The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, BoD said:

I sometimes wonder if the admins have the facility to and have actually put some sort of ‘choke’ on ER activity.

No - it's just too big. We've had the suggestion come up a couple of times to archive the current thread and start over. It's a good idea I think. Pick a date and start using ERs - Version X.

I think, in general, we'd have more consistent performance - except of course at times when the whole forum software is slow.

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

No - it's just too big. We've had the suggestion come up a couple of times to archive the current thread and start over. It's a good idea I think. Pick a date and start using ERs - Version X.

I think, in general, we'd have more consistent performance - except of course at times when the whole forum software is slow.

I have floated a similar suggestion with Andy before now; archive the thread at a given point and keep the more recent pages.  Serving up over 13000 pages every time someone asks to read or post here takes time and resources.  Apparently there is some technical reason why that may not be easy.  

Far easier, if less palatable, might be to simply close this one off and start all over.  It won't take too long for most of the regulars to find a new place.  Once you post - unless you so choose otherwise - you get emails or other alerts for all other new posts anyway so any discontinuity would be short-lived.  

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Apparently there is some technical reason why that may not be easy.  

We don't really need to archive it - just stop using it and start with a new topic - Early Risers Redux* or whatever.

* I realize there were earlier incarnations with prior versions of the platform.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Given his age, I do wonder about how good his planning was. I know what I was like at 20 and while I was no fool then, some experience and wisdom from the intervening years would help significantly in planning such an operation. Even if you don't care about walking away from the shot, if you are sufficiently motivated to attempt a political assassination, you do want to make that shot count

New reporting today:

CNN: Local officer tried to stop gunman on rooftop, but was unable to engage him, Butler County sheriff says

The shooter was rushed by a police officer on the roof of the shed - who dropped when the shooter turned around. The shooter (now positively detected) and possibly distracted, then fired.

... one local officer hoisted another to get up to the ledge. The shooter turned around, saw the officer peering over and pointed his gun at him. The officer let go of the ledge to “take cover” and save his own life. The gunman then started firing from the rooftop. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

We don't really need to archive it - just stop using it and start with a new topic - Early Risers Redux* or whatever.

* I realize there were earlier incarnations with prior versions of the platform.

Can’t the thread be locked, as I’ve seen on several threads that have got overheated with direction to a new version?

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

. Ken (or was it Keith?) was saying ………..

Come on Monkey you’re getting sloppy, you know here on ER we need accurate information, not something that a gutter press ‘journalist’ may have come up with.

Otherwise an interesting post.

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

So.

St Swithuns/Swithins day, bright sunshine, high of 20c, calm.  Rain later...

The 40 days of rain rule was apparently originally dependant on rain falling on his bridge in Winchester, similar to the old "white christmas" rule that a snowflake had to fall on the roof of the London Weather Centre on Christmas Day.

The BBC weather app seems to be interested in predicting rain for most of the following two weeks....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  A good day yesterday, Market in the morning. Not a lot in the afternoon then the Bastille Day meal in the evening.  We got collared into the  after party, the only English there but still managed to get home safely.  Head is clear.  Now a French class this morning. 

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

The wedding week starts .. today!

Haircut today

Her indoors to collect Dr Eldest Herbert from the wrong side of the hills

Tomorrow.. taxi booked for 11 is..  off to the Civic Hall for the legal ceremony then

Lunch at a nice restaurant in Leeds.

Wednesday.. travel to Warwick for a cricket meeting.. thermo nuclear multiple war headed teddies are ready to go

Thursday.. herself at volunteering.. me cleaning

Friday .. welcome guests, attend meal for my 167 year on this plant..

Saturday.. taxi to a marquee in a father in laws field.. eat, drink and be nice to people

Sunday .. guests depart.. me into hibernation....

Baz

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

ION 

So for £37 million you build a cycle supe highway between Leeds and Bradford on the pretext of getting more people out of their cars..

Well 10 years on an average of 800  people  per day use it..  yes 800 people.. wow.. great impact on the environment..  not..

One Councillor commented "why build it its too hilly"... really??

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Well well well. No pussy in there so far though. 

It is, as forecast, raining more than somewhat. The gulls are vocally objecting but the garden is thankful. 

We shall find out in the fullness of time how accurate Old Swithun was. 

And in case this turns out to be my last post on this version of ERs I’ll see you on the other side. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Well well well. No pussy in there so far though. 

