The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Back home I noticed an odd e mail from English Heritage which had a header and nothing in the e mail except a link to unsubscribe.  By using both a phone call and online chat I have found that the sender's address is one of theirs and it seems that somehow some test e mails have been sent out in error.  The man on the phone was very concerned when I gave him the e mail address which he had to admit was real as first he thought I was talking about a spam address using something a bit like theirs. 

I received a second email today apologising for yesterday’s ’Test’ email and including the actual content that was meant to be sent.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Also if you open RMweb in another tab it seems to give it a kick up the backside.

Yes, you too? I have to do that quite frequently with work related stuff to the University systems, especially where large amounts of data are involved, so that would point to local rather than RMWeb issues.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Typoman
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

36 minutes ago, BoD said:

I received a second email today apologising for yesterday’s ’Test’ email and including the actual content that was meant to be sent.

My replacement EH email didn't work. Waiting for a third email.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

My replacement EH email didn't work. Waiting for a third email.

Same for me, it was blank after the header.

David

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Some of you may remember me writing that I am avoiding lactose.  As I like yoghurt I have been trying vegetarian/vegan alternatives, based on soya.

I can accept the taste and texture though I prefer the real thing.

However I looked at the ingredient list of the ones I've been trying.  Each has between 15 and 21 ingredients which makes me vary doubtful about them.

I think I will stick to fresh fruit or a simple jelly for a light desseet.

David

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

( just try using BT if you want to really get worked up by slow /poor performance ).

I'm on BT , works great for me , fiber to the cabinet , then copper , 50 Mbps download and just shy of

10 Mbps upload , the only time I had a problem was a broken external cable sheathing and that only

affected the phone not the internet .

Firefox on Win 7 , like so many others this is the thread that causes problems .

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

And just had a monster hang posting the above ,opened a new tab and tried to load page

and got the unavailable banner , but opened another topic strait off .

• Friendly/supportive 12

Evening all….

Well that’s that then……to be completely honest I lost interest when Denmark got knocked out. But in the spirit of the event I carried on watching and drinking beer…..not for my own benefit…obviously.

Never mind. Only a few dull weeks until the season kicks off again. Oh whatever shall I do. 

In the mean time….these made me smile. 

IMG_6521.jpeg.9236a8b69582e5f0f612dee9b379c8f8.jpeg

IMG_6520.jpeg.2764feb9cdc2a490a599add243a312e6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A day of ups and downs.

• Nice car insurance renewal quote ✔️
  • Eyetest ok ✔️
  • Washing machine failed

Spending the evening looking for the least expensive replacement...

Update: New machine sourced, to be installed on Wednesday and the old heap ignominiously carted off.

Now all I have to do is remove the clothes that were to be washed, and empty the fabcon and laundry liquid before the new one arrives...

Edited by Hroth
Update
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Evening All,

I have problems on here using my iPad and iPhone. Both using current software and history is clear almost daily and  I restrict the number of tabs I have open at any one time.

I know what cookies are but don’t know how to clear them but I don’t even know what caches are.

A bit of googling required. I may be some time.

Goodnight.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Anyone like to take a guess at who appointed the Judge when he was POTUS?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz5rpdrxevro

Yep, the Orange One.....

No conflict of interest there, then.  And by all accounts it's not the first time she's found in his favour either.

I don't think this is over yet though .   😎

• Agree 6

Due to issues with ER (mk1) , ER 2 and the similarly themed TNM I thought I would save everyone the trouble looking  at each site and create a new combined one.

I was thinking of calling it

‘Social Truth’ and it would have a logo with an orange ear, representing our ability to listen and share and with a dash of red on it to represent our brotherhood. 
Unfortunately it looks like, from what happened earlier today, it would be locked PDQ.

Edited by Erichill16
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, PupCam said:

Some bright spark at a local council Waste Management Department attempts to save some money (no doubt in search of Brownie points and maybe even promotion) at the local Tidy Tip "System" by limiting access to it by users to one car boot-full per month per user and at the same time introduces a rule that only red vehicles* will be admitted.   If they really wanted to go overboard they could also introduce an appointment system too.

A most likely emergent property of such changes to the "system" would be increased fly-tipping because there's a percentage of the population that just will ........ 

A midlands council have done just that - viz limiting number of visits and booked times ... it went well (not) ... I believe they have now relaxed some of it  but ...  a so-called environmenntal project has cost millions but as I understand it still does not function.

Well actually managed to get on tonight and post ... well it seems thaat the post had been attributed to PupCam so have copied and pasted below.

A midlands council have done just that - viz limiting number of visits and booked times ... it went well (not) ... I believe they have now relaxed some of it  but ...  a so-called environmenntal project has cost millions but as I understand it still does not function.

Looking through some previous posts suggests some disatisfaction of late ... for me not all posts seem to end up or maybe I give up waiting after 'greying' and time.

Edited by PeterBB
Oddities came up.
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

And just had a monster hang posting the above ,opened a new tab and tried to load page

and got the unavailable banner , but opened another topic strait off .

Just had the forever wait on the ships thread - it really is not just ER's where this happens.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Persisting down outside but its reckoned to be wall to wall welkin by Wednesday. Now to catch up on the rest of RMweb and Farcebook.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

My attempt to emigrate to ER2 seems to have been thwarted by the house of York.  Shutters firmly down and no migrants allowed.

On the issue of slow loading pages it is not just here as others have noted.  On Cats opens the page quickly but the wheel of death then spins for what seems like forever before taking you to a reference point, which is not the first unread post.  Photos of East Yorkshire Railways similarly.  In both these cases however, they are heavily loaded with pictures.   I am sure that is not helped by an iffy internet connection at my end.

There are signs all around that announce that "fibre is coming" and I am tempted to annotate that with "by the end of the century".  I suppose I should not complain since we are a small commune of under 300 souls and 9km away from a town, so the costs must be significant.   I don't know how that compares with more remote areas in the UK.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

That was your weather forecast for the remainder of the summer. ...

Curdy Turses.

I secured ownership of a "used" 400mm lens for the DSLR the other day.  It hasn't been used but has been out of the box.  £1200 instead of £2300.  I want to get out and make good use of it!  

That should see the lens collection completed for the foreseeable.  50mm macro, 18-55mm and 55-250mm everyday, the unstabilised "knock-off" 420-800 (cost nowhere near the £24000 for a genuine one and gives results matching what was paid) and now the 100-400 with full image stabilisation and a few other goodies.  

I'm watching you.  And I might be able to post the piccies 😂

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Just had the forever wait on the ships thread

As ex-Merch you should know that ships never move very fast! 🤣

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

34 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Curdy Turses.

I secured ownership of a "used" 400mm lens for the DSLR the other day.  It hasn't been used but has been out of the box.  £1200 instead of £2300.  I want to get out and make good use of it!  

That should see the lens collection completed for the foreseeable.  50mm macro, 18-55mm and 55-250mm everyday, the unstabilised "knock-off" 420-800 (cost nowhere near the £24000 for a genuine one and gives results matching what was paid) and now the 100-400 with full image stabilisation and a few other goodies.  

I'm watching you.  And I might be able to post the piccies 😂

Just don't do it on ER that's all we ask.

• Like 9