The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Remember those public information films with the bloke connecting his powerdrill by shoving the bare wires into a socket, held in by matchsticks, with predictable results?

Wasn't there one about wrapping a blown fuse in the foil from a packet of fags too?

They don't make 'em like they used to!

My favourite was the "Man trap" set by Granny, polishing the hallway floor under the rug welcoming S.i.L & baby home.😱 

"....and to think, he'd only just come from the hospital!!" 😃 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

For my morning walk, anything over 10°C means short sleeves and short trousers - 15°C certainly does.

This was from a news story from the ABC about how temperatures had dropped to 10 degrees in Brisbane on Tuesday (though it got back to 21.4 during the day)

c848cb6b4adb8b15fa8bc7d4ca686c31.jpg.e3780be76ca292ed8328a6bc623085bf.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We live in what has been considered to be “a safe seat”, so safe, I  did wonder if our MP were returned she might be leader of the opposition. However according to some polls it might not be so safe. Some national parties don’t even put up candidates in our local elections but we have all them in the general election. 

You need preferential voting to keep them on their toes!

In our last federal election several blue ribbon  "safe seats" in inner Sydney and Melbourne that had not changed sides ever were lost to independent "Teal" candidates (ie  conservative blue economically but green when it came to the environment and social issues). The Labor party and Greens gave them their preferences and the numbers overwhelmed the seated MPs  - much to their shock because they thought they'd have a job for life.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

19 hours ago, Hroth said:

Remember those public information films with the bloke connecting his powerdrill by shoving the bare wires into a socket, held in by matchsticks, with predictable results?

Wasn't there one about wrapping a blown fuse in the foil from a packet of fags too?

They don't make 'em like they used to!

8 hours ago, Debs. said:

My favourite was the "Man trap" set by Granny, polishing the hallway floor under the rug welcoming S.i.L & baby home.😱 

"....and to think, he'd only just come from the hospital!!" 😃 

I’m wondering if the “emotional fragility”* supposedly present in record amounts in millennials and Generation Z nowadays is down to the absence of such blood-curdling and alarming warning films about the perils of modern life.

I remember seeing such things as a child and my two main reactions were: 1) what a thicko, everyone knows that playing on the “up, fast” mainline is a one-way trip to a casket and 2) I don’t care what my “cool” friends say I’m still not playing on the tracks (or whatever activity was being shown as being dangerous).

I reckon we need to bring back such public service films. It’s one thing to keep your child safe, but cocooning them to such a degree that they are pretty much guaranteed to end up like “deer caught in the headlights” in reaction to perilous matters is probably not a good idea.

*needs trigger warnings, can’t deal with “difficult” topics, lives in a soshul meeja bubble where his/her ideas & beliefs don’t get challenged.

Edited by iL Dottore
Text edit
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Thinking about those public information information films, given the parlous state of Britain’s railways I don’t think you could make such films nowadays.

Somehow “little Johnny plays on the tracks of the fast mainline and gets run over by a rail replacement bus” doesn't quite work…

• Funny 17

I find the reaction of many on ER to “pollyticks” quite fascinating.

Setting aside for the moment the intriguing philosophical notion that every choice we make and every action we do is a political choice and a political action, three things emerge:

1. a disengagement from politics is a godsend to the ideologues, extremists and zealots of all political persuasions - it allows them to take control of the political narrative - with predictable outcomes.
  2. people are far too ready to slap on pejorative labels on people who deviate from the political orthodoxy of the day. (Don’t like tinned baked beans then you must be a bigot, etc. etc.)
  3. there is a lot of mendacity in the political narrative, especially when it comes to taking things out of context (so “I hate tinned baked beans, they are absolute rubbish compared with homemade baked beans from fresh ingredients” becomes “tinned baked beans…are absolute rubbish”)

So, perhaps the philosophers are right that that every choice we make and every action we do IS a political choice and IS a political action….

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

32 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Thinking about those public information information films, given the parlous state of Britain’s railways I don’t think you could make such films nowadays.

Somehow “little Johnny plays on the tracks of the fast mainline and gets run over by a rail replacement bus” doesn't quite work…

I'm not sure if @Gwiwerhad a hand in it but the Melbourne Metro "Dumb Ways To Die" ad campaign of about 10 years ago was great fun and phenomenally effective.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Err.

image.png.b1e6b44c511d43d6bedeab55d6b20e25.png

Yes it is an old railway line...

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... from a friend - "A person can't be a bit of a bigot; no more than they may be just a little honest!" ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/06/22/lack-of-covid-data-the-rise-of-the-right-getting-ready-for-going-away/

Whilst not defending their actions in any way, All the Teams concerned have things to be ashamed of; the Betting Scandal within the Blue Team is front page news at the moment (and it seems that a number of them have been "at it" - at least four at the last count).  And then there's a certain Red Deputy Captain who described the Blue Team as being "All Scum" at a public event not very long ago.....

Of course all the various media outlets (including the Beeb) have their own favourites and agendas to follow so they'll dig up as much dirt as they possibly can on some Teams whilst conveniently brushing other stuff about other Teams under the carpet.

Some scrote reporter was even planning to release a story about the leader of the Bear Party being a "(semi) Recovering Cakeaholic".......CC soon explained the error of their ways to them, however.....

