The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A mate of mine has 2 tickets for the Final in Germany on Sunday

He paid £300 each including accommodation but he didn't realise when he bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as his wedding!

If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place!!

It's at Cockington Court at 4pm.

The bride's name is Deborah

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

He paid £300 each including accommodation but he didn't realise when he bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as his wedding!

You are not tempted by Deborah than @polybear .....

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I'm married to one of those, but don't ever, EVER call her that upon pain of a slow death! Deb, Debs, Debbie, hey you, but never ever Deborah.

ION been fighting laptop failure all day, battery not charging, despite icon saying plugged in and live etc.  All the usual things run and fiddled with, finally got it to charge but the icon doesn't show it as charging but will give the charge status.  Presumably 'Windows is ruining Your Computer' issues.  Shockingly while running diagnostics and appy things it decided to tell me it is 9 years old.  Surely not, it's the newish one,........ oh dear, doesn't time fly!  Might be about time to get a newie, but then have all the hassles of getting Office etc on it, all this modern cloudy stuff is well over my heed, I have a disc and a key for it....oh new ones don't have disc drives.....feeling old.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Me thinks new politicians who espouse the end of culture war and then go on about "working class " have promptly missed the point.

No 10mm board found, but, two lots of 5mm were found. Gluing and screwing maybe tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I had a drive to the garden centre this morning, it takes about 13 minutes.  I shall be very pleased when the new station is open and the overbridge finished.  At the moment going round 2 part finished roundabouts with temporary connections to the existing road is interesting to say the least.  Leaving town there is a point at which 2 lorries can't really go through together if they meet.  Coming into town there is a few yards of a gradient downhill of about 1 in 5 onto the old road and another very narrow bit.  The warning signs say 20mph but that is really a bit fast.

I had a very good coffee and a small pack of Rington's biscuits which were delicious.  Then I bought the tomato fertiliser i went for.  However I ended up with 2 paperbacks, a new road atlas, a long handled weeder and a geranium as well.  On the way home I found that the road I use to get to the podiatrist is still closed for road resurfacing so had to remember to go the other way this afternoon.

I got to the podiatrist a few minutes early, as usual he was running early so I was out again about 5 minutes after I should have seen him.  I followed the diversion to come home and arrived at a roundabout leading onto the dual carriageway with a complete circle of two lanes of stationary traffic as the local school pupils were just being collected by their Mums.  Eventually I gave up and went left to head north, off at the next junction and then back south under the roundabout which worked well.

It's turned warmer this afternoon, 14°C instead of 13°C!  It is still raining on and off.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'm married to one of those, but don't ever, EVER call her that upon pain of a slow death! Deb, Debs, Debbie, hey you, but never ever Deborah.

ION been fighting laptop failure all day, battery not charging, despite icon saying plugged in and live etc.  All the usual things run and fiddled with, finally got it to charge but the icon doesn't show it as charging but will give the charge status.  Presumably 'Windows is ruining Your Computer' issues.  Shockingly while running diagnostics and appy things it decided to tell me it is 9 years old.  Surely not, it's the newish one,........ oh dear, doesn't time fly!  Might be about time to get a newie, but then have all the hassles of getting Office etc on it, all this modern cloudy stuff is well over my heed, I have a disc and a key for it....oh new ones don't have disc drives.....feeling old.

You might just need a new battery.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Windows keeps telling me that my computer is not compatible with Windows 11 and that time is running out.   TCs all round I think.   The Cloud - Pah!    Microsoft 365 - Double Pah!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

You might just need a new battery.

Battery health checks out OK, I think the issue is the charging control software.  Updated it but things still don't seem right.

6 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Windows keeps telling me that my computer is not compatible with Windows 11 and that time is running out.   TCs all round I think.   The Cloud - Pah!    Microsoft 365 - Double Pah!

Yup, I feel your pain on this one, on all three matters.  I did buy a new laptop last year, all Win 11 and digital hard drive fanciness, but it has been.....acquired, by 'her wot we must not call Deborah', as her tablet is dying.  4th pah!

Edited by New Haven Neil
add a 'u'
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I've seen the photo.....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I've had a couple of 4X4's though I very rarely had to use the four wheel drive. Once or twice I found the benefit of a high ground clearance. Once just after I'd gone through a water splash where after recent rain was a bit high I heard cheering from a few people standing on the bank. A low slung sports car had followed me and got stuck.😁

Further to the above the car was so low that the water covered the seats, so the driver and his lady friend got wet bottoms. I doubt that relationship got much further.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Bear got such a message a week ago.....will I rush out for a new lappy?  Er, no.....

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about your various problems @Ian Abel but being able to sit and watch a sunset like that must surely calm your nerves and lower the blood pressure, it is beautiful.

I hope it all works out well for your brother.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:
1 hour ago, polybear said:

An unfortunate name for a wedding venue.  And yes I am aware that it is the name of the wider locality as well.  Not quite as bad as the street in St. Ives named Court Cocking and where numerous couples have been.  Because it's a dark back-street at night.  

38 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've seen the photo.....

And the sticks are still saying "Wu-flu" and "No-go out".

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening one and all.  

Busy bees we are today and no mistake.  A morning cleaning which is normally tomorrow's job.  An afternoon watch and an evening (yet to come) at the Muddling Hut.  

Tomorrow I am heading east in the Little Red Driving Box.  One passenger seat available for anyone along the route A30 - A3052 - A35 - A31 - M27 - A27.  The rest of the space is reserved for payloads, various.  

