The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I need something to be outraged over, things have been going downhill lately. I played with some model trains before and they all looked good and worked, defeating the whole point of model trains as an object to drive enthusiasts into paroxysms of rage over having the wrong number of rivets or something. We went out for lunch, and disgracefully the service and food were both excellent, I'm afraid Marche by Movenpick completely failed in providing an excuse to see the red mist. I was re-reading Holger Herwig's history of the central powers in WW1 and it was dreadfully insightful, informative and with first class analysis, utterly pointless. At this rate I might have to go onto some news websites or (shudder) the BBC to get my fix of outrage. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

12 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I need something to be outraged over, things have been going downhill lately. I played with some model trains before and they all looked good and worked, defeating the whole point of model trains as an object to drive enthusiasts into paroxysms of rage over having the wrong number of rivets or something. We went out for lunch, and disgracefully the service and food were both excellent, I'm afraid Marche by Movenpick completely failed in providing an excuse to see the red mist. I was re-reading Holger Herwig's history of the central powers in WW1 and it was dreadfully insightful, informative and with first class analysis, utterly pointless. At this rate I might have to go onto some news websites or (shudder) the BBC to get my fix of outrage. 

Create a throwaway email address and sign up for email updates from Reform UK? 🤔

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

A Accounts accounted, but there's a small error I can't account for.. after a long time going round in circles gave up as head was spinning.

Ben not surprisingly was not taken on his long walk , but he is moving much better than he was. Especial if food is possible.

Worked on a unit of unmentionables, unfortunately glued and nailed which makes life difficult for alterations, another couple of hours work  to turn it from a single unit into three piece suite.

• Friendly/supportive 18

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

I would avoid the one on an American "biscuit".. tried that.. not a fan..

Seems like their is a lot of muffins exported from England...some turn out to be nothing like a muffin except being made from some form of bread mix.

In the US "biscuits" are savory scones. Other than variations (like the use of buttermilk or the amount of sugar*) there is essentially no difference.

* British scones likely have more as biscuits are used mostly for savory applications.

The American biscuit is an English baking tradition imported during the colonial era.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

Not long back from an extra day volunteering at the N.T. at short notice so apologies if I’m a little behind.

A local eatery does a Craster and a Scottish Benedict.  Both are rare treats indeed.

• Like 17

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

elsewhere on the menu there were statements about perceived health implications of certain ingredients seemingly for US  travellers

Tony, you'll note the asterisk on all the egg dishes in my post with the different "Eggs Benedict" offerings. It leads to a footnote warning about the dangers of eating undercooked eggs.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Well I’m now ensconced in front of the home cinema widescreen with Mrs iD watching (or in my case ignoring) the tedious pre-match talking heads. Hopefully the match will begin soon (soonest started, soonest ended).

Now as Mrs iD is quite sporty, I gently tapped her ankle with my foot - no reaction. So I tapped her again, this time a little harde, she snapped at me “what the hell do you think you’re doing?”

I simply replied “I couldn’t remember if you played football or not. Clearly not. A gentle tap om the ankle and you’re NOT rolling around on the ground, grabbing your ankle and screaming in pain. Definitely not footballer material”

She was not amused.

You got it wrong Flavio.  According to the fount of all sporting knowledge, who is next to me on the couch, it is only males who do the writhing in agony routine. The female soccer players don't. 

You were lucky to avoid a nasty injury I think.  Just remember that your misdeeds will NEVER be forgotten. 

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 9

16 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

it is only males who do the writhing in agony routine. The female soccer players don't. 

This is quite observable in the US NWSL (National Women's Soccer League). Their players take pride in being 'badazz' and rarely display the histrionics that plague the male version of the sport.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The "Labradoodle and Influencer" should be a bigger draw in the right neighbourhood than something like the "Rat and Ferret".

A new pub here was opened with the name “The Frog and Nightgown”. I have no idea why. It became just “The Frog” and is now closing. (Redevelopment cycles can be really short around here!)

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

7 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Perhaps in a few years we will have some 'The Bear and Doctor' pubs? They could be interesting signs.  

Has someone got an insider at Companies House?