59 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I’m wondering if the “emotional fragility”* supposedly present in record amounts in millennials and Generation Z nowadays is down to the absence of such blood-curdling and alarming warning films about the perils of modern life.

I remember seeing such things as a child and my two main reactions were: 1) what a thicko, everyone knows that playing on the “up, fast” mainline is a one-way trip to a casket and 2) I don’t care what my “cool” friends say I’m still not playing on the tracks (or whatever activity was being shown as being dangerous).

I reckon we need to bring back such public service films. It’s one thing to keep your child safe, but cocooning them to such a degree that they are pretty much guaranteed to end up like “deer caught in the headlights” in reaction to perilous matters is probably not a good idea.

*needs trigger warnings, can’t deal with “difficult” topics, lives in a soshul meeja bubble where his/her ideas & beliefs don’t get challenged.

Nowadays it'd only give the little B'sterds even more ideas about what dumb "Dares" to undertake (or more likely get their "Mate" to do) whilst filming it for the 'tube.....

When's the last time you even saw a road safety "how to cross the road" advert on the telly?  Whatever happened to Tufty (who was a Red  Squirrel, incidentally - so no comments please about being blasted by a Marauding Hippo with a Blunderbus.....).

What we could really do with is a hard-hitting** advert on the telly about the dangers of riding up the inside of HGV's & PSV's for starters....broadcast during the adverts whilst Emmerdale & Corrie are on, and also just before Eastenders starts as well.....

Oh yes, and NO warnings beforehand about "some viewers may find this distressing etc."

**A realistic "cyclist getting squidged by a bluddy great truck turning left" type of thing.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Quite a good sleep last night, I feel almost alert this morning.  Breakfast has been eaten. e mails dealt with, photos posted, next will be a phone call.

It's dull and very humid.  Later today I may get in the garden again to finish the weeding, there will be a trip to church but not much else is planned.

I may watch the Grand Prix after lunch.

I wonder what will happen to disrupt my peaceful day?

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

A somewhat warm morning for here being 22C in the bedroom at dawn .

So a poor night's sleep as it was just to hot.

I've been round opening more upstairs windows..

On waking at dawn a peer out of the window of a small room, showed Disneyland, two deer, several rabbits, and a couple of squirrels .

Ben the getting really lazy Collie didn't get out of his bed until I'd got my boots on, he then had a very interesting patrol with lots on scents to follow.

100% blue Welkin out there, warm with a slight dew. No wind.

The MRC kits are now in the landrover and will be dropped off on the way to sailing.

Forecast 5 to 7 mph wind, varying from northwest round to southeast during the day. Tides don't matter as we are up on the broad.   Though as the tide is low at the moment we'll have the tide behind us to get us there.

Ten minutes till I depart..

Time to drink this muggacoffee.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

It is our 45th Wedding Anniversary today.. I must be due for parole!!!

We are eating at a local family run Italian Restaurant later.. don't upset the owners..  they are Sicilians!

More paintwork completed yesterday.. a redtvday is scheduled for today.

If you think trainsbin Britain are bad.. well compared to DB they are wonderful. I must be lucky as I haven't needed to get on a rail replacement bus.. ever... despite Dr Beedhing and his axe we do still have a lot of railways in Britain (in 2021 we had 4 times as much track as Switzerland for example).

So..Time for myvtea!

Baz

Happy aniversary, hoping that both of you have a good day.

I have even been on a rail replacement taxi a few years back due ot a freight trian derailment just inside Germany from Holland.

Yesterday our trian to East Croydon was on time till the front end of the 4 car train reached the platform then the train abrubtly stopped. Our fears of one under were soon cleared as trains were still running around us but after 20 minutes they rebooted the train whilst I was in the loo so it went very dark for a few seconds, then we limped into the platform. Luckily we just made our now delayed cross platform connection to Streatham.

I also remembered ot get a photo of another wierd sign near us.

20240622_080638.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

We've got one of those- guided bus and yes it does run for part of its way on an old train line.

155  years AFTER  the "colonies" had one up and running  in Tasmania,  Nice to know that the Ye Olde Darte is finally catching up!

Convict_Tramway_(Sketch_by_Col._Mundy)_Tasmanian_Archives_NS1013-1-1594.jpg.078851cbbdc0c159ba378ba50c87523d.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

It is our 45th Wedding Anniversary today.. I must be due for parole!!!

We are eating at a local family run Italian Restaurant later.. don't upset the owners..  they are Sicilians!

More paintwork completed yesterday.. a rest day is scheduled for today.

If you think trains in Britain are bad.. well compared to DB they are wonderful. I must be lucky as I haven't needed to get on a rail replacement bus.. ever... despite Dr Beeching and his axe we do still have a lot of railways in Britain (in 2021 we had 4 times as much track as Switzerland for example).

So..Time for my tea!

Baz

Happy anniversary and many congratulations to you and Lady H., Baz! 💞

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept quite well last night, no interruptions from bladder control or Arthur Itis, Only thing was I had to pick the duvet off of the floor, the first time I've had to do that for ages. Not sure what to do today but when I decide it won't be anything onerous. 

• Like 15