The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Is it only me or is the forum working like Greased Lightning tonight?   🤔

You've jinxed it well and truly  by saying that. And there's Mr York peddling as fast as he can.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The rain held off until after dinner, so I managed to finish cutting the cross beams for the layout. I also managed to drill and fit adjustable feet to the 30, yes, 30, support legs too. So that’s a huge ✔️ there. The next step will be to start assembling the support framework, then fit the deck for the storage area and begin constructing the helix. 

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Some of you may remember me writing that I am avoiding lactose.  As I like yoghurt I have been trying vegetarian/vegan alternatives, based on soya.

I know someone who makes something called kefir, This is milk that has had the lactose converted to lactic acid using some bacteria. It is available in some supermarkets. I am not sure if it is low lactose or lactose free though. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I know someone who makes something called kefir, This is milk that has had the lactose converted to lactic acid using some bacteria. It is available in some supermarkets. I am not sure if it is low lactose or lactose free though. 

Dr SWMBO uses Kefir in preference to yogurt or cream on cereal or desserts.  She tries to avoid most full-fat foods and has a very mild intolerance to lactose so prefers almond milk in coffee.  It is available in larger branches of Sainsbury's among other outlets.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Our youngest daughter uses Lactase tablets available from Holland and Barrett but wait for the special offers they are expensive otherwise.

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

But it's the same cache and cookies, though.

If not cleared, these are "constant". The performance issues appear random.

(Of course they are not random - we just struggle to observe the trigger condition.)

I can offer that replying to a post, which results in the reply being posted to a later page - particularly if the reply is the first post on a brand new page, will create performance issues more frequently than any other scenario.

(This is an empirical observation.)

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I can offer that replying to a post, which results in the reply being posted to a later page

Which after two minutes of a grey screen with a little wheel spinning resulted in a timeout:

image.png.2f3971498352f6ae8ac0b86c970f9f00.png

I opened a new tab. The forum was immediately available, noting that I was the last poster "two minutes ago".

The old tab was still in "Temporary Server Problem" mode.

My reply above was to comment "5567178" on page 13229. My posts here are on page 13230.

I had no noticeable delays loading and reading multiple pages - until I replied to John's  @Coombe Barton  post.

Subsequent to this post, going back to page 13229 resulted in this for an extended period:

image.png.0b1775f0d3fa02d90b9c983c9611608f.png

Often this can be resolved (which I did) by hitting the enter key in the browser URL panel - that seems to give it a kick up the backside - much like opening a new tab.

Windows + Chrome.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Fixed the link back to John's post. There was a weird persistent ... who cares.
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

My, my, my, what a lot of posts in the 19 hours since I Iast checked in. Whatever could have provoked that response?

99 of them here - if my arithmetic is accurate (I did not use an abacus or fingers and toes, etc.) and another 22 in the lock box that is "Early Risers - Part 2"

Many observations shared and read with interest.

• No problems with Mac+Safari.
  • Problems with Mac+Safari.

I have problems with Windows+Chrome

Opening a new tab *sometimes* is effective.

Clicking on the URL in the browser while "loading" *sometimes* is effective.

Some other suggestions are not effective.

I see performance problems more frequently when (as described above)

• posting a reply to a later page
  • returning to a page I've already visited

I am here on "off-peak" time so my issues are not traffic overload related - unless there are server backups going on in the late evening (US EDT).

EDIT:

And no one mentioned how the last two pages are often duplicated until there is a new post to sort it out.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11

I'm in a bit of a mood. Television is dominated by an event in (the fictional) Laverne and Shirley's (actual) hometown and it's unwatchable, unhelped by the unctuous tone of the pundits who all seem unwilling to criticize the walking wounded and can't seem to stop the effluent twaddle over a bit of gauze.  (To be followed by the latest "Bachelorette" - filmed in Victoria* it appears. Ugh!)

* Not the one in British Colombia.

There is a tennis replay available - first round play on the grass in Newport, RI - but I don't care. I watch have tennis on all the time but didn't even recognize the names of the players on earlier.

I'm at a bit of a loose end.

• Friendly/supportive 16

Watching tennis in Newport always gives me a vibe of archive footage of the Newport Folk Festival from the 1960s. There's some footage I've seen that I would swear is in the tennis stadium. The internet did not oblige.

According to Wikipedia the festival began in Freebody Park, which is across the street from the tennis facility. I'm still convinced that there is something I saw of a folk singer* performing at the tennis club. The low wooden stand is very distinctive.

