The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Temperature is now 26C inside and out and I'm melting. I was going to Tess Coes this afternoon but now I'll leave it till later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Hurrah!

My Postal Voting Pack has just arrived!

Opened, candidate selected, signed etc, components placed in appropriate envelopes and sealed!

Doesn't the glue taste foul, especially on envelope A?

Edited by Hroth
Update
  • Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Its too late to post mine today, the Mumsrun is in full swing and I'm not venturing out into that flock of lemmings!  I'll pop out early tomorrow to post it, when its still cool and they're all curled up in their nests.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I sent my vote off on Monday, whether it'll reach Milton Keynes in time I've no idea but at least I can say I voted.

Postal votes take priority so it should be OK. I've had a postal vote for over fifty years. At one time you had to have a special reason before you were given a postal vote, in my case I worked on the polls issuing the ballot forms and as I lived in another borough I had to have a postal vote. There was only one occasion where I was able to cast my vote at the same polling station I worked at and that was for the GLC leader in the late 70's. I sent my postal vote off a couple of weeks ago. Incidentally you can apply for a postal vote at any time, not just at election time.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Changed spark plug on mower, ran for a lap and a half up and down the garden. Then cut out,  I've now ordered carburetor parts, and found on looking at manuals  need torx sockets to get the darn thing off.. also ordered.

I've now done three long breaks with a mow and a bit between.

Next time it stops it's be worth checking that you've still got a spark.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Took Ben for his long walk, he wouldn't leave without his lead on, I suspect he's getting more insecure as his cataracts develop. As it was we only did 400 yards before he said it as too hot. So we came back.

He was flat out by the window again, while I Pottered about loading the tumble dryer , got a pork pie out of the fridge... And he as there, nothing wrong with his hearing or nose.

Has Ben had his ears lowered lately - that'll cool him down.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

• Like 15

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Princess Anne seems have been attacked by one yesterday. 

The global equine conspiracy. @Grizz has related such tales of malevolence from his Kentish(?) 'field ornaments'. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

18 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

We're off to Bali for a week on Monday. Frankly after the last three weeks the last thing I want to do is fly again, but the domestic authorities are merciless, the iron fist in the iron glove. Oh well, I'm hoping to do some diving with the daughter.

How long does that take? Three hours? 

A mere trifle compare with your regular flights. It will be over before you know it and you can soon the throngs of drunken Aussie bachelor's/hen's parties and sports teams, though it's still mid-season for most of the 'football' varieties.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The global equine conspiracy. @Grizz has related such tales of malevolence from his Kentish(?) 'field ornaments'. 

Kentish?🤔

Depends on which side of the Medway they're on! 🤪

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Chewsday...

Nothing to report from yesterday, just another day of sun - sorta, since I was working all day - I saw it was sunny OUTSIDE all day at least.

Jemma popped over for some jars for whatever purpose, she's concocting something in her kitchen!

Today, working <yawn>, Mrs off at noon for some art museum gig with friends. Also, I need to gather card(s) etc., to prep for the Mrs birthday tomorrow.

Was 21c first thing, sunny and humid, headed for 29c outside, whilst it'll be a very acceptable 20c in the house...

Onward.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Sounds like a life & death emergency to me…..

Could be, could be....

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It would be an emergency if PB discovered that he had an SWMBO in such circumstances. 

Jamie

I'd say so....

bearintrouble.jpg.a7a639325ee908985bf8d46ec45156ee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

Hmmm, all this talking about voting, has reminded me to check if my voting package has arrived. I ordered it especially from CCI GmbH (Motto "make YOUR vote count").

It contains

• 1 pike
  • 3 assorted scythes and sickles
  • 1 tumbril
  • 1 easy to assemble portable guillotine
  • 1 tricoteuse

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

It's about 21 outside and cloudy but feels very humid, more so inside the house than outside, but it is only 24 inside.

I went and took some photos of electrical and diesel powered things this morning from the local field at Damdykes.  The grasspaths have not been cut this year so it is all getting very overgrown.  I suspect it is "someones" idea of conservation and helping wildlife, in a couple more years it will be saplings and blackberries, most of the orchids have already gone.  It was quite difficult to take photos as the plants are head high in most of it. I did see a butterfly, probably a small skipper, photo at end of post.  There were fewer other flowers than there used to be.