Bear and Doctor (Holdings) LLC is a new joint venture between @polybear and @iL Dottore  BaD LLC is targeting the market with a two prong approach. Pubs called Bear and Doctor will address the needs of the more downmarket segment providing decent quality lagers and lemonades at competitive prices with an innovative menu curated by @polybear, including (what we hope to be) the famous “baked bean of the week” (baked beans prepared in different ways - such with sausages or chicken wings or shrimp [curly fries £2.50 extra] and served piping hot from the oven in its own cast iron pot). Selected Bear and Doctor pubs will also have proper pizza ovens installed and will serve just one type of Pizza: the Loaded for Bear pizza (sausage, ham, salami, shrimp or chicken three cheeses - including mozzarella & curly fries with baked beans on the side])

Pubs called Doctor and Bear will target the gastropub market. Depending upon location Doctor and Bear will either serve a classic and simple pub snack menu (such a ploughman’s platter, pickled eggs, Scotch eggs and sausage rolls [all of the very best quality, of course]) or a full Gastropub menu focussing only on classic British dishes - such as fagg0ts and gravy, sausage and mash and “proper” [i.e. pastry top and bottom] pies). A full range of CAMRA approved Ales, Stouts, Porters and Beers will be served. 

ERs can get a 25% discount by using the code CURLYFRIES at a Bear and Doctor pub or the code ARTISANAL at a Doctor and Bear pub.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I need something to be outraged over

I have something that will send you into paroxysms of rage: 

FAKE PIES

Pies that pretend to be pies, but in reality are nothing but a pretentious stew wearing a pastry hat.

REAL pies have pastry top and bottom…

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Speaking of Border Terriers and accounts:  A couple of years ago a company here launched Colins Pale Ale, a beer for dogs.

image.png.774d6ccd7eb70bca171937ec84f9e00f.png

It was in conjunction with the series "Colin From Accounts" and was actual beer for dogs, brewed from bone broth. I'm not sure how many people made that mistake....

ACtually "Colin From Accounts" is  worth a watch  if it is shown there. The first ep is not the strongest but after that its probably the best comedy series to ever feature a Border Terrier, and the second best TV show from Australia that has dogs in it.

Yes it’s available in the UK on the BBC iPlayer. 
Thought it might be something to watch with SWMBO. Well after the first scene SWMBO was disgusted and as I carried on watching I got the evil eye so decided to call it a day. Must admit it was a bit OTT but would have liked to watch it for the doggy story but a bit too laddish (or Aussie?) I do like adult humour but perhaps I’m getting too old for this sort.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

First stage of the T de F watched on and off and enjoyed, particularly the finish.  Some riders struggling already after the first climbs, no names mentioned in case anyone wants to watch highlights etc.

Chicken 'n' chips* tonight all lovingly air fried by me, well somebodything called Cosori did the actual frying but I loaded it, switched it on and gave things a shake  etc.  

* Straight(ish) fries actually, not those bent things beloved by a certain bear.  No booze tonight, trying to be a good boy and keep my units down so not drinking every day.

Time to don the headphones for some loud music.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Avocado Benedict.. no thanks.. why eat a piece of green putty with your eggs? 

Bear has just “discovered” Avocado - in the last few days in fact, bunged in a veggie burger.  I’d say it has promise enough for Bear to investigate further….

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

You were lucky to avoid a nasty injury I think.  Just remember that your misdeeds will NEVER be forgotten. 

Jamie 

wife:  “Do you like my nails like this, or do you think I need to make them longer?”

husband:  “Do you want the truth, or the husband answer?”

wife:  “Why do you have to be such a smart ass?”

husband:  “Do you want the truth or the husband answer??”

wife:  “I know….I know….I know you’re gonna p1ss me off!  Give me the husband answer”

husband:  “Looks amazing the way it is, love it”

wife:  “Thank you, thank you!”

wife:  “Give me the truth”

husband:  “I don’t give a f**k”

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 10

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

A TERRIBLE DILEMMA!

Tonight Switzerland play Italy at the footie.

I’m torn about which team to feel supremely indifferent about…..

So which was it?

I see the Swiss are on a Roll....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

You don't read the Daily Mail then?

• Like 2
  • Funny 11