The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Oh, the 'Oops - crash' in the merch engineering branch looks like this:

11954832_1108870359141585_6398294766691311404_n.jpg.097428a088398b752cc6652f951c80a1.jpg

Bet that made a bang.

Apparently a test bed failure before installation in a ship, bolt holding the bottom end cap on failed due to poor steel quality.  Back to JJB's job!

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh, the 'Oops - crash' in the merch engineering branch looks like this:

11954832_1108870359141585_6398294766691311404_n.jpg.097428a088398b752cc6652f951c80a1.jpg

Bet that made a bang.

Apparently a test bed failure before installation in a ship, bolt holding the bottom end cap on failed due to poor steel quality.  Back to JJB's job!

I wonder what the rest of the engine looked like when this happened?

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

When I joined the Police there were very few people with degrees and I  was a rare creature with science A levels.  By the time I left degrees were commonplace and then became compulsory but fortunately that has been relaxed.   I was however able to retire on a good pension some `15 years before the rest of my cohort at Uni.

Jamie

My niece has just graduated from Derby with a first class degree and has applied for the police force. All her tutors are expecting her to return to study for a Masters but she’s in two minds. She’s anxious to start earning but she’s been told a Masters will open more doors. 
Some things can wait while others may slip away. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

No election for me.

I asked Mrs NHN about the deciphering of bar code country of origins on dairy products - turns out I was only slightly wide of the mark, it is in a little oval next to the bar code, it was an EU thing so may not feature now on home produce.  She then could make an educated guess as to the supplying diary by knowing the products, she dealt with an awful lot of them!

re the comment about Peel Ports having a lot of money? Yeah for sure, the owner lives here and is the richest man on the island, and that's saying something.  Whittaker.

My career began as JJB's with the same qualifications, and for 7 years followed that career path until a big crisis in the merch led to redundancy.  A rather convoluted path since has involved ending up with an unlikely HR degree and professional membership of the CIPD although it was just the IPD then, and working in HR, then in departmental management in the NHS.  Running away from that brought me here, a brief time as a Sub-postmaster, then back in HR for Social Services, then got head-hunted for the Youth Justice Team office Manager job (bad HR practice!), then retired form the and worked with pal JB running Trackshack.  I did the engineering stuff with the garden railway locomotives and therefore back to career number one!

Peel are well known for being able to get blood out of a stone. Extremely and I mean extremely tight fisted when it comes to any negotiations. They have been trying since 2017/18 to get UU. So that just shows how determined they are. They have had countless goes at getting various planning rulings overturned so that they can build on it. Interesting fact the land that RHS Bridgemere sits on is leased from them and I can guarantee that once that lease is up Peel will want the land as it's in a prime development spot.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

My niece has just graduated from Derby with a first class degree and has applied for the police force. All her tutors are expecting her to return to study for a Masters but she’s in two minds. She’s anxious to start earning but she’s been told a Masters will open more doors. 
Some things can wait while others may slip away. 

What I would say is the best of luck to her.  I worked with some very good officers with degrees and also some poor ones.  The Same was true for officers with no qualifications.  What mattered more were people skills and strength of character.  For me it was an immensely rewarding job that I look back on with pride. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

What I would say is the best of luck to her.  I worked with some very good officers with degrees and also some poor ones.  The Same was true for officers with no qualifications.  What mattered more were people skills and strength of character.  For me it was an immensely rewarding job that I look back on with 

Ride. 

Jamie

She’d rather apply to Derbyshire Constabulary but they are not recruiting at the moment so she’s applied to South Yorkshire. It seems quite a long selection process, her first contact was probably in May and she won’t find out if she’s been accepted until late August I believe. I have suggested to her Mum, (my sister)  that she might try the Special Contabulary while completing her masters so getting the best of both worlds. 
She is very keen on team sports (studying some sort of sports medicine/training/fitness degree) and loves the camaraderie that it brings and I think this is what she sees in the police force and I’m pretty sure she’ll find it there.

