The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Pages 13223 and 13224 are duplicated at present. Perhaps one more post will set it right?

EDIT

This occurred before my post appeared on the top of 13225.

image.png.956d9ca0506b7f052d3921bf1d3aca5a.png

All set to rights now. I do notice that loading ER pages is slower than other threads, though this is not consistently so.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added 504 message
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

This should help the POTUS avoid some flak:

(from the BBC News website):

"Who shot at Donald Trump?

State voter records show that he was a registered Republican, according to US media"

So one of Donny's own team.....

Of course he could have been lying... 

Not much has come out yet about motivation but assuming the shooter tried to plan this well in advance, registering as a GOP supporter may have given him useful info and/or access. Or maybe not (depending on how such matters are dealt with) - but he might have thought it worth a punt. Alternatively, it could be a false flag and the shooter was trying to muddy the waters with some deliberate disinformation. 

Given his age, I do wonder about how good his planning was. I know what I was like at 20 and while I was no fool then, some experience and wisdom from the intervening years would help significantly in planning such an operation. Even if you don't care about walking away from the shot, if you are sufficiently motivated to attempt a political assassination, you do want to make that shot count. And given the resources of a nation-state in providing BG services/VIP protection, one shot may be all you get. So get it right... 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

ION...

Miscellaneous pottering indulged in. Inside (mostly awl-forbidden matters) and outside. It's generally been a fine day, dry and not too hot or too sunny. Various bits saw progress. Lunch was also chicken, though with chips, shallots and 'green stuff' - petit pois, cavolo nero, brocoli for those wanting the technical terms... A quiet afternoon was had, reading and sauntering in the garden. I have to confess the news from the west has made me wonder about the standard of my shooting. I've not done much in the last few years, I used to be good, not up to SF standard but reasonable. 

Two pots from Waitrose were planted, they have a 'pot' option on various herbs and it's actually cheaper than many garden centres to buy their pots and plant them. So with several 'snips' for meals, there's quite a bit of the plant left to put out in the garden. The chives in particular give a nice flower. 

A fine evening beckons, ideal for some quiet contemplation away from thoughts of political matters, some good company and a glass of some falling down water. Hic .... 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Concerning OrangeMan, all I can think is that the standard of American marksmanship has deteriorated since 1963.  Which is odd, considering the amount of firearms that the US is awash with.

Hey ho.

The ping-pong has finally finished and the euro foot-the-ball will be done and dusted this evening.

We've now got 12 days grace until the olympics kick in....

sigh

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

That made the news absolutely nowhere

I'm avoiding the news this morning, so I can't corroborate.  I'm watching a sporting event on my DVR.

A "military surplus" mail-order catalogue arrived in the mail yesterday. Along with the Swiss bicycle, RAF dress jacket, Italian sailor shirts and Austrian medic clogs (and of course all the MOLLE plate carriers and suspension rigs and holsters) the back cover featured a "Used Law Enforcement Trade-in" Glock handgun.

An (almost) centerfold of the catalogue featured semi-automatic weapons that looked like "AR" style rifles (same looking grip, stock, magazine, Picatinny equipment rail etc) but three of them weren't. They included a 12 gauge shot gun, a RDB (rifle, downward ejecting "bullpup") and a rifle firing .308" / 7.62 rounds; plus four more handguns.

Relevant ammunition was available.

They do not ship these items to *all* states - depending on state laws, but it is indicative of access in many places.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

... the standard of American marksmanship has deteriorated since 1963.  Which is odd, ...

Let's not make these sort of sweeping generalizations please.  Oswald (at 24) was a former US Marine* and (presumed) a Soviet-trained sleeper asset gone rogue.

* At one point was rated "sharpshooter", later downgraded to "marksman". 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

On a somewhat different note, I have just sat through the closing ceremonies of the European Tournament.

Football through the medium of interpretive dance anyone?

What a load of carp!

Mrs iD and gave up on the Beeb (because of that ghastly Gary Lineker whose commentary is as vacuous as his opinions) and on ITV - with their endless advertising for betting (whatever happened to good old fashioned TV ads for beer?).