I was home for coffee then I worked on the photos and prepared for my phone call with the bank this afternoon.  It went well, I will not be talking to the banks investment advisors - even if there was enough money to be worth investing at my age I would be unlikely to show any profit before I might need to spend it for  holidays on my care!  The person I spoke to agreed, so the bank will not be getting fees from me.

I've also done some gardening, a few plants staked and the roses fed and some more deadheading.

The last two trips I've had out, today and last Friday have been the first ones I've really enjoyed since last summer.  I felt much more relaxed.

sBSC_8780Damdykessmallskipper.jpg.b4c34db84d51b92d75af39d5a8f5e85d.jpg

BSC_8780 Damdykes  small skipper

David

Edited by DaveF
To remove a duplicate image caused by an RMweb error as the image would not upload first time.
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Bear here….

Well it seems the Red Team have been “at it” too 🤣 - one of their players has been making naughty bets as well.

Not on the date this time though - it seems he placed a bet that he’d LOSE his cushy little number (IIUC).

Six plod have been naughty as well.

We’re all DOOMED…..

BG….

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

My Postal Voting Pack has just arrived!

Opened, candidate selected, signed etc, components placed in appropriate envelopes and sealed!

Doesn't the glue taste foul, especially on envelope A?

Yes to parts 1 and 2. 

I placed sticky tape on my envelopes so I cannot answer for part 3. 

And then - as if by magic - there was a knock at the door. We have already had the orangey-yellow party round and as the only credible opposition here is the darker-blue party (who currently hold the seat) it was very probably them 

And thus it proved to be. Before the introductions were done I was on the front foot with “I’m a postal voter - the papers are already in the mail. Good evening”. 

At which point the door was firmly closed in their faces. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Most phones, if switched off, will “wake up” if touched or moved and display a start-up screen. 

Depending upon how you set your phone up this may ask for a passcode, voice, eye or finger-print recognition before anything else will work. 

Except that by law and international agreements there is always an option to make an emergency call. That will always work provided there is any signal at all. There will be enough power if the screen lights up - any phone must retain enough battery reserve for that even if it has run down to 0% and shut itself off. 

Dialling is not required. Simply selecting the “emergency call” button on screen (which may display as “SOS” or other similar meaning) will connect to the nearest emergency services operator. The phone will boost signal strength to the maximum possible and will transmit its location. 

Those settings cannot be over-ridden. 

You can, of course, also dial 999 or 112 (in the UK) and most phones also have an automated “connect to emergency services” function without making any call. On mine that is pressing and holding the “on/off” button and either of the “volume” buttons opposite. Some phones will connect if violently shaken - I have disabled that on mine - allowing another covert option to call for help if under direct threat of harm. 

I have not seen any figures but I understand that, with all of these different, simple ways to make an emergency call, the number of ‘false’ calls has noticeably increased. The android update that made an emergency call after five presses of the on/off button was particularly vexatious. In many cases the caller is not even aware of having made the call at the time.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, BoD said:

How do we know which electrons are yours?

Well there aren’t any now, we have just stopped exporting while the dishwasher runs. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

And don’t fellow ER’ers qualify for a discount?

I think once it leaves here Eon Next do all the selling. Nowadays the payments for exports from domestic properties are nothing like the amount they were when domestic solar power was “new”. We get 16.5p per kWh we export. It was 3p last  year (other tariffs are available!) 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Postal vote accomplished; oh, the pleasures of premature election! 🤭 

I note the blue-hued candidate was the only one not shewn as residing in the Constituency; he would seem to prefer the attractions of Chatham in Kent, a mere 245 miles and 5 hours drive distant; handy for surgeries and visits to local events, not! 🙄 

I expect his prospective candidacy parachute has been provided by "the central totally hopeless office". 🤡

Edited by Debs.
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

It seems the Big River have sneakily upped their minimum spend to £35 for free delivery (was £25) - though if there’s a tenner’s worth of books (with or without other stuff) it’s still free.

’sterds; things must be gettin’ tough for them….

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7