The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

We had these a few years ago. Nice to know that the 'colonies' are finally catching up. If memory serves I think they stopped being used but I might be wrong on that.

Yes, shipped them out to Aus because they wanted to concentrate on providing a sympathetic, patient-centred, personal approach to health care* no doubt ...'

*  Where's the sarcasm emoji when you need it?

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I too am a landowner of a far flung island, well to be precise a square foot of it. The Laphroaig whisky company "gave" those who bought a bottle of their finest this for their life only, you get paid rent, a miniature bottle, but you have to go to the distillery to collect it, something I can recommend, a lovely island.

I believe I own a star, it was given by the family as a present many years ago.   I can't remember exactly where in the Cosmos it is but its name was a very long number.    

I've never visited it as I'm always to busy washing my hair and anyway, I detest long journeys.

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

I’m also a land owner, as in, I own the land on which my house is built. .................................................  we’ve been living on the land rent free ever since.

As indeed does Puppers living rent free on the land on which Puppers Towers is built.   The only "title" that came with it is that which says I own it.    If I fancy becoming Lord Puppers of Puppershire (Hmm, sounds quite appealing) I think further arrangements would have to made which could impact on the Deltic stock pile.

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

We had to do that in Bombay - in the Flight Hangar, working on Sea King.....

I understand that's considered professional, fully qualified standard (workmanship & materials) over there ....

ION

What to do today?

Now there is a question, which like the "who to vote for" question remains unanswered (or indeed unanswerable) .

TTFN

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I will have to visit Tess Coes for a few bits and pieces, I'm running low on fruit and veg. The hay fever won't let go but I should be OK in the car as it has pollen filters on the air-con and in Tess Coes it never seems to be as bad outside, possibly because they filter the air in the store. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Dont be such  a Negative Nancy !

Theres  nothing that a decent small block Chevy motor*, some Australian Falcon parts and a bloke in a shed cant fix.

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/features/1965-rolls-royce-silver-shadow-slammed

*a common conversion, its popular for  Jags too, and 1980's Porsches.

All I can say, Chimpey, is thank God it wasn’t a Bentley…..

• Agree 4
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I will have to visit Tess Coes for a few bits and pieces, I'm running low on fruit and veg. The hay fever won't let go but I should be OK in the car as it has pollen filters on the air-con and in Tess Coes it never seems to be as bad outside, possibly because they filter the air in the store. 

Yep the air-conditioning on the roof of a tescos has dozens of filters fitted. You get inside the machines to change them. Also most of the chiller display units have filters on top as well. When I did the 3 monthly filter change at the big tescos ( not as big as an "extra") there were 148 filters to change..

While doing the accounting a fire engine went in the direction of  the beach blues and twos, I couldn't see a fire, so I suspect a problem on the beach.

Accounting was fun..😜

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

A peaceful and quiet but not boring (for me anyway) day.  I went outside and gardened, more weeds have been dealt with, the almost dead plant was cut back to see what happens in a week or so and other jobs done.  There were several dead snails in the pond, I wonder if they fell in or if a bird has been trying to dunk them for some reason.  I came back inside when it got hot and I started sneezing.

I looked at some of my photos from 2011, a lot of local places have changed a bit since I took them.

This afternoon I fell asleep after lunch and then watched Royal Ascot while dealing with today's post.  I received no fewer than 7 letters - a magazine, a letter from the surgery which I can reply to by phone to give them information on why I did not have a test, an offer on frozen ready meals and 4 catalogues, all possibly useful.  That makes at least 12 items delivered to me this week as well as the usual advertising leaflets.

I had a look at Postscript's books on the web as they sent me an e mail, they have some nice books in stock at around half price or less.  Very tempting, even though I am trying not to buy books right now.  See https://www.psbooks.co.uk/   I receive their monthly catalogue, as well as novels they stock a good range, including some transport.

Hopefully this evening will continue to be relaxing with some old TV and a film to watch.

David

• Like 19

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its the depths of winter here right now and an outside temperature of 15 with clouds means that anywhere away from the heater is no place to be!

For my morning walk, anything over 10°C means short sleeves and short trousers - 15°C certainly does.

• Like 14
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, BoD said:

Today’s mail consisted of a batch of election communication - I understand that each candidate is entitled to one free mail shot from Royal Mail (if they can be bothered to produce one).  I guess the post office has saved them all for delivery on the same day.  Can you guess what I did with them?

