The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Tomorrow I will have completed 76 circuits of the sun. I am fortunate to be in pretty good nick for my age though mobility is a problem due to the arthritis. Got to go out to get some modelling tokens to spend at the toy fair also tomorrow.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

After a busy morning I've just emerged from an impromptu nap in front of the PC, not uncommon.  We're going out this evening to mark another circuit of the sun at a chain Italian restaurant in Eastleigh.  We haven't been before but it seems OK.  I have some strong French beers for later, thanks to Lidl.

Our MP survived the landslide, which was expected, despite some tactical voting.  Fortunately she is a good constituency MP (we met her about an issue) and on the sensible wing of her party. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon (but still pre-munch so I'd better get a wiggle on)

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

I've just been reading who's got what jobs in The New Team (how sad is that??)

Well it seems that our new Foreign Secretary (some bloke called David Lammy) once called the Orange One a "neo-Nazi sympathising sociopath".

I like him already....

Today?  Er, dunno......

I might have a search thru' various cupboards in the muddlin' room to see what I'm unlikely to need/use and bung it on the 'bay.  That's one maybe.

Another maybe is to restart work on something started at the last Missenden Abbey weekend......

And finally.....

Bear's magic number (as of this morning) is now 66.5Kg.  Whoopeesh1t - that's gotta be Bear's lightest for dozens of years**, literally.  Sadly I don't have any CF's to celebrate with.......

** And 1Kg lighter than before I went on hols - during which time the odd Pastel de Nata and Cornetto may have been sacrificed; I did walk something like 45 miles during the week though - and there's one or two hills (and a fair few steps) in Lisbon.  I call that a Tick.

BG

Yep, that's the priority

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

In a word yes. And eventually you will struggle to remember what day of the week it is.

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Remembering which day is aided by the calendar stamped pils I have to take each morning.

Me too.    Also helped by the dated, days of the week spreadsheet in the kitchen that lists all of the drugs, which days and when during the day to take them.   It's all very confusing.

The biggest problem though is remembering to look at the spreadsheet and strike out "the doses just taken"!

2 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

So, there is little definition between week day and week end.

That's true.     

ION

It's been very damp.

Sitting in the study I could hear the quiet tap - tap - tap every 40-60 seconds on the ceiling.      A trip to beamland was made to reveal water finding its way in at the end of the roof and running down the last rafter and dripping off onto the ceiling at various positions (where there is little insulation).    A temporary deflector plate was quickly made out of litho plate and attached to direct the drips into a bucket.    Next job is to send a photo to my "Roof man" and ask him to push the job of replacing the mortar bed for the end tiles that he had a look at a few weeks ago up to the top of his to-do list.

I did spruced-up the RD's nearside cylinder barrel yesterday.    I have to say, a quick wire brushing and a few squirts of VHT black paint make a huge difference
😀

Right, it's munch time

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Been away for a few days house/dog sitting for the daughter, it was that or go to the same family wedding they attended, I preferred dog walking and I'm not even a dog lover.

I am going to dismantle my railway in the summer house as it is getting no use at all. I moved from the loft as getting in and out was a chore, but going out to a cold shed in the rain is not proving to be a popular choice either, will I try something else, not sure yet, I shall just box things up and store for now and see if a new layout is desired. In other news the garden is keeping me busy.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

We got lucky, our hotel is almost opposite what seems to be the most highly regarded babi guling place in Bali, back of the net!!

For those who have never had it, babi guling is Balinese suckling pig, and one of the best pork dishes I have ever eaten, heavenly. I like the spicy version, the unfortunate side effect is it felt like I was urinating battery acid later but by George it was good (I  fear if they tried to sell it in Europe it'd go the way of buldak noodles, oh dear.......).

The place is jammed every time we look so we get takeaway, largely ethnic Chinese. I remember once being told by an NGO and a representative of the EC they were going to China to tell them to stop eating pork, my first thought was 'good luck with that', the Chinese (and indeed the Koreans) are obsessed with pork.

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

the Chinese (and indeed the Koreans) are obsessed with pork.