So we are watching the match n Swiss TV.

It beats dental surgery without anaesthesia - just

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here.....

Co-op raided, Bertie the Bosch Driven, Beamland visited, bits packed and postage paid for - Postie Pat(ricia) collects tomorrow........

Din Dins scoffed, Kitchen Kitty Kat Klock stripped & mechanism deemed Fubarr'ed - so a new one has been ordered off the 'bay.  I reckon that's a Tick.

Then it was time to unpack the recent choo choo purchase (a very nicely built & finished s/h jobbie courtesy of Messrs. DJH & Portescap - and expertly packed by someone who knows what they're doing).  That's Tick #1 earned.  I've yet to add any smoke yet though in order to test it.....

Muddlin'?  Well I guess the bit above sort of counts as such - but no additional muddlin' to the brass jobbie has been carried out today.  Maybe/hopefully tomorrow......

As for sales on the 'bay....well a very late rush on one item (no doubt the work of sniping programs) has helped put a smile on a Bear's face; it's already packed so all I need is for the buyer to stump up the Deltics.  One didn't sell though 😒 - but I did realise it's somewhat "niche" and may take a little while, despite kicking off at fifteen quid.  It's relisted......

edit:  The buyer has stumped up the Deltics - meaning Bear could arrange postage so the RM can collect both parcels tomorrow.  Definite Tick awarded.

Still no news as yet from he who said he wants Harry 😒 - we'll see....

The kickball is on the magic moving picture box at Bear Towers - I'm sort of very semi-glancing occasionally at it from time to time......

Bear gone....

p.s. Anyone heard from @grandadbob?  Hope he's ok.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 16

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This was last Sunday:

That made the news absolutely nowhere

It did make the news - it is a week old. The summer weekend around Independence Day  has a 'tradition' of violence:

CBS: Gun violence over July 4 week dropped in 2024, but still above 2019 levels

But the week still saw a surge in shootings compared to other weeks throughout the year. From July 1 to July 7, 340 people were killed and 756 were wounded for a total of 1,096 shooting victims across the U.S., according to the Gun Violence Archive. In 2023, the week of July 4 in the U.S. saw 451 people shot and killed and another 1,130 wounded. These numbers exclude those who died by suicide.

Shootings go up in the summer.

The media response to shootings between people who know each other is much attenuated compared with reports where total strangers are involved (not just as bystanders).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. It's like a ghost town out there at the moment but as I couldn't care less about soccer I'm not bothered. At least the ice cream van has disappeared, the jingles are a right PITA as late as ten at night. Nothing else on the box so I'll do a bit of soduku. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Anyone heard from @grandadbob?  Hope he's ok.....

Yes hope so.

Not seen since July 5 according to his profile*. He has mentioned he doesn't like politics and there were 'political' observations at that time. 

* Which when I visited I got something approximating the hacking warnings in the banner at the top so I closed the tab.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Sunday Funnies.....

image.png.89ba9df10c13a514bed39fb7444aeb30.png

image.png.448ee4ce0320c2a5c4c4867163136b55.png

One for @iL Dottore:

image.png.9fe0a5ba267ab147fae5b5618eab69b2.png

One for Bunny @The White Rabbit:

image.png.090d68a3b82a2a440534c46049e5fb9a.png

image.png.d81c8984163dbe5775026fe2123aaecb.png

image.png.db13748aea949b24e978b4b05c9ef2c8.png

A female CNN journalist heard about a very old Jewish man who had been going to the Western Wall to pray, twice a day, every day, for a long, long time.
So she went to check it out. She went to the Western Wall and there he was, walking slowly up to the holy site.
She watched him pray and after about 45 minutes, when he turned to leave, using a cane and moving very slowly, she approached him for an interview.
"Pardon me, sir, I'm Rebecca Smith from CNN. What's your name?
"Morris Feinberg," he replied.
"Sir, how long have you been coming to the Western Wall and praying?"
"For about 60 years."
"60 years! That's amazing! What do you pray for?"
"I pray for peace between the Christians, Jews and the Muslims.
"I pray for all the wars and all the hatred to stop.
"I pray for all our children to grow up safely as responsible adults and to love their fellow man.
"I pray that politicians tell us the truth and put the interests of the people ahead of their own interests.
"How do you feel after doing this for 60 years?" asked the journalist.
"Like I'm talking to a f*cking brick wall."

