The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I mentioned that I would look into the "anti-cancer vaccine" featured in a number of newspapers last week and try and convert the science and medicine into lay language & concepts.

Here we go!

Basically it involves taking tumour material, identifying the neoantigens (proteins that are only produced by cancer cells and are recognized as such by the immune system) specific to that patient's cancer, creating a mRNA vaccine like treatment specific for a patient and injecting that treatment into that patient, boosting the patient's immune system's ability to recognise the cancer cells (cancer cells are very good at "hiding in plain sight" from the immune system). Moderna, BioNTech, Genetech and Merck Sharp & Dohme are amongst the companies involved in this research.

The press release from BioNTech is informative (https://investors.biontech.de/news-releases/news-release-details/three-year-phase-1-follow-data-mrna-based-individualized). And I quote the relevant passage:

"About iNeST (individualized Neoantigen Specificimmuno Therapy)
iNeST immunotherapies are investigational individualized cancer therapies tailored to a specific patient’s tumor. They contain unmodified, pharmacologically optimized mRNA encoding up to 20 patient-specific neoantigens, identified using real-time next-generation sequencing and bioinformatic neoantigen discovery. Neoantigens are proteins that are produced by cancer cells that differ from the proteins produced by healthy cells and are recognized by immune cells. The mRNA is encapsulated in BioNTech’s proprietary intravenous RNA-lipoplex delivery formulation which is designed to enhance stability as well as enable targeted delivery to dendritic cells. By analyzing each patient’s tumor, BioNTech is able to identify the cancer mutations that may act as neoantigens. Each individual cancer vaccine encodes for neoantigen candidates with the highest likelihood of helping the immune system recognize the cancer".

But... BUT it must be noted, these are NOT monotherapies, the various trials also give the patient anti-cancer therapies at the same time (like check-point inhibitors such as pembrolizumab), most, but not all, are small (Phase II) studies; most of the patients, but not all, in these studies tend to have significantly advanced cancers.

This paper at ASCO ( https://meetings.asco.org/abstracts-presentations/238530) may be one of the studies referred to in the newspapers last week (and was the only study I found - admittedly after a very quick search of the ASCO website - that is in Phase III and is also treating early-stage cancer [Stage II, IIIA, or IIIB (N2) Non Small Cell Lung Cancer: NSCLC]).

As promising as this sort of therapy is, it's a long way from being a standard of care.

Hope that this helps.

iD

• Informative/Useful 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/06/2024 at 13:36, iL Dottore said:

Besides, have you never had the desire to ride the open road, heading towards California through the Wild West, astride your chopped hog, biker chick on the pillion and the wind blowing through your hair? (OK, scratch that last bit).

On 04/06/2024 at 14:07, polybear said:

"Did you lock the back door?  We'd better go back and check....and have you cancelled the milk.....WATCH THAT CAR!! AND SLOW DOWN - we're not in a race....."

Now make it his & hers Yamaha Niken's thru' the Alps and you'll have my undivided attention.....

Methinks that The Bear protests too much...

BearonBike.jpg.589fb9734bd347c921db634cf803653b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not done a lot today, hay fever has confined me to barracks. Emptied the washing machine and tomorrow I've got half a dozen pairs of jeans to wash, will have to keep an eye on the weather as there is no room indoors for drying them.

• Friendly/supportive 16

HUMP day, already they murmored...

Yesterday the Mrs and Jemma made a Costco run, whilst I toiled and had Whitney for company. Jemma stayed for dinner and a drink.

Today, the Mrs is off to check up on the other two grand-dogs, as Wednesday is her day for the noon-time duty.

Later after another continued toil-for-tokens we will have Whitney back for a few days, Jemma off to Milan this time.

Weather varied, rain on and off the last day and this morning early, 13c and cloudy first thing, 23c and showers later.

Carry on. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good afternoon from a warm and sunny Charente.  It must be summer as a field of barley has been harvested nearby. However the sunflowers and maizecare only about a foot high.  A lot hot done yesterday, 3 loads of washing were dried and both cars washed p, us some trimming.  We then had a walk round the village to try and find where Beth had left a cardigan.  The last stop was the 93 Yr old Belgian widow.  Politeness said that we had to have a beer with her.  12% Bush was produced.  That visit took longer than planned.  This morning the ironing g has been done interrupted by taking Beth to Physio.  Now there is grass to be cut and the Volvo to be cleaned inside. 

Jamie

But did you find the Cardy?  We need to know.....

4 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I must admit I was very impressed by Tesco arranging these red thingies to fly over whilst I went shopping an hour or so ago...

P1710069.JPG

Wow, every aircraft in the RAF Serviceable and airborne at the same time.....

