The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I haven’t got fluffy dice or a tax disc…

Or a banner at the top of the windscreen that reads (from driver’s side) “TONE” and “ADI”?

…and what about the aftermarket spoiler, the sporty exhaust and the “go-faster” stripes???

• Like 11
  • Funny 6

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

image.png.10e1f23004ddb6549f60daf24e13fd41.png

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Nottahappy Cubby......😢

But isn’t that what Mummy Bears used to get their cubs to eat their veggies? As in “if you don’t eat all your kale/broccoli/brussels sprouts/spinach, you’ll end up like Charlie here?

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BoD said:

What the …. ? *

* on so many levels.

I dunno, a room full of men standing to attention to pay their respects to some hot crumpet seems quite civilised🤣

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 9

4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I dunno, a room full of men standing to attention to pay their respects to some hot crumpet seems quite civilised🤣

I almost misunderstood the "standing to attention" bit...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Deeply ironic the choice of song, n'est-ce pas?

Especially as Kim "Haircut 100" was in the audience.  I'm surprised he didn't have the lot taken out and disappeared afterwards.

Perhaps he did...

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing how many people latch onto (or criticise) songs seemingly without listening to the words or thinking about.

I remember in the 80's the Springsteen song 'Born in the USA' was adopted by some as a chest thumping anthem for the USA rah rah rah world view while others despised it because it was a chest thumping USA rah rah rah anthem. Neither group appear to have paid much attention to the lyrics. Neil Young's 'Rocking in the free world' is another.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

I’m not doing any DIY or hobby stuff today, as we are meeting up with my cousin and his wife for dinner. We’re not meeting until about 12:30, but as it’s about an hours drive from here, there doesn’t seem much point in doing anything this morning, as I’d have to pack up almost as soon as I’d started to give me enough time to get washed and changed. I’m not adverse to sitting about, as I can do a bit of reading or research etc. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Deeply ironic the choice of song, n'est-ce pas?

Here's an actual song this time ,   hot off the presses . They all seem very happy - definitely happier than if they were under the thumb of "Hang Em all High and let the crows sort them out  @polybear".

I've worked for the Australian Defence Force for almost 30 years and I've never seen  it at anytime break out in joyful singing and dancing like the Nth  Korean one does.

(And they've got some lookers serving!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A terrible night last night, Arthur Itis was celebrating something or the other and making sure I was aware of that fact. I will have to chase up my prescription today which means a call into the surgery to find out which pharmacist they sent it to. I need to visit Tess Coes as yesterday they'd ran out of my favourite bread and I used the last of it for breakfast.

• Friendly/supportive 19

Is anyone else having problems with insect incursions into the house?

We are getting a lot of grey black moths turning up inside the house (usually after whenever we let the dogs out into the garden). We also have the occasional fly and blue bottle, many small house spiders and - every so often - large garden spiders turn up inside the house. With the small house spiders we basically leave them to get on with “doing their own thing“, whilst the big garden spiders are trapped, and then released back into the wild*.  Fortunately, more dangerous insects like Hornets and wasps are very seldom seen and usually neither bother us or come into the house.

We also seem to be having, at least in the last couple of days, an explosion of snails and slugs. I wonder if this may not be due to the fact that because of the large amount of construction work going on around here (new apartment buildings, et cetera)  our hedgehog population is steering clear of their usual haunts 

Anyway, back to the moths: they seem to be, according to our cleaning lady, a common problem around here as of late and I’ve seen recently seen many of these moths - on the outside walls, on the fly screens and once or twice dead on a window ledge. I think it might be the result of having a wet but not terribly cold winter. 

Fortunately the moths, being black, when at rest on our white walls and ceilings are easy to spot and a quick squirt of insecticide will take them out; they are also very slow flying, which means you can usually kill them by clapping your hands around them. What is interesting is compared to squashing a fly of comparable size, a squashed moth does not leave foul looking ichor and blood all over the spot it was squashed at.

* a few of the larger and more adventurous garden spiders are also given directions to Bear Towers before they are released. 🤣😁🤭

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

The Slug explosion was a news item on the BBC news yesterday.

I think it was used as an antidote to all the depressing national and global political news. Perhaps Farage could be tasked on repelling the "slug invasion problem"....

The worst moths are the house/clothes moths that come into the house looking for natural fibres to lay their eggs on and their larvae to feast upon.  I've been spotting one or two a day, fluttering around in their obscene manner, abdomen dangling as they beat the air.  At least if you manage to squash them there is a brown smear of dust from their wings that dusts off, and if you swat them with one of those electrocuting fly swat bats, there's a smell of burning dust as they sparkle on the grid.

One thing I've noticed is that they have an evasive action, if a failed attempt is made on them, they do a crash dive of several feet and try to flutter away, especially if they've been resting on a wall.  Its easy to catch them when they do this, I poke them with a ruler and they drop. Right onto the electric bat I'm holding below them.

Crackle-crackle, dead.

I'm not fond of insecticides in a domestic environment, insecticides might also harm the spiders...

Edited by Hroth
Thort about insecticides
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Anyway, back to the moths: they seem to be, according to our cleaning lady, a common problem around here as of late and I’ve seen recently seen many of these moths - on the outside walls, on the fly screens and once or twice dead on a window ledge. I think it might be the result of having a wet but not terribly cold winter. 

Didnt you get some wasps a while back to deal with moths? Arethey still around or have they escaped into the Swiss countryside and turned feral  cane-toad style and are now wrecking picnics everywhere - floating in the fondue, hiding between the little mountain peaks in the Toblerones......*

No worries though, the Huntsman spider is the perfect natural answer to moths. They are very clean, they don't weave webs but  are nomadic so roam around and  sneak up on prey before grabbing  it with lightning speed. They also tend to just hang around high up on your walls or ceiling so you won't accidentally step on them and injure them.

They are easy to catch if you want any -  for instance here's one I caught and sent off to @polybear  for Valentines Day.

spider(2).jpg.1f14eaf33288b30969e9e773a21d7f22.jpg

*I've never had a toblerone but they had a reputation here for being fancy if you wanted to impress a special lady on a date. I remember going to the drive-in with my mates back when we were 17 or so. We went to the food kiosk and we found ourselves lined up behind 2 or 3 very classy  looking  lasses (ie they had shoes on).

One of my mates  thought he'd put on the posh act to win them over and when they got to the front of the queue and were about to put their order in, he leaned across the counter and said in his best Rich Eastern Suburbs Property Developer accent "Give  these lovely ladies a Tobleron-ee  each!" 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 18