The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

It seems the she was driving (a Merc hire car, whilst her own was being fixed after an accident) was favoured by “Chemists” - and that was their only reason for following her.  Must’ve been a quiet night…..

Mines a 10 plate Vito.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s slightly overcast at the moment, but we are due a lot of sunshine later on. The plans for today are a walk, either at Dunham Massey or RHS Bridgewater, management hasn’t made up their mind yet! Then I'll be completing the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix later this afternoon. There is nothing planned for the evening, so a bit of catching up on recorded stuff from the TV might be the order of the day (evening). 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. It was so hot and sticky last night I didn't get off to sleep until after two this morning. It was too hot last night for a bath so I'm about to run one this morning before it gets too hot.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I assume a reference to captain Pugwash where  the characters have been renamed.

Roger the cabin boy was actually called Tom.

Likewise Master Bates was actually named Master Mate.

But good fun nevertheless

I wondered about Swallows and Amazons, with Swallow's 'cabin boy' Roger Walker. Another book/series where it's best not spell the AB's name, it's probably one the filter would object to and it's too early on Monday morning to go on the naughty step. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I just noticed a configuration error with the bird feeding station I put up the other day.  The accessories included rings for an open seed tray and for a mini water bath.  I mounted one of the rings as I thought it would be a useful perch for the little birds waiting their turn at the feeders.

I realised my mistake when I looked out yesterday evening to see a fat bluddy pigeon sitting on the ring, plundering a feeder that was handily within reach.  Anyhow, this morning I repositioned the ring so the sods couldn't reach the feeder.  Hah!  Foiled you!

As I did the repositioning, I found myself humming...

🎶🎶

Edited by Hroth
spelin, beleeve it or knot...
  • Like 11
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

A'noon.

Still sunny and warm here but no movement on parcels, delivery or collection.

Whilst sitting around I've been trying to find and delete duplicate photos on my laptop as things seem to have got in "a bit of a mess " and that's putting it mildly.  Just wondered if anyone can recommend any free duplicate photo finder software for Windows 11?

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The US continues to be a 'melting pot' as they say. It is a strength, not a liability.

Unless you are a 'Karen ' often seen on Youtube screaming at some obvious ethnic minority  to ,

''go back to your own country '' while conveniently forgetting that somewhere in their past are

immigrant ancestors, but of course that ' does not mean me ' .

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Question of the day. 

Quite unrelated to the effects of the saddle upon the anatomy 😇🤣

And - lest anyone should suspect deliberate use of the double-entendre - the term refers  to that most debilitating condition experienced by many of just running out of steam. 

Marathon runners hit the wall. Hikers and cyclists bonk. It’s the same phenomenon. And one I too suffered from as a touring cyclist back in the Jurassic Era. 

Bread pudding worked wonders. I learned never to set off for the day without some. 

IMG_7006.png.701aff994f35a5319f064f44acb9e915.png

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

….then went through my shirts and decided that the time has come to part with some of them.  They are no longer suitable for a charity shop so they have gone in the bin along with the very old kitchen curtains.

Charities sometimes make money selling rag - might be worth asking.

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Very nice piece of kit with plenty of "unnecessary" clever bits, including a HUD (heads-up-display). I did ask why it didn't show altitude, pitch/bank and rate-of climb but was quickly admonished 🤣🤣

I’d feel a lot happier about such extras if they had 20 year warranties, or when they do go wrong the car still works quite happily.

Getting spares for such things tends to be (a) bluddy expensive, or (b) nigh on impossible due to obsolescence in the leccy components industry.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Managed to get the bath in this morning before it got too hot. Fortunately my bedroom is on the cooler (north) side of the house and was only at 21C. However it hit 26C this afternoon, the same as the outside temperature  It's predicted to reach 28 over the next few days.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Filling up with petrol at a station where there is no kiosk - you have to put in your card to pay and access fuel.

Noticed someone had left their debit card in the slot.

Got my fuel and paid OK.

Should I leave the debit card on top of the pump - hoping the person realised they'd left it there - or take it with me and ring the number on the card? Decided to do the latter.

Chap was very helpful on the phone. He said I'd done the right thing, rather that just leave it. 

Something similar happened to me yesterday. I was sitting on a bench outside a shop in a “country market” - lots of craft shops, cafes etc. and very busy. As I got up to leave, I saw a cellphone lying on the bench a few feet away, with nobody near it. So I took it into the shop, told them where I’d found it and left it with them. I think it would be a pretty forlorn hope that the owner would remember everywhere (s)he been in the market, though. Probably the best thing would be that they would phone their own number, hoping someone answers.

• Like 17