46 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Bear is nothing if not open-minded......

• Like 2
  • Funny 16

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

31 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is nothing if not open-minded......

Yeah but that is not the actual question that needs to be answered @polybear……the question is not whether you are open minded or not….

the question is….is your pillion companion “Open Minded????”

…now that IS the question…..😎😎😎

Love Grizz 

Edited by Grizz
S
  • Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here....

Another day of fun at the Warehouse - which of course included the aforementioned freebie sossie roll provided by Bear's Chauffer 🤣  Huge Tick awarded.

Sadly the Boss wasn't in today - some Bozo decided to run into the back of her car on the A1.  .  Fortunately she was ok (as was he) but spent 5 hours at A&E getting her neck checked out, followed by another 2 hours on the phone to the Insurance....

Bear spotted the following donation in the overflow Warehouse - a donation:

IMG_06431.JPG.d0c9a8ea9aa97c08bb5bfd563d7f32c0.JPG

IMG_06441.JPG.855ceb43ea99e28d5c4fc1644dd013a8.JPG

- I had a quick look - it appears to be completely unused at first glance; it'll end up on the Hospice Ebay Shop.

There was also this little snippet of information in the Warehouse Sorting Room - that's a lot of bags to go thru', sort and direct to the most appropriate outlet:

IMG_06461.JPG.8917d9bf3c008283c4750c83d82c6d88.JPG

Bearing in mind there's probably no more than half a dozen working in there every day (some of whom are Volunteers - and also some may only do half a day as well) that's some going.

Unfortunately when Bear got home I discovered that the only clean din din plate left in the cupboard** was.....The Pizza Plate!! Yahooooooooooooooo......

(**There *may* have been clean plates waiting to be unloaded from the dishwasher - but we'll skip that bit....)

ION....

This from the BBC News website:

"A woman has been charged with assault after a banana milkshake was thrown over Nigel Farage.

Victoria Thomas Bowen, 25, is due to appear at Colchester Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, 2 July charged with assault by beating and criminal damage, Essex Police said."

Oh good.  Stupid C0w.

Bear gone....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Are meat pies REALLY that unknown outside the UK and Australia?

Not as common or ubiquitous in the UK as they are in Oz. It’s more a northern thing - pie shops down south are pretty rare. 

Food hygiene laws differ too. You can’t keep pies (or anything else) luke-warm on a UK counter. They must either be served hot or cold. Some Aussie ones are red-hot with gum-searing tongue-burning contents inside a concrete-hard crust. Others are just about edible. To improve their taste red sauce was invented. The better pie shops don’t charge extra for it but most do. 

Australian law requires a minimum of 25% meat in a “meat pie”; the UK requires half that and less still if if the total weight is 100g or less and / or it is a “meat and something else” pie. Such as chicken and leek. 

You pays yer money ….. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

… identifying the neoantigens … creating a mRNA vaccine-like treatment specific for a patient …

Those are the clever bits!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear had a Team Greggs Sossie Roll earlier…. hard to beat in This Bear’s Book…..

I had a wild boar sossie roll (with a few 'extras') - went down well. Much shorter and fatter - yes, yes, OK, that's the roll, not me - than the Greggs version. More money but rather more meat. I'll try and do a snap next time. On the subject of [excessive] food preparation time, I reckon sausage rolls are quick and easy to do, there's not much fiddling about and if you get decent pastry (dare I say even including the better ready made stuff) and good quality sausagemeat from a good butcher, Robert can be your mother's brother with very little fuss or time. The challenge can be leaving some to cool and have cold, not scoffing the lot! 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Been catching up on the housework though it seems to be catching up on me. There's a pile of jeans to be washed, Today's washing is all racked up and drying. Now to tackle Farcebook.

• Like 16

Evening All,

A bit more paperwork done but the majority of the day was spent walking with the dogs and not mil.

Decided to do a walk we don’t usually do as it tends to be waterlogged in places most of the year but today we fancied our chances. It wasn’t too bad and I managed to take this picture. It’s not far from my last picture from a couple of weeks ago.

In times past EM1 (class 76) locos would be seen using this section of line. To the right, about 1/4mile away was West Silkstone Junction which marked the top of the Worsborough incline. This section of the Woodhead route carries on for a couple of miles until Penistone is reached. Part way along this section the other branch of the woodhead route from Sheffield would trail in at the site of Barnsley Juntction. At the former Huddersfield junction the line bears left and onwards to Huddersfield while the former Woodhead route carried almost straight on.

ok, enough history so goodnight.

IMG_8853.jpeg.b7a75961f69b8b99b55baaad8ee3957e.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Is that what is meant by the term "pimp my ride?" 

• Like 1
  • Funny 12