I get board and lodging at my sister's before heading up to the Big Smoke on Friday morning.  Collect Dr. SWMBO, collect some large potted plants we couldn't get in the van last year and call into a friend on the way down.  No space available.  Route A24 - A3 - M3 - A303 - A30.  

Plenty of miles there.

A good thing I didn't try to go up on the train given today's shennanigans.  Down Sleeper failed just west of Truro and blocked the line for quite some hours.  It required an HST set (of the currently-shortened variety) to come down from Plymouth to couple up and drag it back east.  Minus passengers who finally alighted at Truro mid-morning rather than at Penzance before breakfast.  It's now being towed back down to Penzance by the same set in the hopes that tonight's Up sleeper can run.  They aren't sure yet.  Long gone are the days of having something spare, or even a depot nearby, let alone anything with compatible couplers to drag a failure away in emergency.  Questions will be asked.  The Delay Repay settlements will be huge - almost the entire train service was cancelled until mid-afternoon.  The new Minister for Trainsets will have a few emails to read in the morning.  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, polybear said:

One thing I'm very in favour of is both basic written and spoken tests prior to long-term visas etc. being granted -

People applying for visas have to have a standard of English measured by a test. The level is higher than GCSE English. I have no idea if the dependents of visa applicants have to sit a test. Matthew applied to a Swedish University and was told his GCSE English grade wasn’t good enough even though he had a BA from Leicester and an MSc  from the LSE. The Dutch uni he was at used him as a native speaker volunteer resource for the students who spoke English but hadn’t ever spoken to a native language speaker.  

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Route A24 - A3 - M3 - A303 - A30.  

We will need to avoid the M25 on Saturday morning as it is shut at the A3 junction.(from Friday 9pm) As we want the M3 rather than the diversion we are planning to way round the M25 use the Northern M25. At least it is the day before our ship sails.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

My old laptop has been put to use controlling the model railway.  It still runs Windows 97 which microshaft stopped supporting a while back but it isn’t connected to the home WiFi or the Internet so that isn’t an issue.  As an added bonus I can (usually) tell Windows 97 what to do rather than the other way round.

For other stuff around the house and further afield  I now use an IPad.  Ironic since I have a lot less control over it but it does what it says on the tin.  I browse the internet, read the papers, do the e-Mail, and have a few useful (to me) apps.  One of the things I really like about it is that, with its GPS facility and my subscription to the Ordnance Survey, I can see a map of exactly where I am when travelling about. It helps that I love maps.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, polybear said:

He'd only have to make it for the  penalty shootout though, he could squeeze both in.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, BoD said:

One of the things I really like about it is that, with its GPS facility and my subscription to the Ordnance Survey, I can see a map of exactly where I am when travelling about. It helps that I love maps.

Do you have to have downloaded the relevant maps for offline use for that to work? My  iPad has a data sim so I can download maps where there is mobile phone signal. The OS app is great. Aditi loves maps too. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

4 X 4 are rather de rigour here as we found when we had to towed the last 500m into the village by a kind neighbour.  The roads are generally kept clear by the departement (county) snow clearance teams but when it starts snowing on market day chaos ensues until they arrive.  It is an 8km (5 mile) drive down to market dropping 600m - 2000ft.  Coming back on uncleared snow can be interesting - hence the tow.

Sometimes however their efficiency in road clearance can work against you.   Some years ago while I was still working and planning to return to work in  Germany after the new Year celebrations, a bad snow storm was forecast over the weekend before I returned.  

Our drive drops at around 1:4 to a right angle bend between stone walls  and then climbs into the village.  Considering the forecast, I decided to park in the village square - along with many others with "interesting" access to the main road.   The snow came, as did the road clearance teams.  In under 12 hours the main road was clear.  However, because the snowfall had been so heavy (someone said that the drifts beyond us were up to 4m deep), instead of the usual plough they employed a snow blower to clear the roads.   A snow blower that buried all of the cars in the village square - for a whole week.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Sometimes however their efficiency in road clearance can work against you.   Some years ago while I w

Episode 2 is the same time next week.....

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

au 

13 minutes ago, polybear said:

Episode 2 is the same time next week.....

Indeed!;  I have a problem still getting used to this foreign keyboard.  Sometimes when I think I have hit the "a" key, it decides to post.  I assume that fat fingers means I have inadvertently hit a second key.  Full story now posted.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

No further muddlin' took place today - I went for the Hilly Wander instead (keeping well away from anyone, naturally; this also meant the traditional mid-wander pit stop was cancelled as well 😒).  That's the first time I've been further than 50 yards from Bear Towers since Monday of last week (the day I flew back from Lisbon).  2.7 miles - and by the time I was back at Bear Towers I certainly knew I'd done it, which is unusual; must be down to the Wooflu I reckon.

No further tests today - I'll do another in the morning;  I have an invite over to Buddy's house on Saturday afternoon for his younger Sister's Birthday - just a few family & friends for tea n' cake n' bikkies - so if the Wooflu hasn't buggered off by then (I want negative tests on Friday & Saturday to be sure) then I'll miss out, which will really p1ss me off.

ION.....

The Beeb are reporting that the Nutter (other words are available....) that *allegedly* murdered a Mother and two daughters** in Bushey on Tuesday has been captured.  Good.

**The Wife & two daughters of the BBC Racing Commentator John Hunt - VVVVSBT's to him & his family.

BG

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had another Crosta Mollica pizza for dinner this evening, I'd got it from the reduced to clear chiller in Tess Coes yesterday at virtually half price. Just realised that I've missed the first few programs of WDYTYA and I missed the end of the last series so now I'm catching up.

• Like 11