The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Question of the day. 

Quite unrelated to the effects of the saddle upon the anatomy 😇🤣

And - lest anyone should suspect deliberate use of the double-entendre - the term refers  to that most debilitating condition experienced by many of just running out of steam. 

Marathon runners hit the wall. Hikers and cyclists bonk. It’s the same phenomenon. And one I too suffered from as a touring cyclist back in the Jurassic Era. 

Bread pudding worked wonders. I learned never to set off for the day without some. 

IMG_7006.png.701aff994f35a5319f064f44acb9e915.png

Too frightened to ask..... 🫣

......not sure I want to know anyway!!! 🤯

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, pH said:

Something similar happened to me yesterday. I was sitting on a bench outside a shop in a “country market” - lots of craft shops, cafes etc. and very busy. As I got up to leave, I saw a cellphone lying on the bench a few feet away, with nobody near it. So I took it into the shop, told them where I’d found it and left it with them. I think it would be a pretty forlorn hope that the owner would remember everywhere (s)he been in the market, though. Probably the best thing would be that they would phone their own number, hoping someone answers.

The other option (if the phone isn’t locked) is to phone someone in the contacts list and say “do you know the person who’s phone this is - if so I’ve left it in this shop” (but don’t phone their mobile to tell them - or send them a text….🤣)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

The other option (if the phone isn’t locked) is to phone someone in the contacts list and say “do you know the person who’s phone this is - if so I’ve left it in this shop” (but don’t phone their mobile to tell them - or send them a text….🤣)

Hopefully the phone owner will have a friend with a phone and use whatever “find my phone” option they have. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, polybear said:

The other option (if the phone isn’t locked)

Various useful phone apps only work on a phone with a lock installed so I suspect most are now?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

There was an article in "i" newspaper today (it was a freebie) saying that the UK sold £26bn worth of UK military (and related) equipment to China last year.  It made China the biggest destination for military-related equipment globally in 2023, despite The Big House imposing an Arms Embargo on the country, which came into effect in May 2022.

But apparently the ban only applies to complete weapon platforms, lethal weapons and components for lethal weapons, so it's ok after all.

It seems that items such as: ballistic test equipment, components for helmets and technology for weapon night sights doesn't count; we granted licences for more than 100 different types of military-related equipment to be sold to China

Nothing to worry about after all then....

FFS.

There may be a Rant there....

BG

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Looked out about twenty minutes ago and saw a brilliant sunset, to be more accurate the afterglow as the sun was already below the horizon. There was an orange-red  band just above the horizon. I went downstairs to fetch my phone to take a snap but by the time I got back it had gone.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, polybear said:

It seems that items such as: ballistic test equipment, components for helmets and technology for weapon night sights doesn't count;

The components for all the above probably came from Aliexpress anyway…

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

We went to RHS Bridgewater today, the weather was warm and sunny, so the shade from the trees in the woodland area was very welcome indeed. 

Warning, RANT alert! 

We had originally planned to go tomorrow, but Royal Mail said they wanted to deliver a package on Tuesday, so we changed our visit to today. Imagine the surprise we had when we got home, there on the door mat, was a red card from Royal Mail, stating that they’d delivered our package this morning and it was in the ‘blue’ recycling bin! What’s the point of saying you intend to call on Tuesday, but call on Monday, without giving us notice? Fecking ejits! Needles to say, our feedback reflected our dismay! 

At least they left it. What would have been worse would have them saying come and collect it from your sorting office.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Various useful phone apps only work on a phone with a lock installed so I suspect most are now?

On my phone it allows you to make emergency calls. Quite how it figures out what an emergency call is I haven't figured out, but then again I am a bit of a luddite.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, southern42 said:

After lunch...no big yellow ball in the sky out to play...

not until 4.30 when I downed tools and went down to my little hideaway <<er...no it isn't>>

somebody had been out with the shears the other side of the fence...

I sat with my back to the fence anyway, with headphones on and listened to some relaxing music while playing mahjong on the 'phone. Kids next door home from school descended - why do they screeeeam all the time when playing? - I don't ever recall it in my day, or our kids' day. Not to worry....I have some better quality headphones on order....

Looks like the pine cone pundits are presenting us with sun in and out of cloud all week. Light wind from the north and low pollen levels. 

Rather than better headphones what about a twelve bore. You could solve both problems no screaming- moans yes and cries of pain but no screaming, and even better no repeats the following day.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The components for all the above probably came from Aliexpress anyway…

Buy them for 50p…sell them back at fifty grand.  Seems fair.

5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

At least they left it. What would have been worse would have them saying come and collect it from your sorting office.

What would’ve been worse would be a Deltic getting nicked out of the blue box.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 9
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, grandadbob said:

A'noon.

Still sunny and warm here but no movement on parcels, delivery or collection.

Whilst sitting around I've been trying to find and delete duplicate photos on my laptop as things seem to have got in "a bit of a mess " and that's putting it mildly.  Just wondered if anyone can recommend any free duplicate photo finder software for Windows 11?

If you find one I would be interested as I am currently transferring files to Windows 11.  A voyage of discovery after exiting S mode. 

10 hours ago, Debs. said:

Too frightened to ask..... 🫣

......not sure I want to know anyway!!! 🤯

Oh you lightweight Debs.  Go on you really do want to know, 

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, pH said:

The disorienting effect of a highly-polished tile floor:

IMG_2787.jpeg.73886abe84740a3221ddfe53c7386aa1.jpeg

"......and to think, he'd only just come from the hospital!" 🤕 🙃