* No clue who - could have been any of Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Peter Paul and Mary or others. Joni Mitchell and Judy Collins have famous performances at the festival.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning

Currently in Dussledorf after travelling via the tunnel to Leuven then via Liege to Luxembourg and yesterday every single German service from there to Koblenz a quick stop for Kolsch in Cologne and to Dusseldorf was late. Luckily all connections were made. but glad that we didn't pay extra for ICE services.

First bar we arrived into in the centre of Dusseldorf for Altbier a German Boris look a like decided to chat to us. Very strange views of the world in that the US army is based on Italian ways and how all the current troubles are caused by them. England is great but he has not been there. The president of Hungary is also great. We were saved by two Brummie lads arriving back from Berlin but their transport home that day had been cancelled. The Boris look a like started talking to them and they started saying the UK is good at winning wars. We decided to quickly depart to the next good Altbier bar.

Was 28 degrees and very humid yesterday but it rained overnight and should be a much better 20 degrees today. Think that we will stay local to do various S  and U bahn services.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm in a bit of a mood. Television is dominated by an event in (the fictional) Laverne and Shirley's (actual) hometown and it's unwatchable, unhelped by the unctuous tone of the pundits who all seem unwilling to criticize the walking wounded and can't seem to stop the effluent twaddle over a bit of gauze. 

I'm getting rather fed up seeing repeats of the same footage on the news over & over again.  Sadly I think the whole episode will bump his ratings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good moaning. It's sunny here and  harvest is ongoing.  The sunflower fields are about a month late comi g into flower. 

Fangmenders and shopping this morning. 

Ttfn. 

Jamir

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a rock that is still, overcast and 15c, however it is dry.

Mate H coming around this morning to put the world to rights, and shock and horror, I have a cheque from......the Tax Man!!.... for several hundred pounds to deposit!  Whoop!

Other than that, norra lot on the agenda.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Many observations shared and read with interest.

• No problems with Mac+Safari.
  • Problems with Mac+Safari.

I have problems with Windows+Chrome

Just to add my tuppenceworth

• Problems with Windows11 and Firefox
  • Problems with Android 14 and Firefox

So it seems that the problem is possibly platform and browser agnostic.  Does anyone use Windows/Edge, just for comparison?

How about any Linux users, or folk using Raspberry Pi?

Now this post appeared promptly.

As did all my catchup notifications for ER.....

Edited by Hroth
A little bit more...
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Just to add my tuppenceworth

• Problems with Windows11 and Firefox
  • Problems with Android 14 and Firefox

So it seems that the problem is possibly platform and browser agnostic.  Does anyone use Windows/Edge, just for comparison?

How about any Linux users, or folk using Raspberry Pi?

Now this post appeared promptly.

As did all my catchup notifications for ER.....

Bear uses Windows 10 & Edge

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear uses Windows 10 & Edge

And we know you have problemettes too....  🙃

I needn't have run the obnoxious piece of software on my PC!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A dull morning again, the forecast says it isn't raining and it is almost, but not quite, dry.

I woke early at just before 5 feeling as though I was worrying about something but have no idea what, it must have been in a dream. After that I just dozed until I got up before 7.  Since breakfast Asda have delivered the groceries, no substitutes this week.

I'm not sure what I'll do today, if it stays dry I might try some gardening, I might sort out the tool boxes in the garage so I can actually find everything.  I do need to go to the local Boundary Mill outlet to lok for a couple of things they should have - it's barely 15 minutes from home.

As for Early Risers sometimes it opens quickly, other times it doesn't.  If it doesn't open quickly I go away and do something else for a few minutes, usually when I return it has opened.  One thing I find is that threads containing photos at a large file size can take ages for the images to appear, as can those where photos are linked to (say) flickr.  That's why my uploads are resized to between 1,500 and 1,700 pixels across (or vertical) so the file sizes are usually 300 - 500 Kb and load better.  After all a normal monitor cannot display all the pixels in a full size image so it has to be resized by the software to display it.

David

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A wet and miserable start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. Thankfully the overnight rain has stopped, but there’s no chance of doing anything outside today, it’s far too wet. I’m glad I managed to get all my cutting done yesterday! Plans for today are mainly getting stuff organised for tomorrow’s visit to the Tatton flower show. Once that’s all done, possibly a bit of playing with small electrical items that run on parallel strips of metal. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning and I was hoping to get on with some of the G word but after last nights rain it's still too wet and the hay fevers started up again. I might be able to go out later to deal with the bramble suckers coming over the fence from the council planting briar patch next door. There was an item on BBC breakfast this morning about bamboo, also an invasive plant. So invasive that it can penetrate buildings and do a lot of damage. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12