The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

That's a good point - I'd store it in the fridge, but any ideas on how long it'd be safe for** ?

**That's safe from "going bad" (and risking food poisoning) rather than "safe from A Bear" - which of course it never will be....

Introducing President Paddington (Ukraine) as "President Putin" hasn't helped...

And  saying "Vice President Trump" when he meant Harris didnt add confidence  to the cause either.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The new Ford Capri it seems.

image.png.331b77170add81436bfeff741262ea44.png

Tell ya what, if Ford   ever release  some cookie-cutter 4 door SUV here and try to call it the new  Falcon GTHO  their marketing department will find themselves dangling upside down   from the Harbour Bridge!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a sunny 18 degree rock, where a bunch of old men who should know better are about to thunder about the place on a selection (diverse) of motorcycles.  There will be no motorways or dual carriageways traversed on our journey - there aren't any!

Fingers crossed for a smooth day tomorrow, Baz @Barry O

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am looking for volunteers for a new TV Documentary on model railways and the occult. The dark heart of the hobby which is never spoken of in public, it's chilling stuff.

Episode one explores perhaps the most macabre of all model occultism- that reading Cyril Freezers article on minories layouts backwards in front of a mirror will raise Dave Jones from the underworld. Once raised, occultist believe Dave will provide infinite crowdfunded models which will be the best estimate evvvaaahhhh and be delivered next week. Horrifying, I need someone daft enough to be the Guinea pig, we can provide the satanic text and have flamethrowers ans 2000lb bombs ready just in case Dave does appear.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, polybear said:

... I used a wide, very sharp flat bladed knife at various points (including the deepest) at the suggested cooking time (50 minutes @ 160C) and it did indeed come out clean each time.

The instructions suggested waiting just a couple of minutes or so; I lifted it out gently using the greaseproof paper lining and put it on a cake rack (yep, got one of those 🙂).  ....

And for those who haven't, a grill [rack] also works. I confess I don't use a knitting needle or meat skewer to test cakes (or other items) but use a knife as well. Except for treacle tart, then for some reason even I'm not sure of, I use a fork. 

Looks good @polybear - especially the cake decorations! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Surprisingly , we’ve had no rain since yesterday and there isn’t any forecast for today either! So hopefully, my walk to and from the butchers should mean that I won’t get wet. After that, WE were supposed to going to the Trafford Centre, but Sheila has decided to stay at home, phew! After dinner, the plan is to start making a lemon cheesecake, as we have guests round for tea tomorrow night. Mike and Sarah will be joining us for an Indian takeaway. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Waiting for the Prez Biden Press Conference to start.   Things could get interesting!

2 hours ago, polybear said:

... Introducing President Paddington (Ukraine) as "President Putin" hasn't helped...

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

And  saying "Vice President Trump" when he meant Harris didnt add confidence  to the cause either.

Oh dear*. I know we all have off days - I've had a few myself lately - but ... oh dear oh dear oh dear... 

At this rate he'll have a chapter to himself in the next Colemanballs. 

* Alternative phrases are available and no doubt have already been used in certain quarters. 

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

It hasn't rained yet this morning and the temperature had managed to reach 12°C by breakfast time.  The wind is from the north east, I'm not sure why my hay fever is being troublesome so far today.  I had quite a good night's sleep, the stiff sore neck only woke me once, I "cured" it with ibuprofen.

ShortlyI will have a short walk and possibly visit a shop.  Then I need to sort out photos or there will be none ready to put on here.  Then there are sporting things to watch and perhaps models to work on.

I have dceided to continue to avoid most of the news again except for a quick glance at the headlines.  I'm afraid I find it very depressing, also I wish that reporters would get facts right - but they never have in the past so it is too much to hope for.

David

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Oh dear*. I know we all have off days - I've had a few myself lately - but ... oh dear oh dear oh dear... 

* Alternative phrases are available and no doubt have already been used in certain quarters. 

However, Biden's gaffes are nothing compared to the total carp that The Orange One comes out with.

11 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I have decided to continue to avoid most of the news again except for a quick glance at the headlines.  I'm afraid I find it very depressing, also I wish that reporters would get facts right - but they never have in the past so it is too much to hope for.