Did any of them leave ink on your cheeks?

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

'ello.

Parcel containing toy has not arrived because I forgot that Parcelforce don't count Saturdays as a working day unless you pay for express delivery so I'll have to wait until Monday.  Not a problem, there's far more important things to worry about....like what's for dinner?

Tonight we're trying out a ready made Lasagne that Ocado have sent as a free gift.  I've read various reports on it from good to awful so will reserve judgement.   At least I've got some wine to wash it down with.  Just received a special offer case of six reds from Laithwaites for £36 which includes a couple of my favourites that are usually quite a bit dearer.

• Like 18

There was an interesting programme on Ch5 this evening about the working of a Baked Bean* factory in Wigan...

So many tins!

* Plus tinned sphagetti and soup too!

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, BoD said:

Can you guess what I did with them?

Robbie the spaniel used to pre sort them for our perusal. We usually didn’t let him roam the hall until the post had been delivered as he liked to pick it up and sit there doing a “how cute am I , sitting with your letters in my mouth?”  However he shredded one political party’s leaflets. I think it was the purple ink they used.

We live in what has been considered to be “a safe seat”, so safe, I  did wonder if our MP were returned she might be leader of the opposition. However according to some polls it might not be so safe. Some national parties don’t even put up candidates in our local elections but we have all them in the general election.  Not many posters or leaflets about. Posters on every lamppost used to be common. I have been in Ireland and Sweden at election times and there were loads of posters about .

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Did any of them leave ink on your cheeks?

They were all printed on glossy colour paper so, having experienced Izal in my grandparent’s outside loo many years ago, I decided to forego that particular application.  It had crossed my mind though. 

Anyway, enough of this jolly ribaldry, lest we chase GDB away again.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There was an interesting programme on Ch5 this evening about the working of a Baked Bean* factory in Wigan...

So many tins!

* Plus tinned sphagetti and soup too!

Taste-Tester in a B.B. Factory.....oh yes.......

ION....

Just started watching Richard Hammond's Workshop....he's got rather a lot of mo'sickles in his Garage (including a CBX....)

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Taste-Tester in a B.B. Factory.....oh yes.......

Only problem is, you have to be able to talk and understand "Wiganese"!

Oh yes, and they taste them cold...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 15

I once installed a conveyor in a canning factory, that was full of mountains of peas and carrots, after working there for a week I never touched a tin vegetable for about 30 years after that.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

There's a balloon festival to the north of me this weekend. On my morning walk I've seen balloons overhead for the last three days. There were more of them today - though the flotilla was very small - only around six. There used to be a lot more 20 years ago.

This morning felt very still. I haven't looked up winds aloft but the balloons didn't get far. A couple seemed to land on nearby school playing fields. On my walk one of them appeared to be giving tethered rides to people who showed up at the local elementary (primary) school (k-5).

image.png.d9bb45b1afdd603ffcd1764865f66cbe.png

• Like 16

Much sunshine. It was hot yesterday >32°C. 

Sunsets have been nice.

image.png.945a2e88b3bbf5270f215a33ae6dc128.png

Still warm today - 31°C is forecast. I need to mow the grassy verge before the heat sets in. It's almost noon and a pleasant 25°C. I needed some sunshine to dry out the grass. (I think the sprinklers kicked in overnight. I don't remember what days they are set to be 'on'.)

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Freebie Lasagne sampled and it wasn't awful, didn't taste too bad but was too sloppy and the sauce was far too thin for me.  The Boss agrees so we won't be buying that and she will continue to make it herself.

Nothing on TV tonight for me yet again, it's even worse at the moment with all the kick balling festival being shown, so I'll have look for something online or listen to some music.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Ultra High Net Worth Individual. Someone who has more than £24 million (US $30 million) in liquid assets

I wondered where all the good whisky was going. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Nothing on TV tonight for me yet again,

There was rugby on earlier this evening, but on yet another ‘cough up to see’ channel for which I am not prepared to subscribe.  According to reports it was a good close game with an exciting finish in which Glasgow managed to prevail. In South Africa too.   Well done Warriors.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Another lot of washing to go on tomorrow. I will have to empty the rack of the last lot now. I noticed when I visited Tess Coes that petrol was down another penny per litre, I've still got half a tank full so I'll chance a few more days before I fill up.

• Like 14