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 7

Many celebrity obituaries this week.

Jacoby Jones - former NFL player - 40

Shannon Doherty - actress - 53

Richard Simmons - fitness personality - 76

Ruth Westheimer - Sex therapist - 96

Shelly Duvall - actress - 75

Seems like a lot all at once.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

It beats dental surgery without anaesthesia - just

Kickballing. So over-rated. 

In other news the local boy won the Lafrowda hand-drilling contest today. Fastest to hand-drill a specified depth into a lump of solid granite. Keeping the old skills alive. 

• Like 13
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Oh well, only two years to the Football World Cup.

Don't worry, you've only got 12 days until the Olympics - which includes kickball....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm avoiding the news this morning, so I can't corroborate.  I'm watching a sporting event on my DVR.

A "military surplus" mail-order catalogue arrived in the mail yesterday. Along with the Swiss bicycle, RAF dress jacket, Italian sailor shirts and Austrian medic clogs (and of course all the MOLLE plate carriers and suspension rigs and holsters) the back cover featured a "Used Law Enforcement Trade-in" Glock handgun.

An (almost) centerfold of the catalogue featured semi-automatic weapons that looked like "AR" style rifles (same looking grip, stock, magazine, Picatinny equipment rail etc) but three of them weren't. They included a 12 gauge shot gun, a RDB (rifle, downward ejecting "bullpup") and a rifle firing .308" / 7.62 rounds; plus four more handguns.

They do not ship these items to *all* states - depending on state laws, but it is indicative of access in many places.

Slightly different over here. I remember when we had an ‘Army and Navy Surplus Supplies Store’ in town.  No guns, automatic or otherwise, Just shelves full of trousers made of a material heavier than lead but like sandpaper to wear and billions of mess tins.  

How do I know dear reader? I bought one of each for my first walking/camping trip.  

Edited by BoD
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

All set to rights now. I do notice that loading ER pages is slower than other threads, though this is not consistently so.

I have had that message a couple of times and often get frustrated at the time taken to load. Occasionally it just hangs.  I wonder if that is something to do with the size of ERs in the database or just the number of hits.  There are a couple of other similar topics which don’t seem to have that problem.  I sometimes wonder if the admins have the facility to and have actually put some sort of ‘choke’ on ER activity.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Don't worry, you've only got 12 days until the Olympics - which includes kickball....

Yes but England don’t play in the Olympics. The Olympic team is GB and if ‘we’ sent a GB team it would make thing difficult to explain why ‘we’ have four teams competing in the World Cup etc. ( England,Wales,Scotland and N.I.) 

Anyway I’m supporting Uzbekistan at the Olympic football tournament.

Edited by Erichill16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

We woke up late this morning, so consequently we ended up having a late breakfast, in bed! So, when we finally got up, I went straight outside to get some more wood cut. The weather has been pretty much the same as yesterday, intermittent light rain. However, this meant that I ended up packing up earlier than I’d planned. However, all was not lost, I’ve now cut all the pieces for the frame of the helix and all the legs. I just need to cut the cross beams and supports, then I can start erecting the helix and the storage yard baseboards. Possibly as early as next week! 

This evening I had my monthly chat we my brother in Canada. As usual we talked about the weather, the price of fuel, families, sport etc, nothing o& real importance, but it’s good to catch up nonetheless. However, we did discuss the Trump shooting, but that’s enough about that. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

On the other side of the coin!

The two machine guns on the  Catalina are dummies. Ken (or was it Keith?) was saying that it took HARS 2 years(!) to go through the process of getting them registered and to get approval to mount them despite their fakeness. The same process had to be followed as though they were real machine guns.  (and at the end of it all real machine guns wouldn't have been approved..)

P1240394(1).JPG.433bec2da403d7216dc58612219e7635.JPG

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3