David

First spending ten minutes talking about the kickball at the start of the tea-time news before then going onto the murder of three women with a crossbow was a BIG no-no in this Bear's book.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

The news, what to say? My advice is to scan the headlines to try and keep up with what is going on, from a variety of sources and if a story is really important to you then do your own research.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Well overslept this morning, that's why I'm late on parade. I too have never had LDC, I've just never fancied it. My favourite cake is bread pudding, in fact I'm addicted to it.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

However, Biden's gaffes are nothing compared to the total carp that The Orange One comes out with.

The problem is the Orange man's followers just straight up believe every thing that he says ,seeing the

footage of an event and the the comments he made about electric boats can't float because they are to heavy ,

at another one getting electrocuted by the battery if it sinks , and people in the crowd were nodding along like

he was spouting words of wisdom , and not to forget all the windmills killing the whales .

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Another late riser.

the storms returned yesterday evening and were still illuminating the inside of the house at 5am.  In doing my rather damp rounds last night, I found one of our hedgehogs sheltering under the suspended terrace.  I put a plate of cat food down for it.  This morning it was empty and the contents replaced by over 1cm rain water.  This despite being over 2m from the open air!  I think I can forget gardening today.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Thanks. I think I may need my waterproof woolly hat, rather than my Tilley sun hat!

I have been watching, or rather waiting for, the hatching of baby fulmar up on a cliff top on one of the Iceland volcano webcams. It has hatched but I have not been able to see it for a couple of days since due to the "battleship grey"* wiped out view. It seems there is more of the wet stuff moving up from the east coast of the US. The camera pans round every 10-15 minutes or so covering various aspects of the affects the recent eruption has had on the area. The town of Grindavik is still mostly void of people but a I saw a trawler in the harbour a few days ago, and various vehicles coming and going. The Blue Lagoon, near the power plant in the video, is currently open as seen in a video posted on yootoob by Iceland Explorer

* Chat viewer's description.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The new Ford Capri it seems.

image.png.331b77170add81436bfeff741262ea44.png

Tell ya what, if Ford   ever release  some cookie-cutter 4 door SUV here and try to call it the new  Falcon GTHO  their marketing department will find themselves dangling upside down   from the Harbour Bridge!

Thats an ugly slug!

Quite unlike the first Ford Capri I ever saw...

FCC1.jpg.5b55940a2a9dce0f597c6fe0a3652fbe.jpg

Wikipedia: Ford Consul Capri 1963

Now, if they did an electric version of that!

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I once dobbed Simon Bates into Colemanballs* and got a fiver for doing so!

*  Colemanballs 3**, the second page in the POP section, about Spandau Ballet.  It even got a Larry cartoon!

** Collected book published in 1986.  Where did the time go?

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

More muddlin'.....

The black plastic lid now fits on the brass bottom bit.  Definitely a Tick.

Bits involved in the transfer of smoke from the round things to the whizzy thing "ongoing".  Partial Tick.

Oh yes, and Wooflu Test = big fat negative 😁.  That's #Strike 2.....and it's looking good for Bear's afternoon of Jelly n' Ice Cream tomorrow......

And finally.....

Bear's LDC Test (Stage #1) was successful yesterday - though the Mk.2 version will DEFINITELY be gettin' oodles of ikky stikky gooey stuff - inside AND on top......

Of course like any good Scientific Study it'll require numerous further stages in order to ensure reliable data - so Stage #2 is at tea time.....

BG

• Like 18

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The branding of the Mustang Mach-e was not warmly received by automotive fans. (Nothing wrong with the car, I think it's very similar to the Jaguar e-Pace, just the branding. The V8 Mustang GT still lives.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

6 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I don't use a knitting needle or meat skewer to test cakes

A traditional approach was to use a straw* from a straw broom.  Not sure I want to put a grubby broom straw in my cake, but it is effective.

* Not the hollow kind you drink with. 

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

4 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

windmills killing the whales

Usually it's birds. Don't forget low flow showers and toilets - but we now understand why he had so much trouble with flushing toilets and confidential documents.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1