Aditi’s parents visited Bali on a “round the world” trip they made just after Aditi’s Dad retired. They didn’t mention any pork products. Being vegetarian, Aditi’s Dad was always concerned about what they would find to eat but he was confident that with Bali’s Hindu heritage he would be fine!  

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

They have loads of great vegetarian dishes in SE Asia, I could happily be vegetarian in this region. China too (despite the obsession with pork). We really don't eat that much meat and have a lot of vegetarian dishes. A big difference with home is that until 'impossible meat' type products started appearing it was rare to see vegetarian dishes pretending to be meat or as alternatives to meat. The food is unashamedly vegetarian and exists on its own merit as great food. However,  ersatz meat is increasingly common as an option in western restaurants especially, burgers seem to be the food they're really pushing for it.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I parked at the car park near the mid point of the beach and had a good walk this morning while the sun was still out.  It was about as busy as it ever really gets.  Pictures below.

By the time I'd had coffee the cloud had rolled in and there followed bits and pieces of rain on and off all afternoon.  As usual I had a look at some photos while I had my coffee.

After lunch I made a determined effort and finished Wassen church, one day it will need ab it of painting and weathering but I would prefer to wait until the whole village is ready to do so there is consistency.  It has only taken just over 6 months with a long gap while I got over the surgery and didn't feel like doing anything.  It should have taken a bit over a week at the most.

I've watched the Tour de France and will soon watch England play football.  Then there is nothing specific, I may listen to music and read or do puzzles.

s20240706_095405.jpg.e29a66abda41a8726aecaa1d49704bc5.jpg

Looking inland from the beach car park

s20240706_095728.jpg.4e22fbee1fe6232b525e4897202b916e.jpg

Beach, the coffee shop is a van at the car park

s20240706_095931.jpg.20478224869f70ae2b9be32bfa79b890.jpg

It was low tide so the beach was very big

s20240706_100120.jpg.6e98fb38053fd426e15bc73340f55dd9.jpg

Dunes and Links behind the beach

s20240706_101059.jpg.fdc47724c967642af62ce9e9a848f0c3.jpg

A busy beach - there are people if you look carefully.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

They have loads of great vegetarian dishes in SE Asia, I could happily be vegetarian in this region. China too (despite the obsession with pork). We really don't eat that much meat and have a lot of vegetarian dishes. A big difference with home is that until 'impossible meat' type products started appearing it was rare to see vegetarian dishes pretending to be meat or as alternatives to meat. The food is unashamedly vegetarian and exists on its own merit as great food. However,  ersatz meat is increasingly common as an option in western restaurants especially, burgers seem to be the food they're really pushing for it.

Definitely one of my bête noires.

With all that great vegetable based cuisines from around the world, why - for God’s sake - eat fake meat. Surely if ethical concerns are part of the reason of being a vegetarian then one should be consistent with one’s values. In a way it’s like a methadone addict proudly announcing that they aren’t heroin junkies…

Besides, such things are incredibly processed. These are the ingredients of a “plant based” sausage: Rehydrated Textured Vegetable Protein (46%) (Water, Soya Protein, Potato Starch, Wheat Gluten, Stabiliser: Dicalcium Phosphate; Wheat Starch), Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Onion, Rapeseed Oil, Seasoning (4%) [Yeast Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Herbs (Sage, Parsley), Fructose, White Pepper, Rusk (Wheat Flour (WheatFlour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamine), Salt, Raising Agent: Ammonium Carbonate)* Barley Malt Extract, Carrot Powder, Dried Leek, Sage Extract, Nutmeg Extract], Casing (Calcium Alginate), Tapioca Starch, Soya Protein, Stabiliser: Methylcellulose.

I’ve highlighted the ingredients that are processed.

But really folks, cellulose? Humans don’t even have the necessary gastric enzymes to digest cellulose.

I really enjoy vegetarian food - but the ersatz stuff that passes as “vegetarian” in most of Europe is pretty ghastly

* traditionally baking powder is made from cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate) plus sodium bicarbonate and cornstarch. No ammonia involved!