She is under no pressure from anyone in the family but we all want to be sure she’s fully aware of her options.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Apart from this morning’s shopping trip, there’s not much hon on here. The boiler cupboard has been cleared of stuff which we store in there, so the service engineer has room to work. I finished fitting Kadee couplings to another truck. That was finished just before dinner. After dinner, Charlie call round, but as he’d not been round for about 4 weeks, he decided that he’d just sit and chat with us both, so the workshop never got visited. Still, it was nice to catch up, he told us all about his trip to Donnington and the Download festival. He enjoyed it so much, he’s looking forward to when the tickets become available for next year’s show, so that he can book it again. Although, he says he thinks he’ll wait until the the list of acts is published first. 

I left school in ‘72 and never went to university, instead I got an apprenticeship, with that came 4 years of college. When I changed jobs in ‘90, I was given the chance to go back to college. I did another 6 years, gaining an ONC, HNC and an HND in electrical and electronic engineering. 

I also did many courses through my employer, the best one was becoming a class A1 assessor, this qualification was recognised outside of the gas industry. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny Charente.  Most of you will soon have a new PM. Here we are due to get a new one on Sunday but under a different system. 

Various jobs to do this morning then  after lunch I've got a pass out to go trainspotting.  Rather a good prospect. 

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Not only do they harvest coffee beans from animal turds in Indonesia,  they then charge a fortune for the privilege, shocking. 

20240705_125810.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

It's a bit like the last week of June 1916 on the Somme here - though most of it is distant, it has been going on for the better part of an hour. There's not a lot actually in the neighbourhood which is a reprieve.

Meanwhile three of six broadcast television stations are broadcasting fireworks shows. I don't understand the point of this. Televised fireworks is tedious.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Well, this country seems to be more broken than ever.

I hope it's not counted as politics to say that I was shocked by what Jess Phillips said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/jess-phillips-heckled-during-election-29480160

It seems things have got worse in the years since Jo Cox was murdered.

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

Well, this country seems to be more broken than ever.

I hope it's not counted as politics to say that I was shocked by what Jess Phillips said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/jess-phillips-heckled-during-election-29480160

It seems things have got worse in the years since Jo Cox was murdered.

It's worrying. Whether or not we agree with the outcome is irrelevant provided the election followed process. That doesn't mean we have to be happy about it, or that people can't work for a different result next time but once people decide when they will or won't accept results then we will very quickly go down a very deep hole. Society is so polarised, and so many now consider those holding different views as morally wrong rather than just people with a different opinion.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold

Slept well last night, went to bed just after the soothsayers had predicted a Red Party landslide and woke to find that they had predicted more or less correctly.

All I can say is that it wasn't my fault!

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I've been up all night watching the election results waiting for my own constituency results. I might as well have gone to bed as even now at 07:20 they're still counting. I've had breakfast so now I going to bed.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Ey up!

I have been informed that I shall be watching the clothes dry in case it rains.. lummy! Does this count as a promotion??

So it could be a muddling day then... yippppppeeeeedddddoooo!!

Time to get myself organised.. TTFN!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The depressing thing about yesterday is that 40% or so of the eligible "citizens" couldn't be bothered to get off their arses and vote.  Its not difficult to do, and even if you've other things to do on the day, alternatives to attending a polling station are available.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

WooFlu continues to be the gift that keeps on giving; if only I knew what B'sterd gave me the gift then I could give something back in return......

There may be a Rant there.....

Well it seems that it's half-time and The Big House Teams are swapping ends.  Now we'll get to see if those that "talk the talk" can actually "walk the walk" - I've a fair suspicion that they might not find it quite so easy after all.

Today?  MIUABGAD; I've still got to clear all the dross out of Mickey prior to collection by the Fixit Team on Monday. so that could be one mission.  The reminder to give the various stop-valves** in Bear Towers their periodic (3-monthly) wiggle has also popped up on Larry the Laptop, so that's something else to add to today's fun list as well.

**Some of which will require an expedition into Beamland.

Right, time to wriggle

Bear gone....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The depressing thing about yesterday is that 40% or so of the eligible "citizens" couldn't be bothered to get off their arses and vote.  Its not difficult to do, and even if you've other things to do on the day, alternatives to attending a polling station are available.

I suspect the vast majority of those fall into the "they're all as bad as each other - so what's the point??" camp.

I've got a lot of sympathy with that - I wasn't that far off myself.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4