The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

First of all, let me just second what Mike wrote...

DD - these things seem to happen in "it never rains but it pours" runs, sadly. Thoughts are with you. ERs is always such a warm place for both old and new members, you can guarantee that as each of us gets dumped on, the others are there for us. We're always here to cheer those up who are going through rough patches.

...so do let us know when there's anything we might help you with, DD – even if just by listening.

Looking dull outside, but the day's still too young for me to be able to report anything noteworthy.

Morning All,

Good Heavens DD, you do seem to be getting more than your share of it at the moment. That certainly puts my "problems" into perspective. Most of mine are currently related to getting around fifteen people to the same place at the same time for a Church meeting tomororow.

I didn't believe a seemingly simple task could prove to be so difficult. Some people shouldn't be let out on their own!

Great to see your pictures Dom. I have a bit of a soft spot for the 143s - they pretty much always pulled (or pushed) my train when I used to commute to Frankfurt. A friend of the family used to drive them on the Frankfurt to Koblenz route up the Rhein and he reckoned they were the best Locomotives he drove in his career. He said the East German technology was one of their best points - not over complicated, and even when they had some sort of failure it was very rare that they didn't "get you home".

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I am sorry to read Dd's news. I hope Harry's sister's surgery goes well. I assume BiL's loss of licence will create transport difficulty for your FiL and MiL.

I eventually managed to extricate myself from the curtain rail and cording system. I just need to patch up the ceiling and wall with a lick of paint today.

My new blue toy train arrived yesterday, I didn't get to even open the parcel until about 9pm. I'm not going to play with the train until I've finished the curtain rail installation (and removed all the tools from the dining table!).

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a cool dry morning but still breezy. The trees have dropped most of their leaves so this weekend will be spent piling them into the green bin. Matt will be having his first driving lesson today and will be very nervous, he has good hand eye co-ordination I am hoping he gains in confidence quickly.

Yes, Tony.

He had conned a new car out of them so some might see it as poetic justice.

Sorry to lumber ERs with all this gloom.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

My main problem is that I've always been the 'go-to' person so, when I need a sounding board to bore with my troubles, the one who has always been there in that capacity is nearing the end of her life.

SWMBO is devastated and, like most of us, I try to be 'manly' about things for her sake.

To think last week I was moaning about a sniffle and cough.

I'm still impacted by Ian's heart wrenching experience and now it's all coming very close to home.

Curtain rails:

Who invented the bluddy things?

I can't add the times I've tried to drill into steel trying to put them up.

• Like 8

Thanks, DD! Everyone well - I just don't want to hear 90mph wind anymore..........

I have to read through all 9 days of drivel enlightening comments on here (or maybe not). Sounds like you've had a rough time too?

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Morning all! And welcome back Pete. Great to see your name back in the ERs.

I don't have a curtain rail, the bedroom's the only room with curtains and it has a pole with a crystal knob at the end. Admittedly that's not much use for a bay window...

I see the Bishop of Durham's set to be the new Archbishop of Canterbury, according to one broadsheet this morning. I can't help but think that's a bit of a slap in the face for the Archbishop of York... But as a Durham lad, it's nice to see our bishop head to Lambeth...

Today's a meeting-free day at work for once, hurrah!

• Like 2

Hurrah! Great to have you back on line. I have no idea how you managed without power for nine days, so congratulations for getting through it all!

Thoughts are with you DD. Sounds like you have had more than your share of issues right now and I agree, just when you think things can't get any worse, they invariably do.

Please remember to take care of yourself though. You are very important to a lot of people.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Please remember to take care of yourself though. You are very important to a lot of people.

Well said, Gordon.

Pete, as I also just wrote on the other thread – good to see you're back and well!

• Like 2

......I see the Bishop of Durham's set to be the new Archbishop of Canterbury, according to one broadsheet this morning. I can't help but think that's a bit of a slap in the face for the Archbishop of York... But as a Durham lad, it's nice to see our bishop head to Lambeth......

Indeed, a very promising appointment.

I met Justin Welby just before he took the Bishopric at Durham; when he was still Dean of Liverpool.......he visited our Quaker meeting, and I was greatly struck by his outlook and 'direction'........Perhaps our nation`s Autumn-like faith might bloom a`new.

Good morning, everyone!

Not a great one here - I seem to have a swollen nose! According to Google, this can be an after effect of Shingles. However, it's nothing like as serious as what other folk on here have to face. Best wishes and kind thoughts to all those with health or pet problems.

Welcome back to Pete! A double sigh of relief with Obama still in charge! You could feel that from around the world.

Have a good day!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A lovely morning weather wise, but thats where it ends.

My girl got her son to clear the garage so I could put my car in, which I duly did last night, this morning I went to get it out and found the wheelbarrow he'd usefully left with the handles sticking into the garage, from the back, cue one badly bruised knee.

Traffic jams in Diss, first jam I've encountered (in my direction) for 15 months or so, very slow, then got stuck behind a lorry on the narrow lanes, but philosophical about it, a lovely morning and going to work so no sweat.

At Stradbroke the lorry turned the opposite way to me, "Yippeee..." but only after the tractor and shimuck truck had gone passed - "Booo". Got rid of that at Laxfield and finally had a clear run, ambling along I caught up with a Golf, no worries, it was doing 40 and I'm in no rush.

We both turn up Heveningham Long Lane - an old Roman road - and are ambling along, me about 100yards behind, no sense in driving up the exhaust pipe (thats what the local do), no way of overtaking, next minute a deer runs out in front of the golf and clears the road, but the second one didn't and without being too graphic, the golf hit part of it's upper body which killed it instantly. The Golf stopped slightly skewed across the road, it was an older lady who was very upset, I stopped to check she was Ok, she was phoning hubby who lived only a few miles away, so was fine, in todays world, very sadly, I didn't want to pester her so left her to it. There was no point in checking the deer, my basic biology told me that, poor thing.

I finished the rest of the amble to work in a sombre mood, I don't like animals "going" like that - not that the lady could have done anything, just a poor stupid animal running out of luck, but still not nice.

Hopefully my working day will be better....

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Well, the last 24 hrs have seen ERs hit the highs - Trisonic rides again - and the lows - chez DD. Yes, troubles do come in bunches, and the very frequency amplifies the effect of each of them. In BR we used to say that things come in threes. I have had massive support here, DD - and you are feeling the same now. Being one degree under yourself is unhelpful - yet the troubles will actually help you recover faster, because you have other things to occupy you. It is truly an ill wind, as they say!

Does your new enhanced proboscis (who do I think I am - Debs?!) actually glow in the dark, Ashcombe?

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning, everyone!

Not a great one here - I seem to have a swollen nose! According to Google, this can be an after effect of Shingles. However, it's nothing like as serious as what other folk on here have to face. Best wishes and kind thoughts to all those with health or pet problems.

Welcome back to Pete! A double sigh of relief with Obama still in charge! You could feel that from around the world.

Have a good day!

Without wishing to talk politics and get into trouble, I seem to remember one of the candidates doubted our ability to run the Olympics and make a jolly good show of it.

Well, we did. So there.

Pete, let us know if there's anything you need.

Andy

• Like 3