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

They have loads of great vegetarian dishes in SE Asia,

Aditi’s parents managed to go round the world and be vegetarian. This was before online travel guides so they were concerned but confident they would be ok. Also they set off clutching a load of paper tickets and hotel reservations. for their tour. The only problem they had was at Delhi airport where a gate agent tried to claim there was an “irregularity “ with their ticket. Mil wasn’t having that and complained vigorously in Hindi about how she could travel round the world without a problem except for India. They got upgraded. 
Aditi accompanied her parents to Sweden, they were self catering but found a pizza place when they were on a day out somewhere remote. The pizza place was run by a Turk who didn’t speak English, or German . Aditi’s Mum did her usual (very irritating) thing of slowly speaking English at high volume, while Aditi went to get the Berlitz book from the car. Aditi then remembered  the Turkish word for vegetables (similar to the Punjabi word) and ordered vegetable pizza. 

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I always wondered how that came about. 

Slavery - mostly. The Electoral College is an artifact of the "three-fifths" compromise. Southern states had their representative population (counting towards House seats and Electoral College votes) increased by adding a number equal to three-fifths of the enslaved population to the free population.

There was a component of not trusting the general vote and having 'responsible' electors make the final vote. Election of a President by the people was a new concept in the late 18th century - places that had them often were elected by the legislature - not entirely unlike the Prince-Electors of the Holy Roman Empire.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I think PR would definitely change the political landscape. It would marginalise  the extremists and ideologues - as they would go and form their own “ideologically pure” parties,

Nope. It empowers them. Australia has had preferential voting for a long time. It results in the fringe candidates being elected to relatively high office - like the Senate. They don't get enough votes to form a government themselves, but they can (occasionally) be in a position with incredible power where they are the last vote needed to form a coalition government.

It has happened.

Plus if people think voting is a chore now, wait until they see filling out preferential votes. (Australia eventually relaxed the requirements.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

Well clicking on the links of the 12 ( yes a whole 12 objectors to the current vaccines) "professionals(?)" to see the real backgrounds of these individuals, seems to come up with a lot of 404 page not found messages.

I would ignore it as junk.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The Titanic was unsinkable, it merely suffered a negative bouyancy event.

Is that like British Airways’ once famously reporting a negative profit?

Erm….you didn’t happen to work for a bunch of UK bank’s PR departments in around 2008 did you? 

Edited by Grizz
Missed words n stuff
  • Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Well clicking on the links of the 12 ( yes a whole 12 objectors to the current vaccines) "professionals(?)" to see the real backgrounds of these individuals, seems to come up with a lot of 404 page not found messages.

I was dubious too , but checking the Snopes de-bunking site shows no

entry of this , it may be to new also , so for now I'll keep an open mind .

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I was dubious too , but checking the Snopes de-bunking site shows no

entry of this , it may be to new also , so for now I'll keep an open mind .

May be in the wacky and wierd category. See the comments on this link

https://lionessofjudah.substack.com/p/hundreds-of-doctors-and-scientists/comments?utm_source=post&utm_medium=web&triedRedirect=true

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

John , knowing your Covid work on the blog I wonder if you have come across this

petition ?  May interest @iL Dottore too .

https://thehopeaccord.org/

Hmmm!

1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Most definitely (although I managed to find more than 12 signees by slowly scrolling  down, although nothing as extensive as claimed [by a country mile])

I looked at the list of “medical” signees, even IF one IS charitable and considers all the < 404 page not found > as temporary glitches, the ones listed certainly don’t have the necessary qualifications to make any expert judgements.

There were NO

• Virologists
  • Immunologists
  • Epidemiologists

Not to mention statisticians, clinical pharmacologists and so on…..

I’ve posted the rough stats on vaccine related adverse events before, so I’ll simply say that if the same amount of people had received a therapeutic dose of aspirin as have received the CoVID vaccine, you’d be looking at a hell of a lot more serious adverse events and excess deaths than ever seen with the vaccines.

“Well Dodgy” as they’d say on Minder 

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. 

3 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Looks like the work of a bunch of religious wack jobs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4