnight, forepaws and right ankle not happy about it.

Heavy rain forecast, very dark grey clouds out there.

Heavy lorries going past, some have deposited stuff on the concrete pan , I ain't going to look closer.

Heavy rain arrived

In the meantime some muddling has occurred, the type using jigsaws and screwdrivers, to make something for parallel bits of metal to sit on.

I have 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, screws..

It needs,,,,, 12mm...  Ordered...

An early bath is called for as the house of strong ladies is delivering non unmentionable items, then I go out.

Time for a drink first.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The top headline on the lunchtime news was that a failed foot-the-ball manager had resigned. News? It should have been left to rot on the back page...

Bit jayed and bitter there my good man.

Just be like me never expect them to win so when they don't you don't become all bitter and twisted at being let down again.

Only another eleven more days to go to the Olympics. So the News media - other terms are available have to find something to do, otherwise we'd sus that there a bunch of over payed, jumped up t#shers and where would that end.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Bit jayed and bitter there my good man.

Just be like me never expect them to win so when they don't you don't become all bitter and twisted at being let down again.

What happens to the foot-the-ball manager (Or the team) is neither here nor there to me, just an irrational smidgeon of annoyance that it was deemed important enough to be the top news item!

As for the Olympics....

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

I do not see the importance that others place on football, or any sport.

Why there is the insistence on being victorious at any cost or else, as manager, you fall on your sword, I really cannot fathom.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Typoman
  • Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I will be honest, I am fed up with the news and it's not going to get any better between:

• The General Election with endless politics for weeks on end,
  • The kick-ball and doubtless a postmortem for weeks to come,
  • Wimbledon,
  • Here in Wales the lead up and resignation today of the First Minister,
  • Olympics, then
  • American Presidential Election

Yes, I am a grumpy old s0d and totally apathetic where sport is concerned. Also as I have said before "How do you tell if a politician is lying? - their lips are moving".

Please can we have some good news for a change? 😀

Dave

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

I will be honest, I am fed up with the news and it's not going to get any better between:

• The General Election with endless politics for weeks on end,
  • The kick-ball and doubtless a postmortem for weeks to come,
  • Wimbledon,
  • Here in Wales the lead up and resignation today of the First Minister,
  • Olympics, then
  • American Presidential Election

Yes, I am a grumpy old s0d and totally apathetic where sport is concerned. Also as I have said before "How do you tell if a politician is lying? - their lips are moving".

Dave

My advice is to ignore the news.

Most of it is clickbait, nonsense or tenentious agenda pushing (not that I'm cynical or jaded by it all or anything).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Well my good news is that the bag of Really Useful Boxes turned up at about 1:00pm.

The remaining taps have been cleaned and sorted resulting in:

image.png.1ed3b907289feffd964d647639b35393.png

I've just got to work out where I'm going to keep the boxes now!

ION

"Image Upload Failed" ........   

Once again RMWeb is becoming tiresome to use.      

An emergent property of the RMWeb system for me might be that I will be re-evaluating the benefits of my Gold membership - there's only one way from Gold and it's not up.

It does seem like we are not alone and I reckon it's nothing to do with my browser cache or cookies but what do I know about it?    I suspect not-a-lot!

Example 1 & Example 2

TTFN

Edited by PupCam
Trying to get rid of the now duplicated image
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I do not see the importance that others place on football, or any sport.

Why there is the insistence on being victorious at any cost or else, as manager, you fall on your sword, I really cannot fathom.

Henry VIII is by some accounts reputed to have made unlawful the inflating of a pig's bladder and the kicking of it around for sport; this has never been repealed.

In 2004 we made the chasing and killing of foxes for sport unlawful.

It remains lawful to shoot "game" birds during designated times of year as sport. 

The LACS suggests up to 146,000 pheasants, 38,300 partridges and 5,300 grouse are killed in the name of sport annually in the UK.  

Discuss.  

Henry VIII is also recorded as having regularly endured an enema formed by an inflated pig's bladder holding the liquid and which was squeezed along a greased tube into the required Royal orifice.  I bet that wasn't considered a sport! 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold

Really Useful Boxes are Really Useful for storing things that run on parallel strips of metal too.  Obviously you have to use the larger Boxes!

I also use RUBs for storing my collections of vinyl LPs and singles, CDs and Cassette tapes. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Really Useful Boxes are Really Useful for storing things that run on parallel strips of metal too.  Obviously you have to use the larger Boxes!

I also use RUBs for storing my collections of vinyl LPs and singles, CDs and Cassette tapes. 

Ah, another member of RUBs Anonymous then.   Well done for coming out I say!

• Like 5
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Dave

Bear had a freebie Jam Donut today....and I've got a wedge of LDC to look forward to in a few minutes.  Does that help?

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

For the Couldn't Make It Up book . first picture in the article tells a story .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0krp7gqq4no

Caroline Liggins, representing the defendant, said: "My client strongly protests her innocence and looks forward to fighting these unjust charges in court."

Good - that'll mean she won't be eligible for any reduction in sentence.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, polybear said:

Caroline Liggins, representing the defendant, said: "My client strongly protests her innocence and looks forward to fighting these unjust charges in court."

Good - that'll mean she won't be eligible for any reduction in sentence.

I can't wait to hear the story played out .

My client tripped and unfortunately ......................................

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. No gardening done today, it's still too wet but it's predicted to be hot later in the week. Got to wait in for the postman tomorrow with a parcel containing an unmentionable. 

• Friendly/supportive 12