The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

@RobAllen hope they pay you the full hours. Not all billing systems are equal and some only let you bill your paid hours!

Edit: me, I’m paid out of overheads so no current need to bill my hours.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

GREY POWER!

This past weekend the Swiss voted a) to increase the AHV [state pension], so from 2026 pensioners will get 13 monthly pension payments (two in November - helps cover end-of-year/Christmas costs) and b) to NOT increase the retirement age from 65 to 66.

The maximum AHV pension in Switzerland is currently CHF 2,450 (£2190) per month for an individual and CHF 3,675 (£3285) per month for married couples. Most people have 2 other pensions to count on as well (employer pension and "third pillar").

Of course the fact that we get up to £1615 less pension per month by being married, means that Mrs iD and I will be getting a divorce 🤣😱 - on paper at least.

£2190/month sounds like a lot, but in cities like Zürich and Geneva, £2190 doesn't go very far. Both of these cites are home to some very serious and very "old" money - with a concomitant knock on effect.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Barry O said:

We met an American lady last year in Auckland.. she had gone "exploring" the rest of the cruise liner passengers stayed in their rooms...lummy.. Auckland is  a great place to have a look around with lots to do and see.. but no.. they were recovring from their 12 hour flight from California (put it into perspective, it took us 23 hours of so to get to NZ from the UK.. They were mortified!

The cruise left Auckland and went to Tauranga, Christchurch, Fijorland, Wellington , Melbourne , Sydney.. then home.. thats New Zealand and Australia covered in 10 days.... tick in box!

Baz

Pah, thats nothing, we 'did the world' in 16 days🙂

Admittedly 11 of them were in NZ arriving in LA before we departed Auckland. Apart from one night in Bangkok we have visited the other stop off points before or since then for longer.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, RobAllen said:

I wonder how many people are able to take 3 consecutive weeks of holiday on a regular basis before retirement?

Where I worked (Swiss HQ) quite a few.

As Switzerland has quite a few public holidays (and the company was generous in providing "bridge" days) with a bit of judicious planning a two week (10 working days) holiday could easily become a three week holiday.

The other thing was, at least when I worked there, work was episodic inasmuch as at certain times during a project's lifecycle it was "all hands on deck" with 12 hour days and weekend working; at other times as long you maintained "core hours" (about 4 hours/day), you could come in late and leave early. We called it "titrating our hours".

Furthermore, if we went way above a certain number of hours due to "the all hands on deck" project demands (such as preparing a submission for the regulatory agencies), then we were told to go away and not come back until all the extra hours had been used up. These did not count against holiday time.

The more I think about it, the more I realise how extremely fortunate I was with my employer of the best part of 20+ years.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

GREY POWER!

This past weekend the Swiss voted a) to increase the AHV [state pension], so from 2026 pensioners will get 13 monthly pension payments (two in November - helps cover end-of-year/Christmas costs) and b) to NOT increase the retirement age from 65 to 66.

The maximum AHV pension in Switzerland is currently CHF 2,450 (£2190) per month for an individual and CHF 3,675 (£3285) per month for married couples. Most people have 2 other pensions to count on as well (employer pension and "third pillar").

Of course the fact that we get up to £1615 less pension per month by being married, means that Mrs iD and I will be getting a divorce 🤣😱 - on paper at least.

£2190/month sounds like a lot, but in cities like Zürich and Geneva, £2190 doesn't go very far. Both of these cites are home to some very serious and very "old" money - with a concomitant knock on effect.

I think a lot of us here would appreciate a mere rise in Personal Tax Allowances* in the coming Budget. The Government seems to think that "tax cuts" will be more acceptable as an election bribe...

* They've been frozen since time immemorial

• Like 1
  • Agree 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The Government seems to think that "tax cuts" will be more acceptable as an election bribe...

They should try reframing that as "service cuts"...

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

GREY POWER!

I take it then that when the Brains Trust mets up again you'll be pleading poverty due to you being a) married and b) a poor destitute 'pensioner' - please note the exclamation marks around the word pensioner.

• Like 11
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

They should try reframing that as "service cuts"...

The tenor of the Mirror front page this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-68464778

As for the Personal Allowance, I got a brown from DWP a couple of weeks ago,  informing me that the current state pension consumes most of my tax allowance, and the rest of my pension will be prey to the Inland Revenue.  I then got another brown from DWP detailing the state pension increases from April.

Government ClawBack to fund the fatcat bribes.

As Bear would say, DEFINITELY A RANT!

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I think a lot of us here would appreciate a mere rise in Personal Tax Allowances* in the coming Budget. The Government seems to think that "tax cuts" will be more acceptable as an election bribe...

* They've been frozen since time immemorial

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I take it then that when the Brains Trust mets up again you'll be pleading poverty due to you being a) married and b) a poor destitute 'pensioner' - please note the exclamation marks around the word pensioner.

What annoys me about tax on pensions is if you have an occupational pension your state pension is added to it for tax purposes. Fair enough as far as the occupational pension goes as you don't pay tax on the contributions. But the contribution to state pensions is paid for from NI contributions on which tax is paid so you are effectively paying tax twice over on your state pension.

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I too would not like to go on a cruise, too many people and I hate crowds. 

I didn’t think I would like going on a cruise, mainly as I didn’t really want to go anywhere where there was a dress code more formal than I would normally wear. However, Aditi was keen so it would have been a bit mean to object. We have never been in one of the giant 5000 passenger ships. The biggest we have been on were about 2500 .The one we will be on in July has 2900.It has just completed sea trials, and will have done a few cruises before we cruise to Iceland. 
Some of the entertainment, like shows or lectures can be full but we don’t go to the entertainment so are not affected. Other busy times are people quieting to get off early on port calls. Unless we are on an organised tour we wander down after breakfast and avoid queues.  When we went on QM2 our cabins were at the front and our designated restaurant was at the back. In the evening we could walk to dinner and not see any other passengers until we arrived at the restaurant. It wasn’t deserted as there  were always cabin crew cleaning something en-route. I don’t think I would like to cruise as a single person, but I probably wouldn’t go on holiday anyway. Aditi enjoys travelling and I like going with her, I am sure I will learn lots about lava on our next holiday. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We stayed in bed a lot longer than planned, so I guess we needed the rest. Anyway, today’s weather is very much like yesterday’s, sunshine and blue skies, I wasn’t up early enough to see if we’d had frost or not! The plans for the day are to carry on with the cellar flooring, I’m hoping to get the smaller alcove finished and be part way, or even completely past the fireplace, by the time I call it a day. But there will be a lot of intricate cutting to do, so we’ll just have to see how things go. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

All this talk of cruises and holidays, I’ve just realised that apart from field trips which I’ve organised, and conferences, I’ve never stayed in an hotel for what may be termed a holiday. I have had to stay away on business, but that doesn’t count. We’ve always camped, self-catered when son was very small, or now in the caravan.

I cannot imagine going to a resort, whether on land or on a cruise ship, where you get waited on. That is my idea of hell. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

The downside is that no one looked after your work whilst away even if they were told to, so things would be chaotic on getting back and could be very stressfull

I think there's the Tuesday rule:

• If you're away for a week, Monday someone will pick up your work. By the Tuesday it's "They'll be back next week."
  • If you're away for two weeks, Monday someone will pick up your work. By the Tuesday it's "They'll be back a week on Monday."
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11