It is, as forecast, raining more than somewhat. The gulls are vocally objecting but the garden is thankful. 

We shall find out in the fullness of time how accurate Old Swithun was. 

And in case this turns out to be my last post on this version of ERs I’ll see you on the other side. 

Not  for me.. I will have words with Andy Y.  I find @polybear to be acting well above his station.. thank god for the Drivellers!

Baz

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Greetings all from a quiet and grey Sidcup, although rain is not due here until early evening.

That depressed feeling that England lost - expected but you still have hope. Next tournament will be 30 years of "30 years of hurt". 

Even the thought that I had Spain in the work sweepstake seems of little consolation.

Never mind, I guess we move on to the excitement of work!

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Not  for me.. I will have words with Andy Y.  I find @polybear to be acting well above his station.. thank god for the Drivellers!

Baz

Well there's been moanin' about how slow ER'ers often is for months....so do we carry on moanin' for more months or does someone try to fix it (and the idea of starting a new ER thread suggested by many seems as sensible as any) - so why not give it a go?

And who's "station" would it be exactly??

It might work, it might not.  And @Andy Y might agree it's a good idea - or not.  In which case nothing's been lost.  But at least someone will've tried to do something about it.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Amazing what you can do with some Millie put and grease paint now a days.

🎶 Millie put the kettle on,

We'll all have tea! 🎶

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

There’s something strange happening here, there’s a big shiny yellow thing in the sky AND the sky is an odd blue colour, can’t quite work out what’s going on🤣

So, with the current weather conditions, I might get the cross beams cut today, I might even get the holes drilled in the bottom of the legs and the feet fitted to them. However, before I start all that, I’m going to get the chairs and truck out of th shed ready for the Tatton flower show on Wednesday. Due to the current RHS thinking and planning, this is the last show there for 3 years, 😡, pah. It’s not gone down well with us RHS members! 

Back later. 

Brian. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, polybear said:

Well there's been moanin' about how slow ER'ers often is for months....so do we carry on moanin' for more months or does someone try to fix it (and the idea of starting a new ER thread suggested by many seems as sensible as any) - so why not give it a go?

And who's "station" would it be exactly??

It might work, it might not.  And @Andy Y might agree it's a good idea - or not.  In which case nothing's been lost.  But at least someone will've tried to do something about it.

There would be loss of immediate continuity but nothing IMHO that cannot be overcome.  I respect the fact that other opinions may differ.  I do have issues of loading time (and more often than not the request times out before service) and I more often than not receive "Community Temporarily Unavailable" when posting.  I know the post goes up but I don't get to see it until some time later.  Which can mean typos and other stuff goes uncorrected for some time.  

I would prefer a faster thread.  But we are in Andy's club and his rules and decisions apply.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

I too find that ERs can take a long time to load (and Save) if someone else is doing the same thing.  Until a decision is made either by design or default I'll probably put the same post in both versions.  I might say "Obviously everything I write is so important that everyone needs to see it." - but that would be rubbish, most of what I write is inconsequential and does not "need" to be read by anyone let alone everyone.  

Anyway today has started well, the sun is putting in an appearance now and then, the rain has stopped, the wind has gone round to the west and it is a bit warmer.  I slept better too.

So far I've done my share of the housework, had a quick tidy up, put some bits in the bin and had a look at the garden which now needs attention, even though it is very wet.  I've tied up some of the sweet peas which had fallen down because of how heavy the rain was, fortunately the stems hadn't broken.  I've had a paddle round the greenhouse and found a couple of tomatoes to pick, by teatime some plants will need watering so they will also get fed.

The Asda order for tomorrow needs amending and I must work out what to do about the credit card account where the bank has changed the account number but not yet sent me a new card.  Their e mails say the old one will continue to work for now, I may ring them to check.  Why do they have to change things just to suit themselves, another case of customers do not matter.  I begin to think that banks really do work in the way they are portrayed in the current Nationwide adverts.  Moan over.

The rest of the day is a bit fluid, it may be captioning photos, making something, reading.  The window cleaner is slowly getting nearer, I don't want to miss him so I can pay him.  I also will be doing some washing once the cleaner has finished.

David

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I call on all fellow ERs to come together and avoid turning against eachother in the face of the seccessionist movement of Jefferson Polybear, now is a time for unity!! As such, I will offer my services along with my loyal army of P4 nutters in the service of the highest bidder, to crush the enemy. Offers by PM please, used S$100 dollar notes only.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10